Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just have some issue with tailgate of GLC as it opens without any interactions from keys or person. It literally opens itself without anyone doing anything.

has anyone ever come across this?

any feedback much appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yup, I've had this happen perhaps about half a dozen times in the last 4 years. Luckily every occurrence has been on my drive. I suspect it is triggered by an intense RF field and one of the harmonics of that radio frequency is the same as the one used to operate the tailgate. This is not exactly unexpected as I live next-door to the communications centre for the SAS regiment here in Hereford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I've had this happen perhaps about half a dozen times in the last 4 years. Luckily every occurrence has been on my drive. I suspect it is triggered by an intense RF field and one of the harmonics of that radio frequency is the same as the one used to operate the tailgate. This is not exactly unexpected as I live next-door to the communications centre for the SAS regiment here in Hereford.
Thank you for your reply

In the mean time, I have gone thru the user manual and there was a useful tip as well. For your key fob, if you double click the ‘lock’ button, it disables the fob. This way you can eliminate fob being pressed accidentally.
Re radio interference, I guess there is not much we can do. I am thinking about disabling the keyless access and convert the car to manual key only vehicle...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Very good practice to switch off your key fob when not in use. Thieves use repeater devices to intercept the handshake codes continually sent by the fob which are then used to impersonate the key and unlock and start the car. Alternatively, some people pop their fobs in Faraday pouches when they are home so the transmissions are suppressed. A member on here lost his 2-week old GLC from his driveway a few years ago in this exact way. The Autowatch Ghost-II CANbus immobiliser is also a popular solution as this kind of theft becomes more prevalent.

Ghost Immobiliser

1 - 4 of 4 Posts