Mercedes GLC Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why just this morning I got out of the car and my white jeans rubbed against the bottom of the door frame! That's it, I'm taking it back and buying a Duster.. Yes, I'll say it. Another one buys a Duster....
Wow, white jeans and whiter teeth! That must be one vision! I bet you left the house saying to the wife - I want to break free, who wants to live forever, the show must go on so don't stop me now, it will be heaven for everyone. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
haha, very good. But I think you missed a pun there : - "I want to 'brake' free"

...I'll get my coat..

Reactions: Toobad

·
Registered
14 Posts
*** UPDATE ***
So, I brought my 2017 GLC300 to the dealership today after experiencing loud squealing brake noise and I have 2 things to share:

(1) They explained that MB brakes are designed to be used with moderate to heavy braking pressure, and there can be a transfer layer from the pads to the rotors that needs to be worn off with regular braking, otherwise some squealing noise can result. Also, this can be more noticeable in colder weather, which is what we experience here in Toronto.

(2) They still agreed to examine the brakes and ended up replacing all 4 pads and associated brake liners (in the brake shoes). What's interesting is that in the invoice, they printed the fact that this GLC300 brake squeal had MB technician tips #L142.10-P-064944 and #L142.10-P-065927 associated with the recommended repair to replace brake pads and liners. Even if this is an internal technician blog for tip sharing, or if this an official MB release, it tells us that this is a known issue with some type of corrective action.

No more squeal, but time will tell, especially as the weather gets colder, and dry again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
*** UPDATE ***
So, I brought my 2017 GLC300 to the dealership today after experiencing loud squealing brake noise and I have 2 things to share:

(1) They explained that MB brakes are designed to be used with moderate to heavy braking pressure, and there can be a transfer layer from the pads to the rotors that needs to be worn off with regular braking, otherwise some squealing noise can result. Also, this can be more noticeable in colder weather, which is what we experience here in Toronto.

(2) They still agreed to examine the brakes and ended up replacing all 4 pads and associated brake liners (in the brake shoes). What's interesting is that in the invoice, they printed the fact that this GLC300 brake squeal had MB technician tips #L142.10-P-064944 and #L142.10-P-065927 associated with the recommended repair to replace brake pads and liners. Even if this is an internal technician blog for tip sharing, or if this an official MB release, it tells us that this is a known issue with some type of corrective action.

No more squeal, but time will tell, especially as the weather gets colder, and dry again.
Good post, many thanks PDub

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 and took to dealership 3x already, replaced the break pads "supposedly" fixes the noise, well I live in Chicago and temp drops like crazy, noise is still there, not fixed. It's very embarrassing when everyone looks at you due to a very loud squeak. If anyone has suggestions for me to tell the dealership, please post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm taking mine in for the 2nd time next week. Mercedes supposedly had an official fix which was a newly designed brake pads. Obviously, DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. I'm still within my limit for the NJ Lemon Law (2 yrs/24k mi). So if they don't fix it this 2nd time, then I'm gonna proceed with applying for the Lemon Law.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Brake squeal !,
Looks like other car manuf are having the same issue, but doing a “spin doctor” to educate drivers that’s it’s totally ok to have this annoying noise, as it’s part of the design, characteristic or whatever you want to call it. First time I’ve read or heard of a brake disc being likened to a speaker !
I’ll have to rethink how I judge my Sonos or B&O systems and how hard I can drive them, before braking........ or wearing out the speaker cones.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1115149_porsche-wants-drivers-to-stop-worrying-about-brake-squeal
Enjoy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have a look at this post on UTube.
https://youtu.be/ivMB4WEGgZo
Excellent video on issue.
One take away is that MB I am told changed pad supplier earlier and as a result brake squeal intensified, possibly cheaper supplier ?
They have reverted to older supplier, with curved ends to minimise squeal.
Hope this video helps understand some of the issues with brake squeal. Reversing and getting squeal not discussed with this presentation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone experience issues with squeaky brakes when the car is put in reverse?
My brakes squeak every time I put the car reverse and
we have been told this is an inherent problem with the car.
Yes, we have had the same problem on our 2018 GLC. The dealer, which replaced the pads only to have the problem re-occur within a day, said it is a problem MB is aware of, and they hope to have a fix for it in the near future. I researched the issue online and it appears it has been happening for a few years and appears to be cold-weather related. We would not have leased the car had we known about this issue. The more we spend on cars, the lower the quality, as my 2009 Toyota Prius has had zero issues in 10 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 10 K miles on my 2018 GLC the brakes have been replaced twice. First I was told its just brake dust scraping off. The pads were replaced. Second time I was told its a manf. defect and they pads were again replace and they had my car for two days. Third time in "can't do anything." Now they are screeching again, forward and backward. MB is very aware of the issue and I am supposedly on a list for manf. new pads due out in AUGUST! Seriously, supposed to just llive with it for 6 more months. I have filed a complaint with MB CAC. Next stop NHTSB and FTC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 GLC Squeeky Breaks

I purchase a new 2018 GLC last October. I have had it in already once for new breaks now it's squeaking again. This was not disclosed prior to purchase however it seems a very known issue with only the GLC models. I was told by my service advisor at Mercedes of Littleton that Mercedes is working on another fix available November 2018. Really????? I think this is fraudulent that these dealers sell these new cards knowing of this defect and do not disclose it prior to purchase!!!!! Love to set up a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
GLC prices for 250d. Australian Dollars, about 0.79c for $1.00 Us.
Fr brake discs – A0004212312 – was $836, paid $710 , all prices inc GST (10% in Oz).
TS disk brake pad set – A0004207900 – was $272, paid $231.
Brake pad wear indicator – A1695401617 – was $19.42, paid $16.50.
Rear brake discs – A0004230712 – $380.60, paid $323.50.
TS disk brake pad – A0004205900 – $188, paid $159.
Front wiper blade set -A2058205800 – $109.82, paid $93.35.
Rear wiper blade -A1178200045 – $26.70, paid $24.00
Hope these prices help with Dealer Parts Dept or direct import pricing either from OS or Oz based importers.
Tool bag – A1665800400 – Veh jack, wheel stop, locating pin, gloves, etc quoted $155.55, a good price.
Mini spare, – A2534000300 – 4.5x19h2 T155/80r 19 114m, quoted $763.46.
Fabric bag -A0005851000 – to carry spare $294.37. Is expensive.
As always, Dealer support is two way and prices ensure OEM certified parts for your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I picked up my replacement new GLC 250d at the end of December 2017 the brakes squealed from the start - took the car to the dealership and told they couldn't find a problem, sure enough for 2 days following no squeals, then it started again not as bad going forward but horrible in reverse! My rear disks unlike the front are not smooth and have score marks and are rough to the touch when I pointed this out I was told that the breaks needed to be "bedded in”. Earlier I said "replacement" as I purchased my first GLC in December 2016 This failed on no less than 7 occasions with an electrical fault draining the battery this wasn't resolved and resulted in me rejecting the car. You think you’re buying quality but it’s not always the case,a pity really as the car has some really good features not least the 9-speed gearbox

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 GLC300 and tried to ignore the squeaking break issue for about a month - thinking it would just wear itself in... I mean, it is a brand new car... maybe *too* new, I reasoned, and needed a little softening, like breaking in shoes or something. Finally, it just became too embarrassing - nice new Mercedes, sounds like an old Kia Sportage or something. I've taken it in 2 times to the dealership and both times they claim to have fixed it. Today was keeping my fingers crossed, but to my frustration, noticed the same squeaking tonight. This happens when going in reverse only. Dealership claims MBUSA knows about it and has recommended this specific fix (the second thing they tried, I mean... which was replacing with some different kind of brake pad I guess - which is what I thought they did the first time 4 days ago). Anyhooooo.... squeak was there again tonight. What do you do? The dealer doesn't know how to fix this problem, it seems. I have 2,900 miles on the car - drive it less than 1,000/mo and it sounds hideous coming out of the driveway in the morning and backing up from my parking spot at work at night. I'm not one usually to complain if I don't also have a solution to suggest, but I'm at a loss...

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I have seen lots of posts on this on different forums and as far as I am aware it only happens on the GLC300 in the US, has anybody in other markets heard of the problem there. If it is only in the US surely the answer is to fit the brake pads fitted in the rest of the world!.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have seen lots of posts on this on different forums and as far as I am aware it only happens on the GLC300 in the US, has anybody in other markets heard of the problem there. If it is only in the US surely the answer is to fit the brake pads fitted in the rest of the world!.
Just read this from the start and the counties affected seem to be Canada, US and one from Australia

Just wondered how hard everyone is braking when this happens, does it happen when coming to a stop from 30mph at a junction (moderate brake force) or when shaving 5 - 10 mph off when cruising (light pressure) or all the time

Also the problem seems to be cold weather related (as do most GLC problems)

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Petester says it happens when he is reversing, doubt if that is 30mph.

Seems more related to GLC300 than temperature.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was wondering if glazing was the problem, I had something similar on a VW campervan, I fitted some 944 calipers and disc a and the brakes would glaze up during normal use and screech like a banshee. Once glazed the only way to fix was to redress the pads and clean the discs which kind of ties into the temporary fix with the dealers changing the pads.

I did manage to fix the problem on the camper by getting the discs cross drilled and using softer green pads, though not much help for you guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES,GLC 300 2017, loud squeaking front break when applied.only 1300 km.My dealer will change front break .I hope it works.it is a shame to have luxury vehicle with squeaking breaks.Regina.Canada
I too have the same problem. Brakes replaced under warranty but squealing still persists. Under 5000 km on the car. Very disappointed.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts