Mercedes GLC Forum banner

GLC300 brake issues

88K views 107 replies 66 participants last post by  The Worst and Nothing 
#1 ·
Has anyone experience issues with squeaky brakes when the car is put in reverse?
My brakes squeak every time I put the car reverse and
we have been told this is an inherent problem with the car.

#68 ·
I have a 2017 GLC300 and started experiencing the squeaking in reverse around 22,000 miles. It has become worse over time and also has a minor squeak at low speeds when going forward now. The squeak seems to coincide with colder weather but Las Vegas isn't really that cold. Just took it to my local dealer and they told me it would be over $600 to replace all 4 brake pads with a newer style that may or may not fix the problem. This was also not covered under the extended warranty on my certified pre-owned vehicle which was just inspected and purchased in July 2018 (I have barely put 8,000 miles on it). For those of you who have had the new style of brake pads, was this cost covered by the dealership under any type of warranty or did you pay out of pocket? Do the latest pads solve the issue or not?

#70 ·
We are in Botswana and bought our GLC 250 in September last year and have had the same squeaking brake problem. Today, the car is in the garage for the 5th time. it is disheartening to realize that Mercedes Benz have had and known about this problem for years and are still selling cars that squeak and are still unable to fix the problem.

#72 ·
Hi everyone. I came across this site after searching for info on the brake squeaking on my GLC. I looked for the rear brake pad using the part number that Aldo provided but didn't see anything online. Has anyone tried third-party brake pads on the rear to see if those help? I found some ceramic pads on Amazon (can't link to them since I'm new), as an example. I'm out of warranty so I'm trying to find a pad I can get my hands on and swap them out myself to fix the issue.

#74 ·
I bought a pre-owned 2016 GLC 300 with 10,000 miles. I have owned the car for 3 months and the squeaky sound is getting louder and louder. I happens on reverse and it's also happening even when I stop for traffic lights. I took it to the dealer. They cleaned the roders and the squeaking noise continues same. It is so embarrassing. I will call the dealer and bring the car again next week. I am so disappointed. Will keep you posted.

#75 ·
I have owned my GLC 300 for 3 years now (still under warranty) and each of those 3 years, I have had the "loud squeal while reversing" in the winter days. I have taken multiple times to different MB dealerships (one in NH and one in MA) and they replaced the pads (front and rear) a couple of times but, the problem still exists. It happens only in cold months (which is about 5 to 6 months for us in the Northeast). What an embarrassment that a luxury car maker cannot fix this problem!! I'm taking my car again tomorrow to the dealership to see what they can do. Any class-action lawsuit, I'm with you guys as MB is just beyond apathetic

#76 ·
I was able to take mine into the dealer back in June and they replaced the front pads and the noise is gone. At least, it hasn't come back yet and we've had some pretty cold weather. If it helps, the code listed next to the pad on my invoice is 000-420-65-02. They also replaced the brake wear sensor, 169-540-16-17. They added a note stating "Found noise coming from front pads when backing up code as per LI42.10-P-063978"

Maybe that will help for anyone trying to work with a dealer who has the same issue I had.

#77 ·
Thanks for the info.
Car going in tomorrow and the service girl has told me that brakes are not covered under warranty and if I want ANYTHING done I will have to pay them for it!
Will be quoting all this to them!

#78 ·
Sitting in MB garage and have just been told yet again that the SERIOUS BRAKE SQUEAL on my 2017 GLC is not covered under warranty. I even showed them a video of how bad it is and quoted all the info and part numbers listed above but they are having none of it. They want over £450 to replace the front and rear pads. 😱

#79 ·
Has anyone experience issues with squeaky brakes when the car is put in reverse?
I have terrible issues when putting my 2019-GLC 300 in reverse. The squeak can last for up to 20 seconds. I have brought the car into Mercedes, have had the brake pads replaced, and 500 miles later, it still does squeaks like crazy. Mercedes says they know about the issue and are aware of it. That really helps me a lot. Had I known about this prior or had someone advised me when I purchased the car, I would never have bought it.

#80 ·
Yes and this is ridiculous and they can't fix it. They go through some procedures and replace some items. I never hear car luxury cars doing this. This is not right for Mercedes to think this is okay.

#91 ·
Trillende remmen bij koud en nat

Hoi,
even kijken of iemand op de plug-in hybride GLC 350e een trillende of trillende rem heeft ervaren, vooral tijdens de eerste 1-2 keer remmen bij lage snelheid als de auto nog koud en/of nat is? Ik heb de remmen laten nakijken bij de dealer, maar die vonden niets aan de hand. Mijn auto heeft sinds nieuw (mei 2017) slechts 16000 km op de teller. Maar dit schudden van de remmen is het grootste deel van die tijd aanwezig geweest. Ik vermoed dat dit probleem iets te maken heeft met de overgang tussen regeneratief remmen en regulier hydraulisch remmen. Ik begrijp dat de auto is geprogrammeerd om het remsysteem te testen tijdens de eerste 1-2 keer remmen, elke keer dat hij start. Eventuele opmerkingen?
[/CITAAT]
Ik heb hetzelfde probleem auto trilt tijdens remmen lage snelheid vooral bij 1 en 2 keer remmen.

Ik heb de auto naar de garage gebracht, ze hebben niets abnormaals gevonden, maar het probleem is altijd aanwezig!

Is het probleem voor je opgelost?

#95 ·
I had this issue, about 2 years ago. The car is driven very gently on a daily basis by my Dad. Took is to MB they wanted £700+ for new discs and pads [emoji23]. The car was 2 years old with about 16k miles on it. I took the car and done a few emergency brake stops and some hard braking and it never happened again. I gotta add that the brake pads and discs wear very quickly.
Pads changed at 26k miles and now on 32k miles with MB saying the rotors are now worn. I can’t believe it, the cars 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#99 ·
I have a 2020 GLC 300 coupe and have been experiencing this issue since January of 2021. I am on my fourth visit with the brakes and now looking to take legal action because the dealership made me pay out of pocket to replace the brakes and rotors and are now trying to get me to replace the front brakes and rotors which have been documented as fine.

I called Mercedes customer service to request to terminate my lease immediately. I am told that this process can take 6-8 weeks.

#100 ·
Sorry to hear you are having the brake squeal issue. I would go to another MB dealer if there is one in your area. Hold your cards on other dealer wanting you to do front brakes. Record a video on your phone and show service advisor, then send to she/he so it can be documented and shared with Technician, if needed. Also, ask the new dealer to confirm what Generation pads were used on your car; maybe you have an older generation?? If so, more cause for your case.Your current dealer seems a little suspect IMO with what you have stated. See what the new dealer comes back with as a course of action. If it is a 180 degree change, you have some ammo in speaking with MB USA. Hey, my original dealer told me I needed new front brakes and second dealer confirms they are fine!
I'm guessing you are outside the window for Lemon Law??

Call MB USA and request to speak with Executive Services. Be firm but polite. They are not the best at follow-up so be prepared for some work on your side. Personally, I would come from the position that you know it is an issue (i.e. GLC forums, Youtube (my favorite video :) ), & that MB has had several Versions/updates of the pads to rectify the noise). They sometimes do a "one time courtesy". My second replacement has helped about 70 percent. All pads squeal in cold. GLC's are just a bad design that has a latent defect which makes they REALLY bad. I'm just dealing with it and hope the next upcoming 2nd generation GLC has no issues. If you get them to say yes to replacing the brakes push for new rotors as well- especially if you have some miles logged on the car; no sense putting new pads on rotors that will wear out before pads, plus the rotors may be part of the squeal issue in conjunction w/ pads). Tell them I want to continue being a MB customer with all my future car purchases (politely put the ball in their court). If you get some run-around, write a letter to MB Dimitris Psillakis, Mercedes-Benz USA president and CEO. Light a fire under the Exec. Services advisor. You will most likely still have the same person so that's who you have to deal with.... If they say yes to new pads and rotors ask what about me paying for the pads and rotors when you have replaced brakes for others?? Say, can you reimburse me by applying to my lease payments?? I'm looking for fairness from a Luxury brand....

Best of luck.
I love the car when it is running properly. With MB selling over 2.5 million GLC's so what I have read, it's a shame they are treating people in such a manner.
At least your car has normal tires and not the absolutely horrible run-flat noise machines that wear out in 20k miles.

#102 ·
Sorry to hear you are having the brake squeal issue. I would go to another MB dealer if there is one in your area. Hold your cards on other dealer wanting you to do front brakes. Record a video on your phone and show service advisor, then send to she/he so it can be documented and shared with Technician, if needed. Also, ask the new dealer to confirm what Generation pads were used on your car; maybe you have an older generation?? If so, more cause for your case.Your current dealer seems a little suspect IMO with what you have stated. See what the new dealer comes back with as a course of action. If it is a 180 degree change, you have some ammo in speaking with MB USA. Hey, my original dealer told me I needed new front brakes and second dealer confirms they are fine!
I'm guessing you are outside the window for Lemon Law??

Call MB USA and request to speak with Executive Services. Be firm but polite. They are not the best at follow-up so be prepared for some work on your side. Personally, I would come from the position that you know it is an issue (i.e. GLC forums, Youtube (my favorite video :) ), & that MB has had several Versions/updates of the pads to rectify the noise). They sometimes do a "one time courtesy". My second replacement has helped about 70 percent. All pads squeal in cold. GLC's are just a bad design that has a latent defect which makes they REALLY bad. I'm just dealing with it and hope the next upcoming 2nd generation GLC has no issues. If you get them to say yes to replacing the brakes push for new rotors as well- especially if you have some miles logged on the car; no sense putting new pads on rotors that will wear out before pads, plus the rotors may be part of the squeal issue in conjunction w/ pads). Tell them I want to continue being a MB customer with all my future car purchases (politely put the ball in their court). If you get some run-around, write a letter to MB Dimitris Psillakis, Mercedes-Benz USA president and CEO. Light a fire under the Exec. Services advisor. You will most likely still have the same person so that's who you have to deal with.... If they say yes to new pads and rotors ask what about me paying for the pads and rotors when you have replaced brakes for others?? Say, can you reimburse me by applying to my lease payments?? I'm looking for fairness from a Luxury brand....

Best of luck.
I love the car when it is running properly. With MB selling over 2.5 million GLC's so what I have read, it's a shame they are treating people in such a manner.
At least your car has normal tires and not the absolutely horrible run-flat noise machines that wear out in 20k miles.

Thanks! This is very helpful! I actually reached out to MB USA today and they have escalated the issue. I have requested to terminate my lease due to faulty mechanics of the car and repeated unresolved issues with the brake pads and rotors after replacing them with money out of my own pocket in December of 2022. My next step is also to write a letter so this was very helpful. Thank you so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.