Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for adding me as a member. I have a 2018 GLC43, only 9 weeks old. I traded my CLA45 in for it. Starting to think it was the worse decision I have ever made. I have been reading with interest the discussion regarding the jerkiness and "bunny hopping" of the car when it is predominantly in Sports+ mode. This has occurred to me many times and to such an extent that I am now quite apprehensive to even drive it in this mode at all. I have had it back to the dealership 3 times now. On the first visit, they advised me that the AMG technicians agreed there was an issue and had 'tweaked' the car to try and alleviate the problem. Drove it out and when it was warmed up, put it into Sports+ mode to see how it would go. Same bloody thing happened. Back again. This time they said 'it was just how the car is" and to only drive it in Comfort mode. Seriously? That was their fix? So after taking it back again, and they again told me it was just how the car is and to accept it - well no. I will not be accepting it at all. I have now lodged a formal complaint with our Department of Fair Trading against the dealership. There is clearly a fault with this car in this mode. To have the car jerk so violently as to almost give you whiplash, not to mention you may crack your forehead on the steering wheel when it is happening - and be told to just accept it as part of the performance of the car - that is a complete joke from Mercedes. I am up for a fight with them on this :mad: - I even believe the car should be recalled due to safety concerns. Happy for people's thoughts.
Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think sport plus is for track days and it's not really suitable for use on the public highway as it is really sensitive and you need a very light right foot , definitely only for the open road not around town . I'm quite happy with comfort and the occasional use of sport when I can find that rare commodity a bit of open road. I'm sorry you don't like your 43 I really love mine .

Regards Andrew

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum, can you please add your location to your profile so we know where you are based.

I rarely have my car in sport+ as I find comfort plenty fast enough, will give it a try later and report what I find.

As Andrew says I would guess sport+ isn't suitable around town and in my opinion not needed, I also love my 43.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Tried sport+ around town at 30 and 40 mph, it was ok but wouldn't use it by choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have tried Sport and Sport + and found both of them to give a lovely throttle response but an over aggressive gear change. It's a pity we can't alter the engine throttle response to be Sport and the gearbox to remain in comfort mode. The gear box in comfort mode is plenty quick enough and some of the changes in comfort are still pretty savage when using plenty of throttle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
You can adjust the sports/ comfort setup and take your preference from each.. same way you can turn off the stop start..
roll the mode selector wheel to 'I' then use the big selector wheel to move around each of the 4 selections and press to change their options..
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
You can adjust the sports/ comfort setup and take your preference from each.. same way you can turn off the stop start..
roll the mode selector wheel to 'I' then use the big selector wheel to move around each of the 4 selections and press to change their options..
Hope this helps!
You can set up an individual mode (currently have steering - SPORT, stop / start - OFF, suspension - COMFORT and engine / gearbox - COMFORT) you can't however set up the engine and gearbox independently of each other so they are both either in comfort or Sport etc. I would like to be able to select a sport setting for the engine giving better throttle response and a comfort setting for the gearbox and I don't think this can be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just experienced violent jerks when the car was in Sports+ mode in the first gear around 4000 RPM. Began searching internet and this thread popped up. It's a bit of a relief that my incident is not unique but it is somewhat depressing that apparently there's no fix except for not using Sports+. This is my wife's car so she probably won't notice but I did enjoy taking it for a spin occasionally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi @Tony100, really interested in this, what was you doing at 4000 rpm in 1st gear when the violent jerking occurred, i.e. was you coming off throttle, keeping a steady throttle or increasing the throttle.

Also @JAWILSON24 does this sound similar to what is happening with you (high revs and low gear)?

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi @Tony100, really interested in this, what was you doing at 4000 rpm in 1st gear when the violent jerking occurred, i.e. was you coming off throttle, keeping a steady throttle or increasing the throttle.

Cheers
Hi Visa. The car was mildly accelerating uphill after slowing down at a speed bump.

Anyway, after three days at OD and few hundred miles with attached diagnostic computer got a new software and a statement from OD that jerking is ok in Sport+ mode and results in most cases from uneven pressure on the gas pedal after the initial jerk. I am not sure I entirely buy into this explanation but was able to replicate the problem by a series of a quick press and release motions with the gas pedal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts