Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New to the group here living in Rhineland-Pfalz, Germany. I am soon to be a 2019 GLC43 owner. As I am due to receive it in the next month I was wondering what size range wheel the GLC43 will accommodate? It will come with the 21" wheel and performance tyre, and there are no winter/all season tyres available for that size I was wondering what people are using for the winter months. We do not get an excessive amount of snowfall, but slush and black ice is common when it does. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 255/50/R19 on 19x8.5 inch wheels on our GLC43 AMG. They worked very well in the Colorado snow last winter. Factory wheels are 21. We use them May-Oct

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help. If you do not mind, what wheels/rims are you using? I've found a set by DRC, 19" DRC DLA Black Polished Alloy Wheels, that are almost a direct knock off of the 21" that will be on the vehicle on arrival. They only come in 19", so that was a dimension that I was concerned with in respect to the front brakes. If you have been using the 19's already I assume you are having no clearance issues. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
I have the 20 inch merc AMG wheels on mine, will check what winter tyres it has on tomorrow - wheels and tyres fitted by main dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked with a dealer here, Kaiserslautern, DE, and was quoted $4270 for the four corner set in 20" OEM with Michelin Pilot Alpine 5. That is just seems a little steep for a winter set up.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
I checked with a dealer here, Kaiserslautern, DE, and was quoted $4270 for the four corner set in 20" OEM with Michelin Pilot Alpine 5. That is just seems a little steep for a winter set up.
Not as dear as the UK, the wheels with tyres cost £4500, will update on which tyres later.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Tyres are Dunlop winter sport5 255/45 R20

·
Registered
412 Posts
there's a reason why they're called stealerships and that's one prime reason. I suggest you shop around and see what independent tire shops have to offer.
often around this time of the year you can find great deals and even group buys for prices you wouldn't find anywhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 20" wheels on mine and recently purchased a set of 255/50 R19 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires and a set of replica 19" machined gunmetal wheels c/w TPM sensors. Total price including taxes was $2,440 CAN. I plan on installing them next week.
I run Blizzaks on my other MB (2013 GL350). They are fantastic and wear exceptionally well. They are now 6 years old and still have lots of tread left. When checking prices, I found the 19" were about $100 per tire less expensive than the 20" and the wheels were about $50 less, each. They will also ride a little smoother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have since installed my winter tires (see above post #9), altho we still do not have any snow where we live. They have had snow already at higher mountain elevations, not to far away.

So far, I am very impressed with the tires and wheels. I will attach some pics. The most noticeable thing is how much nicer the ride is with these tires compared to the 20" run-flats. They just seem to nicely absorb the bumps or pavement breaks, compared to the harsher ride of the run-flats. Once the run-flats wear out, I will replace them with conventional tires.

I was also concerned about the possibility of a flat tire and resolved that issue quite inexpensively. I went to an auto wrecker and purchased a 19" space saver tire. According to the felt pen marker writing on the wheel, it came off of a 2014 ML. The OD of the tire is 28 3/4", only about 1/4" smaller than the original 20" tires and the taller 19" Blizzaks. The other nice thing is that it still fits in the "hold" under the back floor, altho snugly. The only catch is that the "space saver" will only fit on the back axle. The brake callipers on the front are to big to allow it. So, if worse came to worse and I had a flat on the front, I would have to mount the spare on the back axle and move that tire to the front. I purchased the wheel/tire c/w scissor jack, wheel studs, wrench, guide bolt for $210 CAN total.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good to know that 19" wheels will work although I'm really hoping for 18". I was able to fit 18" winter wheels on our GLA45... I wonder if the GLC43 uses the same front brakes as the GLA45?

·
Registered
15 Posts
We ran aftermarket 19 in wheels on our AMG43 255/50/19 and 235/55/19 shame your in Germany as I’m selling them.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
MB recommend 20 inch wheels with the same size tyres front and rear in the winter on the 43.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MB recommend 20 inch wheels with the same size tyres front and rear in the winter on the 43.
I was sure I had a printout of what was OK as winter tyres, I'll have a look. If its like BMW then they normally recommend a square set up for snow. As we don't get much in the UK the wider rear I think is better for just the cold?
Cheers
Rob

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Same size tyres are recommended for winter, regardless of snow or just cold. Mine were fitted by MB free of charge after I went to the ombudsman with the crabbing problem on my 43. I had 19 inch wheels on mine but they fitted 20 inch wheels with winter tyres.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts