Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks,

I am considering defecting from my Audi Q5 to a GLC250 AMG line SUV. My Audi has been good but is coming up to 3 years old and had it from new. Car been good but even the new one is looking a little safe and even dated in comparison to the Merc.

So have been to see local dealer and have arranged a test drive for next weekend. Have been pricing up through Carwow as have used before and very useful for saving a few pennies. So far local guy who was very nice, friendly and professional has made us an offer however a dealer 120 miles away has made an offer £2000 cheaper. I have advised my dealer and he says he cannot budge as prices set by directors. Welcome any opinions on this.

Regarding choice of car, am looking at the Brilliant Blue with Black pack. Car will be used occasionally for hauling my wobble box so a towbar will be factored in as will upgraded infotainment system. The B & O system in the Audi though dated sounds awesome.

Looking forward to the drive and go from there...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Mobydick,
Thought I recognised the handle! I'm in the same position and have had 4 Q5's and never had a problem with any of them. However, when I came to spec the new one there seemed to be a big price hike from Audi. My dealer also would not budge and I have been offered a GLC Sport with Prem. Plus, Intel, Headlights, Off-Road Pack and 360 Camera for less than I paid for my Q5 three years ago. Much more kit for my bucks. It's a no-brainer, if, and its a big 'if', Mercedes sort out the current juddering problem on full-lock.
(Agree on the B&O sound)

Reactions: Muks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello Mobydick,

Agreed - the GLC is a good car for the price. My wife has a white 250d AMG Line on 20" wheels, it looks great and very comfortable. However, I have to mention the problem many, not all, GLC owners are experiencing - wheel juddering - which MB are calling a characteristic of the car. The problem appears more pronounced on cars with larger wheels and the dealers are telling customers to buy a set of winter tyres, which after owning many different 4x4's doesn't seem right - have never needed to fit winters on any other car.

Google > GLC wheel judder - take a look at the YouTube videos and other forum comments. The Honest John web site has some very interesting comments and many unhappy owners, but again, not all.

Our GLC appears to be eating the front tyres, after only 8,500 miles they have approx anther 2,000 life in them = 10k miles in total. I would expect at least 18k miles on such a family suv. Ask the dealer what kind of mileage you should expect on new tyres?

I would recommend going back and re-test driving the exact car you are buying to check you can live with the juddering and bouncing fault. Also ask the dealer for their comments - will they be prepared to supply the car with winter tyres - most dealers do not, even though MB recommend winters when temp falls below 7 degrees C.

Apologise if this all sounds negative, but after buying what we had hoped would be a luxury car, we are now embarrassed to take friends and family out in the car. They get quite frightened by the noise and bouncing, I feel sick and depressed at the thought of driving our almost £50k car off the drive, into or out of a parking space, around tight corners :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Moby and welcome to the forum. Whilst CarWow are to be commended for their excellent website, car reviews and photography, I suspect the end user is subsidising this somewhat. When I bought my 220d Sport Premium Plus back last January I was able to get a far better deal through Orange Wheels. Have a look here:
GLC Prices on Orange Wheels
They charge a fixed introduction fee to the dealer and leave you to continue negotiations directly with that dealer. I got a discount of 8% off the net list price before VAT which was far better than anybody through Car Wow was offering.

Yes, crabbing is most definitely an issue with many of the GLC models being supplied and does seem to affect those in AMG Line trim and those with lower profile tyres more than the other variants. I believe Mercedes are now pulling their head out of the sand and investigating the issue but it would do no harm to ask your dealer for a written statement confirming your right to reject the car for a penalty-free refund should it exhibit this trait. My car doesn't suffer from the problem and it is, without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome.

A lot to consider already! Hurley we must have passed on the Q5 forum. Love the car but it has become a dinosaur now and new one is just old fashioned already.

The Lock Judder is a major consideration and ridiculous to maintain you must fit winter tyres to eradicate the issue is plain bloody stupid, however if the matter being investigated they must be acknowledging the problem. And agree signed paperwork if I order is the way to go. For what wil be around £45K car to do this is just unacceptable...

Orange Wheels now I will investigate them. The dealer down South has not returned my message from yesterday yet so will try Orange wheels, however surely if they approach the same dealers then the price will be the same?

Still love the look of the car and cleaned the interior of the Q5 yesterday and after sitting in the GLC on Saturday it is so dated, quality yes, but dated....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick update on this. Priced up with Orange wheels and Drive the Deal and they didn't beat the Carwow price. However!!!!

I messaged the dealer concerned on Sunday evening to discuss further and no reply, and they have been reminded by Carwow to respond but still nothing. So would I want to spend £40K+ with a dealer like this as to avoid incurring the Tax penalty being introduced in April time will be crucial if I order one.

Will be better off sticking with the local guy I liked on meeting and felt I could trust him. If the car is late I shall be paying £500 PA Tax so that will kill any saving made...

Seems money doesn't always talk eh.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
A quick update on this. Priced up with Orange wheels and Drive the Deal and they didn't beat the Carwow price. However!!!!

I messaged the dealer concerned on Sunday evening to discuss further and no reply, and they have been reminded by Carwow to respond but still nothing. So would I want to spend £40K+ with a dealer like this as to avoid incurring the Tax penalty being introduced in April time will be crucial if I order one.

Will be better off sticking with the local guy I liked on meeting and felt I could trust him. If the car is late I shall be paying £500 PA Tax so that will kill any saving made...

Seems money doesn't always talk eh.....
Hi Mobydick,
Hope it all works out for you. Not familiar with Carwow but is there a way you can prompt them and give the dealer one last chance in case there are mitigating circumstances?
We ordered on the 21st Jan and have been given delivery date of mid March - like you hoping to avoid tax penalty. It must be getting very tight to order in time. (In the past with Audi I have found all my dealers to be fine until I took delivery of the vehicle)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi, I'm in a very similar position. I've got a four yr old Q5 S line plus and am swapping to the amg. Managed to get 10% from the dealer I went to which beat carwow and orange wheels. I agree the B & O in the Q5 is brilliant in my opinion and am hoping the merc bermester can live up to it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I'm in a very similar position. I've got a four yr old Q5 S line plus and am swapping to the amg. Managed to get 10% from the dealer I went to which beat carwow and orange wheels. I agree the B & O in the Q5 is brilliant in my opinion and am hoping the merc bermester can live up to it!
Hello MUKS, Seems like a bit of a defection from Audi Q5 owners going on here!

10% is a massive saving, can I ask where abouts you live? Will be doing the negotiations at the weekend and need leverage, still no reply from the other dealer despite another message so do not wish to trust them on this as a lot of money to put in someone's account out my pocket..

Sunday 11am test drive and hope weather holds out...:smile2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Even better for saving will be those that own businesses and have this GLC under that business, lots of things to write off ;)

Gas being one of the and a big one, no one like reoccurring costs especially when its happening at least once a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts