Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking around the edges of this forum for a while, as I've been looking at getting a GLC in early 2019, specifically the AMG43. My bubble was somewhat deflated having seen the issues regarding crabbing etc, but undeterred I'm still looking and a couple of examples have caught my eye.

Good to see some useful tips/advice for other areas of the model.

Once the festive period is over with and my retirement starts in earnest, I shall report back, hopefully with some good news.

Flapps

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Flapps and welcome to the forum. Most of us here find the GLC to be a superb vehicle in all respects other than its tyre skipping qualities. Obviously you can mitigate the problem by choosing smaller diameter rims which will allow the increased tyre sidewall to flex better and mask the problem. All-season tyres can alleviate the problem provided they are available in your chosen rim size. At least you will be entering negotiations with your eyes wide open and in the strongest position to make stipulations. I'm sure a 43 will bring forth an immense amount of fun for your retirement years and allow you to grow old disgracefully.

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Welcome Flapps, the 43 is a great car except for the crabbing, I have the standard wheels on mine - 19 inch - and it is awful. Only way around it is to fit winter tyres for the cold weather as MB do not approve the fitting of all weathers to the GLC43.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cheers for the welcome Gents

Growing old disgracefully is the way forward in my view.

The examples I'm currently looking are 2018 models and have the 21" wheels fitted (I like the stance and how the wheel fits in the arch with the 21"s) I did raise the crabbing issue with the sales rep at my local dealership recently and he stated that the crabbing issue was effecting more of the coupe version than the SUV and he was basing that on the amount that he'd seen coming through the workshop!

I've read the crabbing post on here, all 102 pages of it! and it seems as though changing the 21' tyres isnt going to happen as far MB are concerned. I'll just have to see how it goes with the particluar one I eventually pick, how it handles on full lock and take it from there.

Flapps

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Typical sales rep is talking nonsense, the crabbing affects all RHD glc's no matter what wheel size.

The 43 is a brilliant car and without doubt the best performance suv on the market for the money

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phil, I take the ABC approach when dealing with sales reps.....Accept nothing, Believe nothing and Confirm everything....:laugh::laugh:

Flapps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts