Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon from 'Rainy' UK, Gravesend to be exact.
Just sold our ML and replacing with a more modern 220glc, 2018 model. Thankfully was given advice on the 'crabbing issues' and having that done before the cars picked up, touch wood tomorrow as this purchase has dragged on for near on 3 weeks after initial agreement to purchase, just as well it's fully loaded (to a degree' and only 9k on the clock from a Merc Director.

Still, the advice I'm after, spoke with sales chappie re how much better the vertical slat 'amg style' grills look, he agreed and said many people are changing them. I then discussed i'd like to purchase 'oem' and have them fitted before the car was collected, sale guy then back tracked and said only 'larger engined amg models could accept fitment) and I'd have to purchase aftermarket. Does anyone know if this Is this the case, or have i been fobbed off? If i have to go aftermarket, anyone used a reputable source for their purchase as there's a myriad of suppliers all static the grills fit, but the minute you mention 360' camera, all fall silent and our car will have this camera setup.

Any advice greatly appreciated, hope we're getting a good car (especially with our ML overnight theft story behind us now).....
thx
M

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello from a not so rainy Sussex!! How are you finding the GLC so far?

I bought a facelift 2019 GLC 300D recently and like you wanted the PanAmerica style slatted grill. I don't have the 360 camera mind you.

I found a good seller on ebay- I have attached a screen shot of his shop below. My grill is all black but he lists a black and chrome version suitable for your year and for the 360 degree camera so worth a try?

The shop that fitted my grill said it was good quality and went in fine- I think it looks much better! That and getting the chrome trim vinyl wrapped black has completely changed the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much better!
Yep, that makes it look so much better. My wife purchased a 220d, so be to honest, i'm finding way less responsive to the 350ml she had before, but that said, it is a lovely car, enjoying it for sure and we've had a ghost system fitted for peace of mind being keyless. Thanks for link, I did actually purchase one yesterday from a company on ebay, fingers crossed its all good, should arrive tomorrow I'm told. Was it easy to fit? or did you get a workshop to fit it?.....thx, M

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, that makes it look so much better. My wife purchased a 220d, so be to honest, i'm finding way less responsive to the 350ml she had before, but that said, it is a lovely car, enjoying it for sure and we've had a ghost system fitted for peace of mind being keyless. Thanks for link, I did actually purchase one yesterday from a company on ebay, fingers crossed its all good, should arrive tomorrow I'm told. Was it easy to fit? or did you get a workshop to fit it?.....thx, M
I hadn't driven either the 220 or 300 but knew the 300 had more poke so went for that! I purchased in April when prices were sensible- my car would be 6k more now.....mad!

May I ask how much the ghost was? Sounds appealing as that is a concern. I didn't realise until playing with the app last night that the location services etc are all a subscription and have to be renewed periodically.

Which grill did you get- all black or chrome/black?

I had mine fitted by ab independent in Eastbourne- he removed the bumper. Apparently it can be done in situ but is much harder and he needed to take the bumper off to wrap the chrome bottom lip anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ghost we paid £449, came to our house and installed in about 20 mins, brilliant. Only done it as the ML we were selling was advertised on a Monday morn, first person to view that day cloned the key and stole it that evening, thankfully found the following morning parked up, think he may have got spooked not realising he was 'the' only person to view and we had his phone number. Was far to easy and quick, so this car being keyless needed something for peace of mind, only way it can be stolen is to be lifted and taken, impossible to drive unless they fluke the code pattern my wife put in. We also purchased a couple of apple air tags, purchased 4 for £100, 2 in my boxtser 2 in the merc, so both of our phones can track either car if they do get removed....battery has to be replaced yearly, worth the investment. As for Grill, gone with black and chromed, purely as car id dark blue, black would have made the car look too heavy,....she should have purchased black car (as yours), looks superb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't driven either the 220 or 300 but knew the 300 had more poke so went for that! I purchased in April when prices were sensible- my car would be 6k more now.....mad!

May I ask how much the ghost was? Sounds appealing as that is a concern. I didn't realise until playing with the app last night that the location services etc are all a subscription and have to be renewed periodically.

Which grill did you get- all black or chrome/black?

I had mine fitted by ab independent in Eastbourne- he removed the bumper. Apparently it can be done in situ but is much harder and he needed to take the bumper off to wrap the chrome bottom lip anyway.
Ghost we paid £449, came to our house and installed in about 20 mins, brilliant. Only done it as the ML we were selling was advertised on a Monday morn, first person to view that day cloned the key and stole it that evening, thankfully found the following morning parked up, think he may have got spooked not realising he was 'the' only person to view and we had his phone number. Was far to easy and quick, so this car being keyless needed something for peace of mind, only way it can be stolen is to be lifted and taken, impossible to drive unless they fluke the code pattern my wife put in. We also purchased a couple of apple air tags, purchased 4 for £100, 2 in my boxtser 2 in the merc, so both of our phones can track either car if they do get removed....battery has to be replaced yearly, worth the investment. As for Grill, gone with black and chromed, purely as car id dark blue, black would have made the car look too heavy,....she should have purchased black car (as yours), looks superb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts