Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just a quick question to see how everyone's keeping our pride and joys minty fresh. Are you guys just doing drive-thru car washes with the occasional vacuum and wipe down, quick cleaning at the local quick detail stop, or full out details like a spa date for your GLC ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm probably the odd man out as I won't allow anybody to detail my car. I still believe in the old saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself." So far I have subjected "Red Ken" to over 12 hours of machine polishing to knock back some of the orange peel you get free with all the latest water-based paints. He currently wears 2 coats of Blackfire's Wet Diamond Paint Protection topped off with eight coats of Blackfire's Midnight Sun ivory carnauba wax. To say the flake pop and depth of the paint is immense would be an understatement. Photos just can't capture the real life effect properly.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Sometimes I give the T.L.C. to Black Jack, other times I allow my 2nd In-Command to wash/wax him and also my wifes Silver Fox...:x

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably the odd man out as I won't allow anybody to detail my car. I still believe in the old saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself." So far I have subjected "Red Ken" to over 12 hours of machine polishing to knock back some of the orange peel you get free with all the latest water-based paints. He currently wears 2 coats of Blackfire's Wet Diamond Paint Protection topped off with eight coats of Blackfire's Midnight Sun ivory carnauba wax. To say the flake pop and depth of the paint is immense would be an understatement. Photos just can't capture the real life effect properly.
Oh dear god that looks beautiful in the picture. Looks so wet and slick. The gloss on the tailight flows right into the paint which you almost never see happen (unless properly detailed of course)

What did you apply to the chrome and to the black plastic trim pieces ??

·
Registered
412 Posts
My main plan of attack since I don't like detailing and don't like spending time cleaning is to get the vehicle opti-coated/clear wrapped, and then follow up with touchless washes while i'm on the go and then follow up appointments with a local detailer about a few times a month. That is a strategy that has worked out well for years now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Oh dear god that looks beautiful in the picture. Looks so wet and slick. The gloss on the tailight flows right into the paint which you almost never see happen (unless properly detailed of course)

What did you apply to the chrome and to the black plastic trim pieces ??
Thanks Klass, it definitely has that Blackfire whiplash they talk about :surprise: The flake pop in the Cardinal/Hyacinth Red is immense.
The chrome was treated to some Great Lion Extreme metal polish applied with 0000 gauge steel wool. The polish contains a metal sealant to protect the chrome. Great Lion are a Dutch company and have a great reputation in the truck industry where polished fuel tanks are a focal point for many tricked out rigs.
I use CarPro P.E.R.L on all the exterior and interior trim as well as the engine bay and tyres. It is extremely versatile as you can use it neat for maximum gloss or dilute it with water to matt it down a bit. For tyres I use 1 part PERL:1 part water, plastic trim and engine bay 1:3 and leather 1:5.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You certainly go big or go home when it comes to car detailing. I'm more of a two bucket kind of person and a layer of ceramic protection to prevent swirls and scratches.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did wrestle a long time between using a wax or going for a ceramic coating. Whilst glass coatings are extremely hard, they can still get scratched. Correction requires removal of the coating and because these coatings are designed to form a covalent bond with the paintwork, they can be a nightmare to remove. And anyway, I think I would miss my 6-weekly waxing sessions - just me, Red Ken and some Barry White playing on the Burmester sound system :x
Although this guy is the CEO of Swissvax and obviously has a vested interest in wax products, he does cover the argument quite well.

Reactions: Hurly

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was an extremely great video to watch thank you very much for posting that. It's really breaking down what will suit your preferences and what you're willing to get done. Once that nano coating gets scratched, to remove it will be extremely difficult. Hmm... but now with the amount of different coatings and sealants, you have such a variety of products to choose from.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good call in refusing the £400 StarGard treatment since you can buy the components for around £30 online and do the thing yourself. Your choice of paint protection comes down to the colour of the car and whether you actually enjoy the whole cleaning/detailing hobby. Do you prefer the retina-searing gloss of a sealant that lasts 6 months between applications or the warmth and depth that only a 4-6 weekly application of carnauba wax will bring to the table? If your detailing efforts usually amount to gathering the moss from your window seals to wipe the brake dust off the wheels, then a professionally applied glass coating is probably the way to go.

Whatever you choose, you have the unique opportunity to protect the virgin clearcoat from Day 1. Remember 90% of the shine from your paintwork is due to the absence of swirls and scratches. It comes from reflecting light from truly flat surfaces. Minimal touch cleaning processes are the way to keep those swirls and scratches at bay so, if nothing else, ensure you wash your car using the 2-bucket method. If you intend putting your GLC through an automated carwash or European handwash you will need to periodically correct the paint using a polish with a high filler content to mask the damage incurred.

I'm sure plenty of people here will recommend their favourite products to you but first you need to disclose the car colour and your OCD level. :laugh: Updating your profile with your rough location will also bring more useful detailing services recommendations.

Reactions: Muks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having seen TooBad’s pictures of ‘Red Ken’ I cancelled my dealer paint protection order and started reading up on the Detailing World forums on how to do it properly. To cut a long story short, I’ve got a bit of a bone to pick with you Toobad :grin2: – I’ve invested sooo many hours down the detailing rabbit hole, and I’m a few hundred quid lighter, with a boat-load of products on their way to me in the post awaiting my new arrival next week!!!!

I think I’ve got a solid approach for the exterior - Blackfire Fire over Ice, Gyeon Q2Rim/Trim/Tyre, but I’m at a loss with (specifically) the running boards and also the night pack black chrome (can anyone tell me what the blacked-out exterior trim is actually made of?) + the whole of the interior – there seem so many materials and textures, nooks and crannies – I just don’t know where to start.

Toobad – can you use CarPro P.E.R.L on everything on the inside?

It turns out my ‘Detailing OCD’ level is High tending toward Certifiable. I’ve never bothered too much keeping my cars dialled-in before, but then I’ve never spent this much on a car before. I have just spent about 40hrs detailing my old car to sell, I must say it’s never looked so good since I bought it, and I really enjoyed doing it.

My car is a Brilliant Blue 250d AMG Line Prem + with Night Pack, and I'm near Morpeth in Northumberland.

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Toobad.

Woodfredshed....after some searching around I decided to go for gyeon mohs as the sealant. Like you I spent a good amount of time detailing my old car before selling it. Was well worth it as the first guy to see it bought it at the asking price (was worth the effort).

Picking the new boy up this afternoon! Driving it home then giving it a good decontamination, wash and any minor corrections if needed (I hope there are none!). Then it's going into the garage and I'm going to apply gyeon mohs as the sealant. Going to use gyeon rim for the wheels and calipers /exhaust chrome (even though they are only for the look :) ). I've got a few other of the gyeon products for the windows and trim, so hopefully it all works in the same way. I've decided to go for the chemical guys interior upholstery protector. I'm not sure how good it will be but it seems to have pretty good reviews on the detailingworld forums.

I'm stuck on what / if to do anything for the running boards too.

Will let you know how it goes. Very excited about getting the car later today after seeing Philamg's posts - great looking car!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Toobad – can you use CarPro P.E.R.L on everything on the inside?
Oh yes indeed, PERL will be fine for the inside. Artico, or man-made leather as Mercedes likes to call it is vinyl by any other name. Just vary the dilution to achieve the level of sheen you find most pleasing. I dilute it with deionised water so the solution remains free of other contaminants.

That Wet Ice Over Fire kit on Brilliant Blue is going to be off the scale!!! I'd always steer towards a carnauba wax as a last stage protection for reds, blues and the darker colours. The finish exudes a warm glow with a mile-deep gloss. For lighter colours I prefer a sealant which gives a more sterile uber-crisp finish. You absolutely must post up some photos when you are finished. Did you see the pics I posted to the red paint thread?

Red Ken - 220d Sport Premium Plus

You're one of us now, as the Borg say - Resistance is futile :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone have the Piano Black trim in their GLC? Have you found anything that cleans it without scratching?

I'm affraid to even touch it as it seems it would scratch very easily. So far I've just been blowing the dust off using an Air Force Master Blaster made by Metropolitan Vacuum (it filters the incoming air before it passes through the impeller and out the hose).

I emailed Mercedes-Benz Canada Customer Care asking if there are any factory approved products. The response was to use their Cockpit Care Spray. I did in a small test spot and it left a streak. It seems I'd have to buff it out but I am afraid to do so as I believe the buffing would create small scratches.

·
Registered
471 Posts
@Muks - You've finally finished counting down the sleeps and the big day is here! So pleased to read you will be pampering your pride and joy with the Korean brilliance that is Gyeon. As home- applied SiO2 coatings go, it currently just doesn't get any better than Q2 Mohs. But you obviously know this, so enough of the egg-sucking tuition. Its astonishing hydrophobic properties should be good for at least 12 months and when it does start to wane the bundled Q2M Cure should top it off nicely again. I hope you will be applying it in controlled conditions preferably wearing a facemask. The end result will be so worth it. Can't wait to see the photos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK Muks – spill the beans – how did your reveal and handover go? Hope it’s everything you hoped for and more, and that the paint defects are minor!

@Toobad – I went with the P.E.R.L. on your recommendation plus the whole host of great reviews on the net. I also bought their nano upholstery protector for the carpets and mats.
I’ll certainly post some photos of the car once it’s done, glad you think the Fire/Ice combo will look killer on the Blue.

Has anyone seen a GLC in Brilliant Blue? I chose it months ago from photos, and I’ve yet to see one in the flesh. Fingers crossed I won’t regret my choice.

My Gyeon stuff has turned up - just need a car now..

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Toobad and woodfredshed,
The reveal unfortunately was a bit low key as I'd driven the car two weeks ago to check for the crabbing, so it was just waiting there in the showroom. To my shock there was a fella wiping it down with a grotty rag! I was being a git and asked them not to wash it as didn't want the risk of bonus swirls for free! But it was fine and the hand over went well.

Got the car home after a short drive and started the detail straight away. Got all the tar and iron off first followed by some snow foam and then a gyeon bath! You will be pleased to know Toobad that I put it in the garage for applying the sealant. Plenty of ventilation too. Managed to get two coats in tonight and applying the phobic tomorow. Will definitely take some pictures and post them once it's all done. Very excited to get it all dried so I can start driving it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nobody touches my car to wash it ;)

General routine is; citrus pre-wash, rinse, two bucket hand wash, rinse and dry. Then twice a year is expanded by claying the body work, and finish with black hole and natty blue.

·
Registered
471 Posts
@Muks - It really does amaze me how ignorant dealers are when it comes to detailing. The preparation is usually done by the workshop monkey or outsourced to the man with the van. I let them clean Ken up for collection simply because I knew I was going to get seriously aggressive with a machine polisher over the following few days. But when he goes in for service I will put a "Do not wash - products under test" sign in the car and also get it noted on the worksheet. Looks like you executed your new car protection plan with military precision, really looking forward to the pics - stick them in the Photos and Videos sub-forum under the appropriate colour if alpha has already created it. You'll have to do an "open hose" video to show off the awesome hydrophobic qualities of the Gyeon.
@dejongj - I love it when you talk dirty to me, J-P :D

I tend to get a lot of my detailing kit from Perfectly Cleaned UK | Car Care and Detailing Products |. Their prices are competitive and there is always a discount code for between 10-12.5% knocking around if you search for them on coupon sites. P&P is free for orders over £40 which, let's face it, with our OCD, it's not hard to achieve. For one-off items Polished Bliss | Car Care Products | Detailing Products is a little dearer but has free delivery on everything.

Reactions: dejongj
1 - 20 of 76 Posts