Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a few times people flashing me coming the opposite direction when I have low beam on (and auto high beam disabled). Childish I know, but I enjoy flashing them back, just to prove I haven't got high beam on.
Wondering if it's to do with the lights being a bit brighter than other lights? Or maybe the bouncy air suspension making the lights seem to be higher?

Also, when I have the auto high beam enabled, it doesn't always lower when cars approach, causing people to flash again. I'd say 75% it works. Just wondered how others are getting on with them? Forces me to intervene manually, and really the effort of moving the stalk is just too much :grin2:

Thanks,
Graham

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Graham

In previous cars I have always turned the auto high beam off as it was too slow to react and often got flashed.

The intelligent light on my car work brilliantly and have only been flashed once in 8 months.

I would get your dealer to check them as they are the best extra that I paid for, certainly shouldn't be flashed on low beam.

Reactions: GLC_Lover

·
Registered
29 Posts
same here never been flashed and notice that the turn off whenever there is any light ahead of me. they have worked flawlessly. i heard there is a software update available if you note the issue maybe it will get updated and help

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm finding that they work brilliantly.

It still makes me smile when they produce the black square behind the car in front so as not to dazzle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've been braver with the intelligent lights i.e. refused the temptation to dim them myself and I have seen the glory that is the "black square" Marvelous. Now I can't take my eyes off the **** things haha they really to move around a lot don't they!

<edit>
That's a sensitive swear word checker, I used a word beginning with d and sounds like ram and it replaced it with asterisks.. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I was the same with mine at first, ready to out on dimmed but have total faith in them now - absolutely brilliant.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haven't dared try mine yet. Had auto dim on my Audi A6 and found it a bit slow to respond.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Haven't dared try mine yet. Had auto dim on my Audi A6 and found it a bit slow to respond.
Try it Lons, you will be amazed at how good it is. Had it on BM'S and Land rover but turned it off because too slow to react, also it is amazing how if there isn't any cars about the light automatically raise themselves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes will do, haven't driven the car much in the dark yet. My A6 was irritating because it also reacted to the reflection from road signs so would be up and down like a yoyo.
I did get used to the cornering lights on that but was slightly different as it turned on extra light rather than the lights swiveling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have exactly the opposite issue with auto high beam. I live in a fairly well lit suburban area and the high beams seldom if ever turn on by themselves.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Not certain but believe the GPS on the sat nav also is linked to the intelligent lights, I have read they automatically dip when you are approaching a roundabout.
That may account for them being on dipped in well lit areas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Intelligent lighting is probably the best option on our car. It works so well and the LED lights are amazingly bright!

Glad we ticked that option. We live in a well lit area so in normal driving they never come on to high beam, but when we go out to the sticks they function immedistly and are super effective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Intelligent Light System is just magic! I've never been flashed by an oncoming driver and the system works perfectly. Superb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thought I'd tag on this old thread rather than start a new identical one... just my thoughts on the (not so) intelligent headlights.

I was impressed with them initially, and once its detected other vehicles the way the beam dances around is very impressive, but I'm finding myself getting more and more frustrated, and flashed frequently.

Problems / Observations so far:

1. Sometimes, but not always, slow to react.

2. Never seems to detect motorbikes - probably to do with the single headlight rather than two so not-so-intelligent. But means despite the "intelligence", I find myself with my hand still hovering around the stalk and my eyes monitoring the headlight pattern.

3. Sometimes takes what seems like an age to go back onto full mainbeam if its dropped fully into dipped and blue light has gone out on the dashboard.

4. Can't tell the difference between a parked car and moving car. Headlights catch rear reflectors, then dip plunging me into darkness...then, no longer getting any reflection so go back onto high beam a moment later (if going down an unlit road with lots of parked cars, the headlights are moving around and going on and off like the car's having some kind of seizure! Actually quite amusing if I'm honest!)

5. Why doesn't it go onto full beam under 20mph (not a fault, just an annoyance). It means I have to drive almost blind for the 1st few hundred yards each morning on the narrow, up hill, lane I live on.

6. (more an observation really) When driving on unlit lanes with hedges or brows of hills, on a conventional system, when you see the glow of headlights coming from around a corner, normally I'd go onto dipped before they came into view, and you usually see the other car go onto dipped before they round the corner. The 'intelligent' system isn't clever enough to do that, so despite the other driver dipping, they still get a dose of mainbeam as they come into view - usually resulting in being flashed.
Brows of hills are worse, as obviously the (higher up) drivers head comes into the path of the lights before their headlights become visible. Poor lorry drivers get it worst.

Come service time I'll get them to check its working ok.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
The only problem I share is Number 6, obviously the car can't see around corners but you can dip the headlights yourself in this situation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can’t argue with any of your points. I just think this is an example of unrequired technology. An additional position on the stalk might help in order to be able to override main to high and high to main beams.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can’t argue with any of your points. I just think this is an example of unrequired technology. An additional position on the stalk might help in order to be able to override main to high and high to main beams.
if you turn the light selector switch all the way to to right you can keep the high beams on full time (after 18 months of ownership just happened upon this one the other day... im sure its in the manual but i guess i never saw it).

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Yes will do, haven't driven the car much in the dark yet. My A6 was irritating because it also reacted to the reflection from road signs so would be up and down like a yoyo.
I did get used to the cornering lights on that but was slightly different as it turned on extra light rather than the lights swiveling.
I had the same regarding road signs on a land rover but don't have the issue with the intelligent lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts