Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A GLC wearing Michigan Manufacturer plates has been spotted out and it seems to be missing exhaust pipes.

Mercedes execs have made it perfectly clear that they will be making a concious shift from diesels to fully electric and hybrid electric powertrains, and that was even before VW blew the doors of diesels public perception.

We've seen the GLC 350 e PHEV already, and it certainly sports two massive chrome exhaust 'tips', so we're fairly certain this isn't just the US market version. Although Mercedes has never made mention of a GLC EV in the past. Its also missing the flap on the rear bumper for the charging port. We would imagine that the GLC PHEV and GLC Full EV would share the positioning of the charge port.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No exhaust pipes would seem like a pretty big clue. It must be an EV prototype. I am curious how drastic the switch to hybrids and EVs will be in the auto industry. When will begin to see evidence of this shift in the market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of companies seems to be leaning towards producing EV's or at least hybrids. I think the Chevy Bolt is one of them and I'm sure there's a few more out there hoping to take a bite out of Tesla's market.

I wouldn't mind a GLC EV because I don't travel much during the week days so one charge will last my quite a while. A lot cheaper than gas.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is a smart move and something i've seen a growing need for, that is EV SUV's

Sharing the same charge port position only makes sense, easy for them to streamline the wholething.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks like the GLC EV is close to production if they are already testing it on the road but it'll need to have a competitive miles range to compete with Tesla for a slice of the EV market.

·
Registered
412 Posts
a range of 250-257 miles is apparently what the Tesla is supposed to get, all the MB needs is enough to be practical what ever that number may be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A few other companies are already coming out with an all electric vehicle but this will speed up the process and maybe we'll see a few more models in the near future. More competition in the electric niche can only mean good things for buyers.
Maybe higher drive range and better trims.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pushing the segments even more are companies like GM and Tesla coming out with cheap and mainstream EV's which pushes other brands to get in on the growing curve.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can see a huge market for an electric SUV. Cheaper fuel costs and government incentives for electric vehicles. Pretty affordable to own one if you can get the incentive and trade in your old car for a new EV.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I can see a huge market for an electric SUV. Cheaper fuel costs and government incentives for electric vehicles. Pretty affordable to own one if you can get the incentive and trade in your old car for a new EV.
Indeed.

Tesla built a vehicle for that segment and for a brand that is in need of a wise investment, it shows the potential for growth to happen

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's expensive but it's slots in perfectly to what it should be priced at and there's no doubt the GLE EV will come in close enough that those who can afford the GLE EV can effortlessly move to the Model X. Model S is great but it all comes down to needs and then wants.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Neither are a vehicle for the masses, but for those who can afford it, they are great cars. I think that just as many will be brought in by the gull wing doors as will steer away because of them. The Model S doesn't have the doors that in some ways feel lie a gimmick. I think it reads as a bit more of a normal car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Would like to have an affordable electric SUV but that may be years down the road if Tesla has set the standard for pricing.
Tesla and affordable as in cheaper than what they already offer won't happen for a very long time, maybe not at all under the Tesla name. But I could be wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts