Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mercedes-has built this concept car that has a pretty eye-catching transforming rear. Called the Mercedes-Benz Concept IAA (Intelligent Aerodynamic Automobile), it has the ability to transform its shape while driving in order to reduce drag and increase efficiency. When the car gets going above 80 km/h, it transforms.

A number of panels on the front, rear, and sides deploy to reduce the drag coefficient to just 0.19. If actually produced, that would give it the best drag coefficient of any production car, alongside the current Volkswagen XL1. But don’t hold your breath for that first part.

The Mercedes-Benz Concept IAA is Like a Real-Life Transformer

·
Registered
412 Posts
That headlight setup or what ever fancy word there is for it seems like something that could make its way to production but i'm just not sure if that will ever happen to an S-Class... maybe on some supercar if MB wants to do that (which i hope they do)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't find the rear end ugly, just different. Especially with the rear thing not deployed, I think that it looks pretty good.

Front grille is looking nice as well in my opinion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it increases efficiency I'm all for it. would be great if they coupled the aerodynamic design with the spotted EV engine.
More miles per charge!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I can only see that happening slightly on a production model, like with a spoiler or something that serves a real purpose for when the vehicle is in motion.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can only see that happening slightly on a production model, like with a spoiler or something that serves a real purpose for when the vehicle is in motion.
Well the thing on the concept does serve a purpose. I agree that this most likely won't be on a production model, but it is a useful part of the vehicle for aerodynamics.

It may just be hard to imagine because it is quite different from what is usually seen on vehicles.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess we'll have to wait for a production model or some content from MB that show's how this can be tied into production.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do wonder what MB vehicle would be primed to receive such a feature? I am guessing something like the SLS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ahh, active arodynamics, nice idea. I suppose we've got active shutters on the front of a lot of vehicles now and 'pop up' spoilers have been around for a while (although mostly for show) so I guess this is the next step. If you match this with speed sensitive lowering of the car you really could impact on fuel consumption, noise & performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts