Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz will be launching its new SUV, the GLC this year. The company has plans to get the GLC by this June or towards the end of May 2016. The GLC is based on the C-Class platform and will be a rear wheel drive crossover. This will be creating a new segment in between the GLA and the GLE. The GLC is a crossover that was revealed last year and it will be launched with a 2.1-litre petrol and 2.1-litre diesel engine.

Price wise, the GLC will be competing with the BMW X3 and the Audi Q5. So, expect this to be priced between INR 50 lakhs to INR 60 lakhs (on-road). The GLC will be locally assembled in India, as it shares the same C-Class platform. There will be an all-wheel drive version (4MATIC) only on the GLC. The two engines will be GLC 300 4MATIC and the GLC 220d 4MATIC on offer. Mercedes-Benz is looking at getting the mid-level AMG engines too. This will fill the gap between the existing engines and the extremely powerful AMG engines. This will even mean competition to Audis S range as well.
What do you think about the two engine launch?

·
Registered
188 Posts
They are two good engines to launch a new model with, the petrol has plenty of go and the diesel is torquey and very economical. A good choice in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you're looking for something short term, and by short term I mean a few years, then the diesel will be perfect. But I heard governments could start clamping down on diesels, so depending on how the state of diesels progress over the years you may or may not want to proceed. Of course though there are those of us that don't care about any of that and just want to drive. It's just something to think about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We have the 250d engine which is very economical and has a bit of punch when you need it. Over in the UK the petrol engine has not been released yet but only the 220d and 250d currently exist. Both good competition against its German rivals.
The 9 speed gear box is very smooth and helps keep the mpg to the max.:wink2:
Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
But I heard governments could start clamping down on diesels, so depending on how the state of diesels progress over the years you may or may not want to proceed.
I think diesels have certainly been on the EU's 'hit list' for a while (not sure about the US & Canada), hence the Addblue tank on the 220d & 250d to bring the emissions down (and the road tax we have to pay). The ever tightening emission laws are making it quite difficult to get engines through the tests now, causing VW group to get caught with their pants down !

We have a friend who works at Nissan and he suggests that the next round of EU emission regulations will see the death of the manual gearbox on all but the smallest cars. The only way to get larger (over 1.2L) engines through the tests will be to have a fully integrated ECU which controls the engine and gearbox to minimise emissions. The GLC pretty much does this already to be fair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts