Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mercedes-Benz has quite the vision for the future of motoring.

Bowing at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show is the Mercedes-Benz Vision Tokyo, being billed as a 'mobile club lounge for young, urban trendsetters' by the German automaker. The concept follows up on the F 015 Luxury in Motion that debuted earlier this year with the Vision Tokyo paying homage to the urban Generation Z. The company believes that millennials find vehicles to have a different role, no longer just a simple means of getting around, but a digital automobile companion.

One glance at the Vision Tokyo and you’ll notice its unique shape, further accented by the monochrome Alubeam paintwork and the side windows that have been screen-printed in the color of the vehicle. It also features a continuous stretch of glass panelling with up to five passengers accessing the interior through the upward-swinging door on the left-hand side.
Read more about the Mercedes-Benz Vision Tokyo is a Mobile Club Lounge at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems like a party bus / limo more than anything.

The "digital automobile companion" thing is interesting. I am guessing the automobile will be an extension of Siri.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's all part of the image and branding. They want to make this tech worked into premium vehicles and seen highly like that, so they have to do these flashy things to set the image straight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks like those futuristic flying cars more than anything.

If they're going to put a touch hologram in there might I suggest a smaller platform for Cortana? :grin2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Even in the future, I think that guy sitting at the back of the car is probably pretty douchey. :p

I just don't get why Mercedes and Lexus both used animation to show holographic controls alla Star Wars or Minority report. There is a difference between concept and just making stuff up. If they have at least some beginning of that actual technology, show us that, but don't show us a video that basically is sci-fi.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Even in the future, I think that guy sitting at the back of the car is probably pretty douchey. :p

I just don't get why Mercedes and Lexus both used animation to show holographic controls alla Star Wars or Minority report. There is a difference between concept and just making stuff up. If they have at least some beginning of that actual technology, show us that, but don't show us a video that basically is sci-fi.
Yeah he is, fills out the douche checklist.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The actual concept model at the Tokyo Motor Show was a physical model. It shows some design features. Cool.

But the hologram control is only visible in the video and it is completely shown through computer animation. There are many touch screen controls that are envisioned for the future, but they aren't simply floating lights. There are curved screens, or bendable screens, or windows that can display controls. All those things seem more realistic. They seem like things that could happen in the near future. They are things that likely have working prototypes, or at least have projects working towards it.

I'm just saying I haven't seen a "hologram" outside Star Wars or a smoke and mirrors trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts