Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying a Mercedes Benz Approved Used GLC I am left with an unbearable brake squeal noise.

It happens at low speed, in cold weather, under light braking. Mercedes say its not a fault they are aware of and it will not be fixed under the manufacturers warranty, even though the car has been like this since I bought it 2 months ago with under 30k miles on it . If I want it fixed I will have to pay about £450 to have both the front and rear pads replaced!

Car was described as "absolutely immaculate" and perfect by the Mercedes garage I got it from through the UK Mercedes Benz Approved Used website.

Anyone else have (or had) this horrendous brake squeal noise from their Mercedes Benz GLC?

https://youtu.be/qpSY7eOOd2w
I have more videos of the brake squeal noise, and in one the squeal lasts for 20 seconds while going in reverse!

Mercedes Benz Customer Service say they are unaware of any issue with the brakes but I have read posts on different forums about the matter:
Screeching Brakes on the GLC

and on this forum as well https://www.glcforums.com/forum/322-glc-issues-problems/3994-glc-brake-pads.html

Please reply if you had/have this issue and how it was resolved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, I had same issue at 11k miles, my local dealer replaced for free stating that since I had the first version glc coupe, the pads wasn't heavy enough for the vehicle.. the dealer mentioned a recall

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same problem at 18k miles on GLC 43. I was told brakes not covered under warranty. Noisy squeaky brakes normal for Mercedes?? After some persuasion they replaced the pads under warranty.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mercedes are aware of it.

I had horrific brake squeal at low speed and complained to the dealer who checked the car and came back saying MB wouldn't do anything, I kicked up a fuss and they replaced the rear pads ( or at least I think they did, later issues means I don't trust them ). Cured the squealing for a while but back occasionally now when reversing.

Light braking makes it worse and I can stop it for a while by applying the brakes vigorously a couple of times. The issue is common across the C range of cars as well btw.

Your issue is with the dealer after only 2 months of ownership and I'd suggest bypassing the usual service crew and put a complaint in writing to the service manager maybe copied to the dealer principle asap and keep a record of everything. A phone call to MB customer service doesn't do any harm again maybe confirmed in writing, record names of who you speak to and dig your heels in hard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I had same issue at 11k miles, my local dealer replaced for free stating that since I had the first version glc coupe, the pads wasn't heavy enough for the vehicle.. the dealer mentioned a recall

PersonallyI think the compound of the pad is wrong, which is probably the same as not being heavy enough, but Mercedes are still adamant there is nothing wrong with mine. Any chance you could ask about the recall?

Customer Service man on telephone told me he was not very technically minded but brakes are not a warranty issue!

Heres the 20 second squeal video
https://youtu.be/bheHqD4ksy4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts