Mercedes GLC Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Running board are great, when cleaning my GLC I stand on them to reach all over the roof. The odd thing is that I have to tell people that they can stand on them when getting in or out, I use them as leverage which eases the wear and tear on my drivers seat, I've found in the past on higher cars I tended to slide over the side support of the seat to reach the ground and when getting in I'd end up plonking myself on the side support then slide into the seat if I didn't do this I often cleaned the sills with my trousers, being able to stand on the running board has stopped all this.

Does anybody know if the rubber bumps/grips on the GLC running boards can be replaced when they wear down or are damaged......

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm really please that you guys don't have the crabbing. I really don't know what to think of that though as with what we now know (assuming Mercedes has released the whole truth) that is technically not possible. So I guess miracles still exist ;)

I love the grey colour, that looks really nice. What it has also helped me with, is that to me going down in size of wheels is most definitely not acceptable. To me on the AMG those little wheels look totally lost and ruin the sporty looks of the vehicle. This is totally my opinion, and posting those photos is quite useful as Phil knows himself that it is rare to see the AMG photographed on the standard wheels.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Guys, I'm as guilty as the next person of riding the off-topic train but, at 500 posts, this "Clonking thread" is now probably the most consolidated resource on the internet. Don't you think it should keep that focus so wouldn't the whole running board discussion be better served by having its own thread? This board could probably do with a few more diverse topics anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I received a call from Mercedes Customer Service team in Milton Keynes offering me a full set of 'All Weather' tyres free of charge in the next few months when they have stock. It's very nice of them to make this offer and in my mind confirms that all is not well. Profit margins on cars are tight, so you don't do this if there is no need.

As for my local Mercedes dealership, I will be looking forward to speaking to them about how they tried to cover this up and brush me off. It's not good and confirms that they are just sharks. They were also a victim here as they were let down by their supplier and they should have been on the customer side, but it seems they were frightened of how Mercedes would react.

If we received smart phones in right-hand-drive countries with broken screens and the rest of the world didn't, would that be a characteristic ?

Mercedes still need to fix the design flaw with RHD models and I will still be perusing that, but understand that it's not a quick fix and will take time to resolve.

I have to say that the Mercedes Customer Service team have been very polite and professional to me in regards to this matter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm really please that you guys don't have the crabbing. I really don't know what to think of that though as with what we now know (assuming Mercedes has released the whole truth) that is technically not possible. So I guess miracles still exist ;)
Hi JP
Do you thing that MB sent out a statement that wasn't entirely true re there being no official fix for the crabbing knowing it would get onto the forums. Behind the scenes do you think they have done something on the production line now as all comments from new owners say aren't experiencing the crabbing ?. Will we have to wait and see after 4000 miles plus to see the issues starts appearing ?. I cancelled my order before delivery so didn't get to test the car , didn't want the hassle WHEN / if the crabbing appears , to start moaning again to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Daba, it was my theory that they had done something on the new cars but seemed to be wrong when they offered all season tyres to new car owners.

JP, all about opinions regarding wheel size, the night pack wheels are silver on outside with black on the inside, a few people who have seen the car have commented how good the wheels look and it is a comfortable ride.

Will be interesting to see how the owners picking their cars up today have got on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I've just driven my new 43, 145 miles from Peterborough back to Hampshire, and I've fallen in love again! What a fabulous car and although I've been taking it easy in Confort mode I can feel what there is to be unleashed under my right foot in a few hundred miles time 😄 😊

Does it crab? Yes it did a little on full lock when the tyres were cold, but once the tyres were warm I tried it out again and absolutely no crabbing at all either forwards or backwards. Clearly I would much prefer it didn't do it at all, but is it a deal breaker?....not for me, at least not with what it's doing now. If things get worse then clearly that will become a different situation.

One she's all clean again will post a few pics, hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers, Andy

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Good to hear Andy, looks like 21 inch wheels make a difference compared to 19 inch. Your journey home was more interesting than my 7 miles in rush hour rain.
Lots of toys to learn, should accomplish it by time I change car.
Look forward to seeing the pictures and congratulations.

Had to go back to dealers today, no locking wheel nut socket in car, they are ordering me one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Another pleased customer,Congrats Andy B you've got similar spec to mine as well as the 21's.I was hoping that yours was going to be no or minimal crabbing - hope mines the same.
Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another pleased customer,Congrats Andy B you've got similar spec to mine as well as the 21's.I was hoping that yours was going to be no or minimal crabbing - hope mines the same.
Can't wait to see the pics.
Millduu - I'm sure you will love it when you pick up yours. I think with the 21's you will feel some skipping when the tyres are cold and then it's a personal decision whether you find it acceptable or not. My skipping is nothing like that shown on JP's video and hence I was prepared to accept mine. I have already arranged to have All Season tyres fitted next autumn.

I was also in the position of not really wanting any other mid size SUV, and once I'd seen my new car .... well let's just say it would have been incredibly hard to have walked away!

Will look forward to hearing how you get on, I think I might just pop out and have another peek at mine 😄😄

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been on a rollercoaster with this car purchase,I think I'm starting to get a little excited again.Skipping or not it'll be coming home with me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
dejongj,

What's the latest with yours - have you got your car back, and is it any better?
Brand new tyres and crabs just like it did before. It is truly very bad.

Hi JP
Do you thing that MB sent out a statement that wasn't entirely true re there being no official fix for the crabbing knowing it would get onto the forums. Behind the scenes do you think they have done something on the production line now as all comments from new owners say aren't experiencing the crabbing ?. Will we have to wait and see after 4000 miles plus to see the issues starts appearing ?. I cancelled my order before delivery so didn't get to test the car , didn't want the hassle WHEN / if the crabbing appears , to start moaning again to the dealer.
Well as I said, with the technical information we have it will be almost impossible to have already re-engineered it. As such the crabbing is there in the design and unless masked by tyre it is must be doing it. So either tolerance levels are differently, something else is masking it, something just doesn't make any sense to me about this situation.

However looking at AndyB, it crabs but he is happy with it. I noticed a comment like that from someone else in another thread as well "Skipping or not it'll be coming home with me.". I guess we all want different things. I expect my car to be smooth and not do this.

Daba, it was my theory that they had done something on the new cars but seemed to be wrong when they offered all season tyres to new car owners.

JP, all about opinions regarding wheel size, the night pack wheels are silver on outside with black on the inside, a few people who have seen the car have commented how good the wheels look and it is a comfortable ride.
Phil - that was my theory as well until the memo came out last Friday a week ago, and then some further technical details were demonstrated regarding the position and space for the steering.
Re wheels it is very subjective - my comment was made in this thread in context of crabbing and rejecting the car. I did not order my car with small wheels like that, I don't like them at all. Great for a diesel but to me not fitting for an AMG. That is why I did not order my car like that. So being forced to go down in looks like that after taking delivery will be unacceptable to me.

Well, I've just driven my new 43, 145 miles from Peterborough back to Hampshire, and I've fallen in love again! What a fabulous car and although I've been taking it easy in Confort mode I can feel what there is to be unleashed under my right foot in a few hundred miles time 😄 😊

Does it crab? Yes it did a little on full lock when the tyres were cold, but once the tyres were warm I tried it out again and absolutely no crabbing at all either forwards or backwards. Clearly I would much prefer it didn't do it at all, but is it a deal breaker?....not for me, at least not with what it's doing now. If things get worse then clearly that will become a different situation.
When things get worse it will be too late. Good luck with that approach.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The ongoing crabbing issue and now I hear on the news a number of Mercedes Models including the GLC are being recalled after 51 fires have occurred after starting. I wonder if I can use this to reject mine, I've had enough of all this.

Follow link below

Global recall of 1 million Mercedes cars over fire risk 'could include 75,000 in UK'

Which says

Owners of 75,000 Mercedes cars in the UK could be affected by a global recall of several models following reports of fires, according to reports.

An issue with some starter components in cars made between 2015 and 2017 is thought to cause them to overheat.

The fire risk has prompted Mercedes owner Daimler to recall around a million vehicles worldwide, covering certain A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, E-Class and CLA cars and GLA and GLC SUVs.

There have been reports of 51 fires, with about 30 in the US.

A Mercedes spokesman told Car Dealer magazine: "There are potentially 75,000 cars in the UK which will be affected by the recall. This is a recall which is yet to be issued."

The company said a fix has been implemented in the production of new vehicles and cars already with dealers will be fixed before they are sold.

The magazine said owners will be contacted in March.

Of the million vehicles to be recalled, 307,629 are in the United States, which is 40,000 units less than Mercedes-Benz reported to U.S. regulators.

The company did not immediately have a breakdown of where vehicles will be recalled outside of the United States.

The United States is among the three biggest markets for Mercedes-Benz, the others being China and Germany.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"When things get worse it will be too late. Good luck with that approach"

Hi JP. You may well be right and that's a bridge I'll have to cross if it arises.

It's thanks to you, and your tireless work on this issue, that people such as me are able to make informed decisions. Whilst I clearly would much prefer the car didn't skip, for me it was a tradeoff to have the car I wanted, particularly as the skipping was nowhere near as pronounced as what you're suffering with.

I was also unable to find another SUV in this size category I liked, or looked anywhere near as good as the 43, and I needed to get a car.

I'm also leasing mine through Lex, probably the largest U.K. Leasing company, and have it on a fully maintained contract, including replacement tyres, so additional costs down the line aren't something I'm worried about. It also gives me a bit of clout if I do experience further problems as I will have them in my corner too.

I agree with you regarding the wheels and whilst I respect and understand others decisions to go with different choices the 21's were always a must have for me. Again if that's part of the tradeoff then so be it.

Let's hope the all season tyres, when available, improve things and maybe MB will
surprise us all by coming up with a permanent fix, but must admit I'm not overly hopeful!

·
Registered
182 Posts
"When things get worse it will be too late. Good luck with that approach"

Hi JP. You may well be right and that's a bridge I'll have to cross if it arises.

It's thanks to you, and your tireless work on this issue, that people such as me are able to make informed decisions. Whilst I clearly would much prefer the car didn't skip, for me it was a tradeoff to have the car I wanted, particularly as the skipping was nowhere near as pronounced as what you're suffering with.

I was also unable to find another SUV in this size category I liked, or looked anywhere near as good as the 43, and I needed to get a car.

I'm also leasing mine through Lex, probably the largest U.K. Leasing company, and have it on a fully maintained contract, including replacement tyres, so additional costs down the line aren't something I'm worried about. It also gives me a bit of clout if I do experience further problems as I will have them in my corner too.

I agree with you regarding the wheels and whilst I respect and understand others decisions to go with different choices the 21's were always a must have for me. Again if that's part of the tradeoff then so be it.

Let's hope the all season tyres, when available, improve things and maybe MB will
surprise us all by coming up with a permanent fix, but must admit I'm not overly hopeful!
LOL Yes if tyres and everything is included in your lease, I'm sure the might of Lex will be in your corner when they have to put a new set on every 4-5K miles :) That will be fun...

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Jp, my car was ordered with 19 inch wheels before I knew about the crabbing not because of it.

I personally don't like the 21 inch wheels but would normally keep this to myself as I wouldn't want to ridicule someone elses choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jp, my car was ordered with 19 inch wheels before I knew about the crabbing not because of it.

I personally don't like the 21 inch wheels but would normally keep this to myself as I wouldn't want to ridicule someone elses choice.
I don't see how one can ridicule someone else's choice by disliking an optional choice? Surely it is a good thing we don't all like the same look of vehicles and that suppliers provide that choice to select and tailor it how we want it. There is nothing ridiculous about you not liking 21" wheels, not me liking them. It is merely a choice. I would have thought we are too old to be part of the snowflake generation. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
JP , you posted the following in regard to AndyB's decision to accept his car:

"When things get worse it will be too late. Good luck with that approach."

No problem with you thinking this but no reason to post it.

501 - 520 of 1137 Posts