Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this problem Tony Mac. I have the same problem and was advised by dealer that I needed winter tires @ €300 each !!!!

What exactly is the issue?

KEN

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Any update on this problem Tony Mac. I have the same problem and was advised by dealer that I needed winter tires @ €300 each !!!!

What exactly is the issue?

KEN
Welcome to the forum, not sure where you are located. If you read the thread it will explain all, the knuckles are for RHD cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only Merc guy I trust is the parts manager at the local dealership - he's the one that gave me the encouragement (and the info) to finally get this through with Merc and get a fix outside the 19k rule.

He tells me it's not a knuckle - it's the steering arm. The part is on back order and UK dealerships won't get any until January. He says that some cars will still need this regardless of tyres. For me the problem is a popping sound - definitely tyre based, and the fact that not on full lock I think it feels too skittish at low temps (general issue in the UK where we don't use winter tyres generally, but made worse I think by the 4wd nature).

What doesn't sound very clear is how a new steering arm can fix a knocking problem. If you look at causes of full-lock knocking it's usually due to some excessive wear. Now maybe the new arm prevents the wear but you'd still need a new joint. Also, you get this on new cars, so it can't be wear.

I've not tried it, but mine has 4 level of suspension C/S/S+ and the raised option, I'v not tried to see if the noise varies on the suspension setting - has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had a reply from Mercedes today and have been told to replace the tyres with winter ones at our own cost. Reply was:

Our recommendation to combat the 'tyre skipping' sensation you have felt on your AMG is to fit a winter tyre when temperatures are around or below 7°C. In this instance, the Mercedes-AMG recommended winter tyre is a Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 MO1 - this can be ordered through your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Had a reply from Mercedes today and have been told to replace the tyres with winter ones at our own cost. Reply was:

Our recommendation to combat the 'tyre skipping' sensation you have felt on your AMG is to fit a winter tyre when temperatures are around or below 7°C. In this instance, the Mercedes-AMG recommended winter tyre is a Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 MO1 - this can be ordered through your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer.
Where are you located?.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hi Dave, lived in Hertford on the Folly for many years. What model have you got as the advice differs.

I thought by your username you were Dutch, may help for future queries if you add your location to your profile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Dave, lived in Hertford on the Folly for many years. What model have you got as the advice differs.

I thought by your username you were Dutch, may help for future queries if you add your location to your profile.
Ah - you'll know The Old Barge then! I've added my location to my profile

I have a GLC63 AMG

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hi Dave

Lived 6 doors from the Old Barge.

You will have problems with the 63 as I have with 43, there are no all weathers available. I took MB to the ombudsman and they eventually gave me a set of 20 inch wheels with winter tyres, as far as I am aware nobody else has been given new wheels. Apparently the new "fix" of steering arms/knuckles isn't applicable to the 43 and I would assume the 63. Keep browbeating your dealer and customer services, it is a disgrace that they are still producing cars with a fault that has been known about for nearly 2 years.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Dave

Lived 6 doors from the Old Barge.

You will have problems with the 63 as I have with 43, there are no all weathers available. I took MB to the ombudsman and they eventually gave me a set of 20 inch wheels with winter tyres, as far as I am aware nobody else has been given new wheels. Apparently the new "fix" of steering arms/knuckles isn't applicable to the 43 and I would assume the 63. Keep browbeating your dealer and customer services, it is a disgrace that they are still producing cars with a fault that has been known about for nearly 2 years.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks Phil - I feel exactly the same. They never said anything when I purchased the car, or is anything mentioned in the handbook, about having to swap tyres for the winter or experience a horrendous sensation and noise when anywhere near full lock! I'll contact the ombudsmen next and see where that gets me. Biggest issue for us is storing the set of tyres that are not in use as we just don't have the space (no garage only a small shed)

I'll let you know how I get on...

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
I have agreement with the dealer to swap and store my tyres twice a year for £144, will send you a copy of reply I got from ombudsman and email released by MB in Feb 2017, will do it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Dave

I have sent you a couple of mails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mountain man, what you are being told is the opposite to what my dealer said. New GLC'S are now fitted with all weathers (except 43 and 63), if a customer still has an issue with clonking the knuckles are replaced. Sounds logical to me but would guess the all weathers will solve it for you.
Hi, I have a GLC Coupe on order, expecting delivery around late January / early February. Based on your comment above, should I be expecting it to be fitted with all weather tyres ? (Its not a 43 or 63)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hi, I have a GLC Coupe on order, expecting delivery around late January / early February. Based on your comment above, should I be expecting it to be fitted with all weather tyres ? (Its not a 43 or 63)

Thanks
Hopefully the new "fix" with steering arm / knuckles will be standard on your car, nobody knows if this cures the issue yet but if not you will definitely need all weathers in Scotland.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had mine a week now came with 20' wheels and summer tyres no crabbing yet and I do full lock to get on off my drive forward and reverse.fingers crossed it stays like that lowest temp I've been out in is 5c at min

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi from All of us Down Under.
It’s Xmas Day here, so best wishes to all, stay safe and enjoy .
Special thoughts to our emergency workers and our Defence personnel, wherever you serve.
​​​​​​​Par Oneri.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just had a very interesting telephone call with mercedes customer help about tyre replacement for the crabbing complaints on glc models.They have said that when my car gets delivered next week if i have a problem with tyre crabbing that they would replace the tyres with all season tyres but also as of yesterday they have engineered a different suspension knuckle that helps alleviate the crabbing problem and it would more than likely be that this would be there first action that they would do.Hope this is true and it helps anyone who is having this issue.
unfortunately mine was built before this rectification was done at build stage.

anyone had any updates on this

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hello mate, well when i spoke to the mercedes mechanic he was fully aware of my model and said the “knuckle” thingy... its a C63 not E63

Im not worried, i know ill get it repaired, they can try and fob you off but if you stick it on them they will get it done!

Ill let you guys know as i think this “knuckle” is a new thing, booked in for 27th.

Oli
Did it happen?.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine got replaced today. I've got Pirelli Scorpion Verde - runflats (didn't have runflats before). Any downside to runflats?

This is the 4th brand that Merc UK have sent my local dealer under this scheme. They've had Michelin, Good Year, Verdenstein and now Pirelli. For a fault that required specific tyres to fix, there seems a lot of options on the replacement types.

Not driven it yet and it's now wet and not that cold so not sure I'll know until tomorrow morning.

1001 - 1020 of 1137 Posts