Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1041 - 1059 of 1095 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Steering fix

Hi, first time post!
I've had my GLC 250d at the dealers today and they seem to be doing their best to help. The outcome was that MB UK won't provide new tyres as the car is over 24 months old (just) even though at 14k, it is well under their 19k miles limit. Instead they have agreed to fit the steering knuckle fix and the parts are now on order.

If this does the trick I'll be more than happy, but I'm struggling to understand the logic behind their decision. Does anyone know why they would apply a time-limit like this? If the knuckle-fix does the job it's probably a better result anyway as some folks suggest different tyres just mask the problem?

Has anyone had the fix fitted yet, did it work?

Many thanks
Neil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my GLC booked in for steering modifications for tomorrow at MB Brooklands but had a phone call this afternoon telling me that not all the parts had arrived. I was told it might be another couple of weeks so will post update in due course.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Would be good to hear if anybody has actually had the work done!.

·
Registered
448 Posts
@BlacckPig and @Neil_t - Like myself, I'm sure everybody on the forum is waiting with baited breathe to hear the outcome of your impending steering knuckle modification. It would be a great help if you could ascertain all the part numbers used to carry out the mod. Hopefully they will be detailed on the worksheet. Not all dealers are equally competent and spoon-feeding them the part numbers involved will ensure everybody is singing from the same hymn sheet.

I would suggest that any member who gleans any information on the steering knuckle mod may want to consider starting a new thread entitled something like "Steering Knuckle Clonking Solution" as this thread now runs to over 1000 posts and pertinent information is just likely to get swallowed up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Toobad - your point about dealer competence or willingness to help became apparent when I got quotes when purchasing my car from several franchised dealerships via CarWow. I ventually went with MB Brooklands as they made a very satisfactory offer and they are close to me. I think the fact that they are owned and managed by Daimler helps. Good idea to start a new thread when resolved. Will do if no one beats me to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've been referred by MBUK for a 'steering knuckle modification', waiting on the dealer calling me back to book it in. I'm keen to understand how this solves the problem and will let you guys know what I find out. FYI: 18" wheels on Summer tyres.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sometimes I notice that there is one tyre showing a slightly different tyre pressure on the TPMS display. It is usually just the last digit, so I think that's acceptable within tolerance. Garage airlines are probably not that accurate and I don't think I do much better with my own pump and pressure gauge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update

Hi,

I have a 2016 (May) GLC 250d 4Matic Sport and have just passed 25000 miles. I am absolutely delighted with the car and the way it performs and handles. My only gripe is that I don't much like the Audio 20 system but that's not for here. My plan from Day One was to run the car on two sets of tyres and I am on Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tyres right now with the original (rubbish) Yokohama Summer tyres on a shelf in my garage. I only noticed the crabbing when the first Winter started but even so, it wasn't so bad as to worry about safety and it certainly wasn't like some of the Youtube clips that I've seen from GLC 43 and 63 owners. The Winter tyres completely eliminate the crabbing and even on the Summer ones, it only becomes noticeable on painted or wet concrete. If you are considering a GLC, I should say don't be put off by this thread unless you are looking at 20 inch wheels or the 43/63 in which case be cautious. The more basic models that don't pretend to be anything other than a SUV with limited offroad capability do what is says on the tin and are lovely cars. I shall be scrapping the Yokohama tyres in October 2019, whether I need to or not as they are clearly wearing at the shoulders (clue - steeering knuckles?) and I am wondering what tyres to buy for Spring 2020. I might transition to all season and leave them on from 2021. Yes, I'm in for the long haul!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I purchased a GLC 220 Urban Edition last September 2018. Now that we are experiencing lower temperatures here in the UK, I have noticed that the vehicle is crabbing a lot more. It can be quite embarrassing at times on the company car-park as people stop to listen at the wonderful noise that the tyres make as they skip across the tarmac in and out of my parking bay.
I have contacted Mercedes Customer support who have sent me their obligatory email stating that it is not a safety issue but more of a comfort one.
Wheels 20"
Tyres - Pirelli Scorpion Verde

:frown2:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same model delivered late December same tyres and haven't had this problem yet only 1200 miles so far.have you asked about the knuckle apgrade.i find you get a better response by speaking to them on the phone instead of email.

Hi all, I purchased a GLC 220 Urban Edition last September 2018. Now that we are experiencing lower temperatures here in the UK, I have noticed that the vehicle is crabbing a lot more. It can be quite embarrassing at times on the company car-park as people stop to listen at the wonderful noise that the tyres make as they skip across the tarmac in and out of my parking bay.
I have contacted Mercedes Customer support who have sent me their obligatory email stating that it is not a safety issue but more of a comfort one.
Wheels 20"
Tyres - Pirelli Scorpion Verde

/forum/images/GLCForums/smilies/tango_face_sad.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same model delivered late December same tyres and haven't had this problem yet only 1200 miles so far.have you asked about the knuckle apgrade.i find you get a better response by speaking to them on the phone instead of email.
Spoke to MB on the phone, they say there is a couple of potential actions they can undertake but they need to have a look at the car. My intention is to book it in at the earliest opportunity. Problem got worst after 2500 miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cheers keep us informed you would of thought they would know what your car needs by the chassis number.would be nice to get all season tyres free as this is what I will be fitting when mine wear out.also have the knuckle done as well for best of both worlds

I have the same model delivered late December same tyres and haven't had this problem yet only 1200 miles so far.have you asked about the knuckle apgrade.i find you get a better
response by speaking to them on the phone instead of email.
Spoke to MB on the phone, they say there is a couple of potential actions they can undertake but they need to have a look at the car. My intention is to book it in at the earliest opportunity. Problem got worst after 2500 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers keep us informed you would of thought they would know what your car needs by the chassis number.would be nice to get all season tyres free as this is what I will be fitting when mine wear out.also have the knuckle done as well for best of both worlds
MB have my chassis number their quoted it in their email, to be honest after reading through all of this thread going back years you would have thought MB would have undertaken a factory fix. Its just a pee take when you have to keep taking vehicles back for issues the factory are a aware of ! I have had the same sort of issues with my new e class I purchased 2 years ago (not crabbing) but all new discs and pads fitted at 4k miles causing steering judder, electric windows operating on their own, numerous software updates, audio and nav system failing to name just a few. What has happened to MB over the last few years ? quality seems to be suffering and should not expected from a so called quality manufacturer. :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
All manufacturers have issues, BMW are having a lot of issues (mainly software) with their new X5 which was only launched a couple of months ago. Land rover have major issues with their cars.
Apart from the crabbing issue there has been very few issues with the GLC in the 3 years since its release, they should have sorted the crabbing and them describing it as a "characteristic" is unacceptable, hopefully the knuckles will sort this but at the moment they are not available for the 43 or 63.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Currently up in the Lake District and the wheels have crabbed a bit but again only whilst executing parking manoeuvre's . The temperature has been around -1 upto about 4 degrees on a daily basis. Snow is forecast tomorrow so I'll see what they're like then.

Flapps

·
Registered
154 Posts
-2 outside and try as I may I can't get my summer tyres to crab.wonder if mine has the new knuckle fitted from new only done 1300 miles though

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Could well have been done Learoy, will know when as well as cold the surface is wet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I had a similar problem with my GLC. I spoke to my dealer about it and he said that was a known issue with the OEM tyres in the UK scrubbing on full lock. The original Pirelli tyres were particularly prone to it due to the tread pattern. As my GLC had done less than 15k there was a Merc funded tyre swap. I had all my tyres swapped by the dealer at no cost and the problem went away. It comes back only at very very low temperatures, but never as bad as before. As far as I am concerned - all fixed.

Next problem will be making sure when I have to replace the tyres I make sure I don't get the problem back again!

HTH

1041 - 1059 of 1095 Posts