Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1061 - 1081 of 1095 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is now 2019 and Mercedes are still doing nothing . I own the S63 the wheel crabbing goes on and merc say it’s a characteristic of the car !!! But not a good one . They refuse too do nothing not even replacement tyres they have worn out after 10000 miles so excessive wear as well !, they say there are not any replacement tyres available for 20 inch wheels and expect me to pay for winter tyres . This is totally unexceptable but. Where do you turn I would send the car back given the chance

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had booked my glc 350 in today to have this issue looked at...I have now been told that Mercedes are going to change the discs & knuckles as they now say this is causing the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had booked my glc 350 in for this issue today...but was told that Mercedes have identified that the discs & knuckles are causing the problem & it'll be 5 working days before the parts are sent from Germany..

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
It is now 2019 and Mercedes are still doing nothing . I own the S63 the wheel crabbing goes on and merc say it’s a characteristic of the car !!! But not a good one . They refuse too do nothing not even replacement tyres they have worn out after 10000 miles so excessive wear as well !, they say there are not any replacement tyres available for 20 inch wheels and expect me to pay for winter tyres . This is totally unexceptable but. Where do you turn I would send the car back given the chance
If you are in the UK try the motoring ombudsman, I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This may be something called 'Crabbing' and is a known issue on all GLC and other MB AWD models. MB need to come up with a fix for it, but my dealer tells me it's not a safety problem. It is more noticeable in in wet conditions and the AWD tries to get grip. I have told MB customer service about the issue, so they do know about it.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
This may be something called 'Crabbing' and is a known issue on all GLC and other MB AWD models. MB need to come up with a fix for it, but my dealer tells me it's not a safety problem. It is more noticeable in in wet conditions and the AWD tries to get grip. I have told MB customer service about the issue, so they do know about it.
Have you read this thread!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ref: https://whrl.pl/RfoAyb

Knuckle replacement completed.
First impressions:
Any evidence of wheel crabbing/scrubbing ….gone.
Understeer at near full lock turn on wet surface (small round-a-bout) …..Gone.
Tyre wear? ...give me 10,000 km, though not sure I have 10K left in the Bridgestones.
Generally feels a bit better in corners, slight increase in centering force of steering. (this had decreased after wheel alignment done prior to knuckle change) ..Handling feel in corners, subtle, but feels better.

Any GLC owner ...just do it!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 GLC250d has 45,000kms on it and was due for its second (B) service. I have had some crabbing and mentioned it to the head mechanic at MB Canberra (Austrlia) when I was booking in the car. He was unaware of a fix and undertook to investigate with MB and get back to me. Within an hour or so he came back and thanked me for alerting him to the solution being offered by MB. Said they would need to do a test drive, take some measurements of tyre wear, alignment etc and then have MB approve (or not) the fix.

Just had the service done and they agreed that the knuckle fix was warranted. They have ordered the parts: 2 steering knuckles, 2 front brake cover plates and 2 screws. Booked in to do it in early October when it suits my plans.

Also had them look at the auto stop/start which had not been working for some time. They kept it over night to charge the battery fully to their satisfaction, then agree that it was a fault. The post-service report noted 'found fault code registered within starter battery capacity...... result came back replacing starter battery.' Still working so far.

In terms of tyre wear, I still have the original Pirelli tyres fitted, now with 45,000 kms on them. Tread measurements noted on this 2-year service report are: RH Front 4/3/4, LH Front 4/3/3, RH Rear 3/ 4/4 and LH Rear 5/5/5 (I had a major puncture on this LH Rear wheel around 10,000kms ago and had to replace the tyre so that explains it deeper tread readings).

I've always run 38 PSI all round and had JAX Tyres here in Canberra rotate, balance and align every 12,000 to 15,000 kms. For around $60 a time, it's certainly a good investment! You can see from the readings that the tyre wear is even across each tyre, and even across the three original tyres.

Crabbing aside, which is about to be fixed, couldn't be happier with MB Canberra's support and willingness to listen to reasonable argument.

My tip is be reasonable and friendly when dealing the workshop staff and they will look after you.

And to the folks who don't check their tyre pressures each week (it's easy to do when you fill your tank up), or think that regular balance/alignment/rotation is a waste of money, please reconsider. Your car and wallet will thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Welcome Yuno and good to hear your car is being fixed, worrying though that they didn't know about the issue as it has been on every RHD GLC since beginning of 2017 until November last year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a GLC63s for about two months now, bought new. Initially there was a bit of steering juddering when on full lock although as the temperatures were higher then, the effect was annoying but bearable. As we head into the winter here in the UK and the temperatures drop, the problem is becoming unbearable. The car actually shakes and vibrates as the tyre skips across the surface of the road. The noise it makes from inside the cabin and from outside is enough to make people look up and stare. Not really what you expect from a premium luxury vehicle.
I have been onto Mercedes UK about this, who initially suggested replacing the standard tyres with winter tyres. When I suggested there is a fault with the car design and they should fund the tyres, their response: "The reason we are not covering the cost of the replacement tyres is because the 'tyre skipping' phenomena has been deemed a characteristic of the vehicle - albeit one which some customers are unhappy with, such as in this instance - and not a fault in the design of the vehicle. The vehicle has the characteristic to ensure the highest performance."

Some customers unhappy about the vehicle characteristic? What a pile of crap! Mercedes have known about this problem since 2016 (probably before), and have continued to sell the vehicle without fixing the problem. Shame on you Mercedes.

I am really torn what to do now. I like the vehicle in most other ways, but the tyre skipping is driving me to distraction (literally!). If I sell it, I will lose a fortune - that is if anyone would want to buy it with its quirky "characteristic".

Any other CLC63s or other GLC derivatives, owners in the same boat??

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
ALL 43 and 63 owners are in same boat, read through this thread and the steering knuckle thread on which I posted a letter MB sent out in February 2017.

I would go to the motoring ombudsman as I did, you are in a better position now as in my opinion they have admitted it is a fault NOT a characteristic by replacing the steering knuckles on all other versions.

You are correct, it is UNBEARABLE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All
I have just bought a 2018 GLC and was told about the judder on delivery after they taken my money, after reading few of the forums realising there is s a fix I got in contact with MB who kept passing me around their switchboard. I finally got a response and they agree to call me back tomorrow to arrange for the car seen to but they are still adamant that it is the characteristic of the car. I’m just wondering if anyone that have had the knuckle changed happen to have anything I can use to support my case? I’m worried that they will brush me of like others and gather enough facts or evidence to ensure they change the knuckle. Any specifics or document addressing the fix would be a great help! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is NO Knuckle Fix for GLC AMG C43 or C63’s - owners of these cars have to live with the Crabbing Fault 😩

MB Dealers will fit the Knuckle fix to all other versions of GLC

MB UK informed all dealers that they must make prospective GLC customers aware of this fault - characteristic - ahead of making the sale. Customers have been complaining about this fault for 4 years, and all the dealers / service departments are fully aware of the issue.

If your dealer claims it’s just a characteristic of the GLC, call MB UK directly and they will arrange for the fix. Unless you have a C43 or C63 - then you are stuffed 🤯

TM

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a GLC Coupe AMG 43 on PCP since last September. We have done just over 5,000 miles in that time and the car is terrible - juddering and crabbing - the front tires are completely worn out and there is a terrible grinding noise when breaking and accelerating.

I have taken it into 2 Mercedes outlets only to be told that the crabbing is normal and that the tires need to warm up.. I find this totally unacceptable in a vehcle costing around £50,000. I'm so relived I found this thread and shall be reading all 107 pages with interest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the knuckle replacement +alignment done in April this year....I have a glc 350 & initially it seemed to have worked even without having all weather tyres...I have noticed over the past couple of days the skipping has returned & passenger front tyre is scrubbing on outer shoulder....anyone got any ideas.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Really interesting to read this. How worn are the tyres? I have a late 2018 model which crabbed very little when new (I am told it has the new knuckles), As the outside edge of the tyre has worn, it’s skipping a bit on smooth roads. The front tyres have lasted ~15k, which is not too bad I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unbelievable response from Mercedes. I’ve just had my 2016 CLC 4 Matic Coupe put through its first MOT. Low and behold the front two tyres are just on the legal limit. My car along with lots of other GLC models is crabbing when slow reversal. The mileage on my car is 11473 miles, I bought it new and have been the sole driver for three years. As you can see that’s a very low mileage. Mercedes at Preston Farm Stockton replaced or repaired the knuckle joints when it had roughly 9000 miles on it. There response has been as per Mercedes wording. This is a characteristic of the GLC to judder and clunk when reversing at slow speed. They have wiped their hands of any responsibilities. No offer of tyre replacement, poor customer service to say the least. If 11473 miles is normal wear that means I’d have had three sets of tyres if I’d completed the average mileage over 3 years. I’m so angry with Mercedes response. I’ll never purchase another one of their vehicles. This is my 2nd car. Ombudsman next but will hopefully get rid of car ASAP.
My advice KEEP WELL CLEAR OF MERCEDES

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
Good luck with the ombudsman, I would think that as they have replaced the steering knuckles you will struggle to get new tyres as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unbelievable response from Mercedes. I’ve just had my 2016 CLC 4 Matic Coupe put through its first MOT. Low and behold the front two tyres are just on the legal limit. My car along with lots of other GLC models is crabbing when slow reversal. The mileage on my car is 11473 miles, I bought it new and have been the sole driver for three years. As you can see that’s a very low mileage. Mercedes at Preston Farm Stockton replaced or repaired the knuckle joints when it had roughly 9000 miles on it. There response has been as per Mercedes wording. This is a characteristic of the GLC to judder and clunk when reversing at slow speed. They have wiped their hands of any responsibilities. No offer of tyre replacement, poor customer service to say the least. If 11473 miles is normal wear that means I’d have had three sets of tyres if I’d completed the average mileage over 3 years. I’m so angry with Mercedes response. I’ll never purchase another one of their vehicles. This is my 2nd car. Ombudsman next but will hopefully get rid of car ASAP.
My advice KEEP WELL CLEAR OF MERCEDES
Same place I bought mine, pretty much same response too. Initially they changed the two front tyres for new which were supposed to be different, however I looked at all codes and they were exactly the same. Just new which masks the effect for a while. They also damaged my wheels in the process, luckily I had took photos at drop off, had to argue for replacement and keep warranty intact as opposed to refurb. Subsequent visit for an oil leak resulted in car doing approx. 60 miles whilst they had it which I thought was excessive. Not a good experience with a premium brand, was going to buy a C63 or A45 AMG, but went BMW M3 instead.

1061 - 1081 of 1095 Posts