Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1081 - 1095 of 1095 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

The service manager told me the car is safe to drive. However, I'm not so sure.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John
I have the exact same problem and they have given me the exact same lines of BS. I feel like your wife. This car makes me nervouse to drive. In a parking lot someone jumped when I was backing out of a parking space and I thought somehow I must have hit her. When I rolled down my window she said no I thought you hit the car next to you. How embarrassing. I told her no my car has major design flaws. I will never buy another Mercedes. The dealership wants $5500 to switch it out for a different vehicle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
MB Teeside is part of the Sytner group same as the 2 branches on Tyneside. I bought my car from the Newcastle branch but won't buy a second from them. They bu**gered up the fitting of new knuckles on my car after which the handling was so bad on damp roads that I wouldn't drive it. I took a heavy handed approach eventually and they took it in for a proper geometry check eventually ( they refused to do that initially ), had the car for 2 days including overnight in the workshop according to mercedes me app and gave me it back saying only a minor adjustment made to the alignment. I insisted on a print out but suspect the before figures were after they put right whatever they had done wrong then adjusted to final. I don't understand the readout though.

Whatever they did wrong initially I'll never know but don't trust them at all, would much rather they had admitted a mistake which I would have accepted rather than a cover up so my next service will be at MB Coldstream a bit further to go but who are always significantly cheaper than Sytner anyway.

Car handling is back to it was so no more problems and quite happy. One grouse though. Why on earth does a standard GLC need a service every 12 months which is so out of line these days and bl**dy expensive. My last BMW and 2 Audis were 2 years or 20k miles and cheaper servicing. It's a rip off IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

The service manager told me the car is safe to drive. However, I'm not so sure.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John
. I picked up my new GLC 300 three weeks ago. Last Friday night driving to Melbourne from Adelaide as I steered out of one lane to another it juddered and screamed. I nearly had a heart attack. I rang online service who recommended it be towed away. They now claim there’s nothing wrong with it and they’ve never heard of this before- must have just been a stone in it! Has anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh no! Is this crabbing issue still a thing? I’m just on the verge of buying a glc 300 amg line, was going to trade up my Tiguan r line 2018 for one. Reading the latest replies seems people are still having this issue with 2020 vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
1,137 Posts
NO problem on new vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still problems with the AMG 43 & 63 models, all others are fine now, older models can be retro fitted with a mod to cure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is a link to RHD 250d wheel alignment, with knuckle fix already done.

Follow link to photo with new alignment settings for 250d, steel springs, knuckle converted.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post7999892

Earlier post has 250d air suspension, also with knuckle conversion.
Hope this helps some owners.

This is for Australia, would be interested in seeing UK default settings, I wonder if both UK and Oz have same wheel align settings, given we are RHD .

·
Registered
448 Posts
Would be interested in seeing UK default settings, I wonder if both UK and Oz have same wheel align settings, given we are RHD .
G'day Teckno. I showed my UK knuckle fix alignment settings at the end of this post: The Final Solution
You could compare them with settings for the 250d air suspension Aussie car.

Trev.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It amazes me that you guys are still buying the GLC knowing that this fault existed as part of the GLC set up away back in Dec 2016 and has never been sorted. I spoke to a Stealer last week and he assured me that the problem was fixed, it's obvious that one could not believe their Oath....(n)

·
Registered
39 Posts
It amazes me that you guys are still buying the GLC knowing that this fault existed as part of the GLC set up away back in Dec 2016 and has never been sorted. I spoke to a Stealer last week and he assured me that the problem was fixed, it's obvious that one could not believe their Oath....(n)
The problem IS fixed, have no issues with my 2019 model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum.

I am due to collect a new GLC Coupe 220d (2016) next week. I am at a point I can still cancel due to this issue but wanted to get some information. I can definitely ask the question whether the service history shows the previous user did the fix (I am guessing not) but in the event they haven't, I will ask if their 3 month warranty will cover it (again, probably not).

Clearly the car is out of warranty, should I ask for the steering knuckle joint fix, what is it likely to cost me?

Thanks all in advance. I really want to be able to take this car home as I got a good price and it looks absolutely awesome. But I don't want to end up with having expensive tyre replacements regularly, especially driving London.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it has a MB used car warranty think I have seen posts were it was covered, why not make it a condition of sale that the mod is carried out before collection if required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it has a MB used car warranty think I have seen posts were it was covered, why not make it a condition of sale that the mod is carried out before collection if required.
Just spoke to a local Mercedes service dealer, they said as this is a known issue it should usually be done under warranty.

1081 - 1095 of 1095 Posts