Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1,121 - 1,140 of 1,227 Posts
The fix was to add the new knuckles (i think that is right). Car was in all day.

The garage was a dealer - MB HQ only passed me on, but I explained the issue to them, they sent me to my local Merc dealer (where I bought the car).

As I bought it from them, I imagine that massively helped my case, as a private purchase probably wouldn't of led to the free fix.

It was a used car, outside of the 3 yr manufacture warranty, but the 1 yr used warranty apparently doesn't cover it, so this was categorised as a gesture of goodwill.

Just to add to this, at the end when I was speaking to the service guy, I was obviously very thankful but also annoyed that a fault was being overlooked.

He actually said 'thank god you don't have the AMG version, they can't be fixed due to different xxxxx' sorry can't remember what was different, possibly steering rack.

The fix was to add the new knuckles (i think that is right). Car was in all day.

The garage was a dealer - MB HQ only passed me on, but I explained the issue to them, they sent me to my local Merc dealer (where I bought the car).

As I bought it from them, I imagine that massively helped my case, as a private purchase probably wouldn't of led to the free fix.

It was a used car, outside of the 3 yr manufacture warranty, but the 1 yr used warranty apparently doesn't cover it, so this was categorised as a gesture of goodwill.
Thanks Adam and we'll done again for getting your car sorted. MB HQ as useful as a chocolate teapot

I took my car in for a service recently and asked the local Mercedes garage to look at the tyre skipping issue. It only skips badly when it is cold (19" wheels with Scorpion Verde tyres).

I was told that the warranty on the car with relation to skipping only covers 19,000 miles and my car was over that at 25,000 miles. I countered that say the car has a 3 yrs warranty but they would not accept that. I had asked about the knuckles being replaced as part of a fix and was told they are not available for 2018 models (another lie).

I made a complaint as they had lied about other work done on the car and said I did not believe anything they told. me.

I got an apology, apparently the 19000 mile limit applies to tyre wear only and yes the replacement steering knuckles do fit this model. It is now booked in to have the replacement knuckles fitted, apparently this takes 2-3 days.

Do not believe anything the garage tells you, this forum is great for getting to the bottom of issues and often collectively we have better knowledge than the garage on issues as no one get told the same thing.

Took a look at our tyres yesterday - 20” All Season, Goodyear Eagle Sport Run Flats that were supplied FOC by MB in an attempt to hide the Crabbing Fault. MB eventually fitted the New Knuckle Fix under warranty.

These tyres have done 22,000 miles - originals only lasted 12,000 miles. But amazingly the rears look like new with fronts are showing heavy wear on the outer edges, but still ok and legal.

So today I had my local tyre supplier swap the Rear tyres onto the front. Be interesting to monitor the wear. Will keep you posted.

Tony

Sawasdee khrap. Here in the UK we are getting the modified steering knuckles fitted under warranty. It is not being handled as a recall, you have to request it and your Dealer will seek approval from MB UK. I'm surprised you are experiencing the tyre skipping phenomenon given the average temperature in Thailand but maybe you have very low profile tyres fitted. Here in the UK MB the problem only really manifested itself when the weather got cooler. The first solution was for MB to offer replacement tyres with a more pliable rubber compound to absorb the lateral forces being exerted by the incorrect steering geometry found in RHD cars. But as the tyres wore down or the weather got even colder the problem manifested itself again so a revised steering knuckle was devised to correct the geometry. I think Thailand probably has fewer GLCs than the UK and, with the warmer climate, there has been less complaints for MB to consider it a significant problem. If you decide to fund the retrofit yourself, I have itemised the part numbers used over in the dedicated steering knuckle thread here:

Steering Knuckle Anti-Clonk Fix
Good morning. Thank you for our reply
Yes, we have the same problem and it is quite serious. I live in the city where turning is almost equal as straight so that eat up tires quickly, maybe at 25000 km. The tires not only worn off but wavy due to side scrubbing so you will have noise at high speed.
Do you have any official documents from MB on such a replacement? My MB Th acts very weirdly toward my request as this unknow issue.
How is the spread in the UK. It seems to slow down so you all can have your life back. Thailand is free for 30+ days but life is not lively due to the thread of the second wave.
Talk to you.

Ours is a 250D AMG Line on 20” wheels. After 12k miles the original front tyres were completely worn on the outer 2 inches. Complained but dealer said it was normal for a heavy car - bs.

MB UK then fitted All Season tyres FOC. Claiming this would stop the crabbing, it didn’t, but was slight improvement while on new rubber - flex in new tyre absorbed and masked the Crabbing.

After 3 years MB HQ came up with the New Knuckle Fix, FOC Another improvement and makes the car acceptable, but not 100% fixed

To answer your question - the replacement All Season RF tyres have now done 20k miles and still looking good with even wear. So the New Knuckle Wheel Alignment has made a big improvement to Crabbing and tyre wear.

Definitely have the fix done if you are planning to keep the car for a few years. It will pay for itself just in tyre costs.

Make sure the dealer does a Full Wheel Alignment check after fitting the new knuckles - essential!

Hope this helps
Tony
Hi Tony
Do you have any documents showing MB offered you a replacement of knuckles? It would be very helpful in my case. Thank you.

Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

The service manager told me the car is safe to drive. However, I'm not so sure.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John
hi John I know exactly what the problem is as I’ve had it myself with my 220d GLC 2018. I haven’t read the rest of the replies so someone may have already said.
It’s the front knuckle joint, there’s a fault in them but Mercedes won’t tell you about it. The problem caused my 2 front tyres to wear out within 2 months. Every tight turn I took my wheels would skid across the surface, like over steering. Mercedes wouldn’t replace my tyres even though they admitted this had caused the tyres to wear. No point contacting head office either as they are not interested. I have many other problems with my car at the moment that are not getting resolved by Mercedes. Very poor customer service
Good luck

Does anyone know it the issue was rectified on the 2020 models? or should I be expecting issues. Only had the car a few months and due to the current pandemic it hasn't been used much at all. Whats best to test my model to see if it has this issue?
Thanks in advance.

Our GLC has been fixed by the dealer last year and it's now approaching that time where the front tyres need to be changed and i'll also get a 4 wheel alignment done for peace of mind as the tyre shoulder is virtually bald.

Does anyone know if there is a different set of parameters for the alignment for fixed cars and unfixed cars ?

The parameters such as caster, camber and toe are exactly the same. The new knuckle pushes the values out of spec but the Hunter Hawkeye alignment rig is used to pull them back to the original spec. In the photos accompanying the post in this link, you can see how much the steering rack track rods had to be wound out to get the steering geometry back into spec:

Steering Knuckle Anti-Clonk Fix

1,121 - 1,140 of 1,227 Posts