Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for the reply, just got to decide which tyres to go for now probably all season ones, the rears still have plenty of life on them so the new ones on the front ?

I'm assuming its a front bias car with the rears only driving when needed ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you go for all seasons you should really change all 4 tyres otherwise the tyres will have different handling characteristics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add to this, at the end when I was speaking to the service guy, I was obviously very thankful but also annoyed that a fault was being overlooked.

He actually said 'thank god you don't have the AMG version, they can't be fixed due to different xxxxx' sorry can't remember what was different, possibly steering rack.
Unfortunately for me I have one of the AMG versions. My dealer is being absolutely useless and refusing to do anything. The after-sales manager says he's driven 30 GLC63s and mine is no different to the others. That just tells me they're all broken!

·
Registered
2 Posts
After having my case, for exactly the same issue, decided in favour of Mercedes UK I just don't understand how the Ombudsman works. Surely we should all be treated the same? The Ombudsman ruled in favour of Mercedes because Mercedes admitted this was a 'characteristic' (I hate that word now) of the car. When I sent them the PDF of the decision that was ruled in the customers favour, for exactly the same issue, they said that there were different rules for cars purchased via 'hire purchase' as to those that were via 'lease'. I've no idea if this is correct as I know nothing about this sort of thing...so I've just had to accept it. As this characteristic must have been there at the point of sale the Ombudsman said to open a new case with them against the dealership that sold me the car. Their point being it would not have been of acceptable quality or 'fit for purpose' at the point of sale thus violating the 'sales code'.

Overall gutted that the experience of owning such a car has been blighted by this problem. The intention was to purchase the car outright next June at 36 months of ownership but there is no way we will do that now - we will have to return it losing over £30k in 3 years.

I can't see us getting anywhere with the second Ombudsman case but will update the forum accordingly when I know more.
I think there are two ombudsman organisations being mentioned here. If the car is leased/PCP then the Financial Ombudsman will probably fall in favour of the customer. However, the motoring industry ombudsman are weak and will bow to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy, just found this thread about the front end scudding and like many others in this forum have been told by the dealer that this is standard for a GLC 43. My car is 18 months old with low k’s and I am at the point of needing to replace the front tyres. Is there is a way of telling if the knuckles on my car can be upgraded to solve the issue, have MB supposedly fixed the problem or do I swap tyre brands as others have done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

I have had this problem since new but now the weather is cold and damp or wet the problem is much worse. I have viewed other owners concerns about this phenomena and would like to document my experience.

The car has been with the Mercedes dealership and they have coated the drive shafts with a lubricant to hopefully reduce or remove the problem.

The service manager told me that the clonking noise is from the tyres and another manager told me the car is trying to drive straight ahead (whilst in a turn) and it is the scrubbing of the tyre on the road which is causing the noise and the judder.

The service manager told me the car is safe to drive. However, I'm not so sure.

If I need to turn sharply to avoid a collision I do want the car to turn and avoid the object rather than juddering towards the object.

My wife has said that she would not drive the car until the clonking and juddering was eliminated as it does feel and sound bad when it occurs.

Over the next few days I will check if the lubrication coating has any effect on solving the problem.

I would like to hear the latest situation with regard to all those owners who have the same problem. I.e. is there really a fix or is it a inherent design fault.

John
Merc now have a mod to fix this, I got mine done by them under warrant. It’s been fine since without changing any tyres. Get in to see the dealer and make them do it, it’s no skin of their nose as Merc paid!

·
Registered
152 Posts
OP has a GLC 43 - afraid the Knuckle Fix is not available for the C43 or C63

The Crabbing, Clonking & Juddering is still a big fault on even New 43 & 63’s - Shocking that MB have NOT FIXED THIS FAULT after 5+ years 🤔

Another issue for the 43 & 63 is that All Season / Winter Tyres that help mark the fault are NOT available for these cars ☹

Excellent cars - apart from the Crabbing

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the response I got from the GM of the Dealership here in Oz:

"I was not saying that the tyre skipping does not exist on the GLC43, it certainly does and I am not suggesting that you are imagining it at all. I was just saying that the information that we have is the steering knuckle is not offered as a fix on the GLC43 (AMG in general). In addition premature tyre wear is a separate issue to the tyre skipping, they are related in that when the tyres wear down it can increase the juddering sensation of the tyre skipping but our experience is that the juddering sensation does not increase tyre wear.
I understand your frustration and if there was a way to make it go away we would do it. It is certainly not us as a Dealership saying no to fixing it. We would love nothing better than to make you 100% happy but we are guided by the experts at Mercedes-Benz. They design and build them and we retail them. Unfortunately at Dealer level we can’t alter the car.

Reminds me of the the three monkeys. Hear nothing, see nothing, do nothing (or thereabouts)

David

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mercedes Benz Thailand also refused to replace a newly updated steering knuckle on my 2017 GLC. Some local users already replace themselves the knuckles and the problem is 90% solved. 10 % missing is due to the limitations of design where you cannot further relocate the steering pushrod's pod anymore as it already touch the brake dust plate but we think the life of the tyres will be double (original is between 15000 to 20000 for urban traffic)
I am certain from all 2020 xxx253 models are now equipped with updated knuckles. Same with C43 or any 4WD C 205

Attachments

1141 - 1149 of 1149 Posts