Mercedes GLC Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear your decision daba,I too have had a day of test drives. I raised the issue with my dealer and arranged for an hour of so test drive to try to see the faults.They don't have GLC 43 to try so I was offered a C43 19" wheels with same charateristics and running gear and a GLC 220 AMG line on 20" wheels.
C43 first,pulling off the dealer forecourt - tight left hand - judder straight away.A few miles travel with various roundabouts etc couldn't fault it,by the way the C43 is a quick car.Went to a car park and tried a few parking manouvers - some judders,then to an industrial estate for a full 360 test - judders,this was giving the car massive full lock and some throttle.I tried all these moves with all but no throttle again and the judders can easily be avoided.
GLC 220,off the forecourt as bad as the C43,same carpark not as bad judders,360 test all but no judders,again tried these with a little speed and hanging full lock - judders,tick over speed and and not quite full lock no judders.
This was at Harrogate with 2 deg temp and sleeting rain/snow,when the tyres were cold they were worse,as they warmed,more so with the GLC they were a lot better.I drove each car for around an hour and to be honest by the end I could drive each without bringing on the judder.
Then off to Leeds to test drive a GLC AMG 43 as they have a demo on 21" wheels - same as I'm buying.Coming around the forecourt - block paving - serious judders,test drove for around 5-6 miles and returned to the dealer and drove around the forecourt again at varying speeds and could reduce the judder to almost gone.
Out of the 3 I would say that the AMG GLC 43 was the worst on the 21's.
Has it put me off,prior to today after reading all the post and watching the video's I would say I was having serious doubts on buying the car.The salesman has been very honest and would rather I not buy the car if I'm not happy,as they would rather not have a disgruntled customer.Afterall the dealerships can only voice the Statements that Mercedes are giving them,they are caught in the middle.Some dealers will deal with this issue better than others.
Am I going ahead with the purchase 95% yes,but I've got till the 20 March to say no when I've had a test drive in my car.This may change either way depending on what Mercedes say come friday.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
I really don't want to get into an argument, but I won't shy away from stating my personal opinion. I wouldn't wish what we are experiencing on my worst enemy, and I wish I had that warning prior to purchase and most definitely prior to delivery. And even then I would have taken internet reports with a pinch of salt if I am honest. However the moment the waiver got produced one just knows that this is a very bad situation.

Don't know if you watched The Grand Tour the other week when they were in Germany and discussing rules and adherence to them. That is what I mean by going into a Germanic mode. To me there is no sense in still proceeding with this knowingly. But ultimately it is your choice and I won't loose any sleep over it. And I was really serious, if your car doesn't do this when you do take delivery, then please do step forward and let Mercedes investigate what is different. I mean this is a characteristic isn't it, therefore all of them do this by design.

Nothing nasty or not nice intended, on the contrary - sometimes your 'friends' need to shake you awake and stop you from making a huge mistake.
All in favour of you stating your personal opinion but what has that to do with calling someone insane, I am not aking you to lose any sleep.

Rather than wait for my car which may have the issue why don't you ask Toobad to donate his car as it DOESN'T have it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Philamg
Sounds like you have had a great day test driving , glad you have made a decision to carry on with you purchase. To be honest my dealership have been great with me , a car for a full weekend ! can not be much fairer than that. I all weekend have in all honesty been probably over exaggerating my driving to test the issues , probably if the car was mine I would learn like you seem to have done today to reduce the effect of the crabbing happening. I to have been in car parks in the dark in wet conditions testing. I believe the crabbing to a certain degree could be kept at bay , but re further comments that the could be more than just tyre issues ie transmission /differential issus that further make me loose faith in my purchase. IT A BIT OF A MESS.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi all, My my latest mail tonight:

Dear Gary and Kylie,

I hope you are well.

I would like to update you with the current situation of my car.

Firstly I am quite disappointed in the fact that the CEO office (Kylie) has not followed up with me after your last mail to me below. I would have thought that you would have mailed me back for an update given my physical circumstances.

Steve Perrett at MB World Brooklands has been wonderful, although Steve was also not able to fix the issue for me, as it quite clearly is a design/production flaw. Steve demonstrated the issue himself with a brand new unregistered car to my wife and I.

Steve had my own car examined and there is no technical fault with the car but as we all know, the issue of the crabbing and skipping is occurring with all of the production GLC/C class AMG cars.

Gary/Kylie, Last week I needed to do a u-turn and my GLC did not respond at all well at low speed as whilst I turned it continued on straight for a few inches and the same happened one recent night when turning left into my home drive way, the left turn did not execute and the car continued straight for a few inches, this was not safe at all. These incidents are on top of the daily ongoing skipping/juddering/crabbing/skidding.

As you all know from my last few mails, I am disabled having no hands and I wear two below knee artificial legs and therefore I would say that safety is of paramount concern to me. My experience is that I do not feel the car is safe and I cannot trust it. I also am not having any enjoyment at all from the vehicle due to this issue. If I had been made aware of the issue before the sale then I would have not placed the order and would have bought something else.

Kylie/Gary and Steve, as an organisation at Mercedes Benz UK, I would like to please request some additional urgent consideration for my case.

What I would like; is to formally reject the car and request my deposit is refunded and any payments I have made to date so that I can return the car and order something else.

Please could you consider my case as a priority and reply back as soon as possible so that we can start this process.

Thank You.

Warm Regards

Rehan Siddiqui

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hi Philamg
Sounds like you have had a great day test driving , glad you have made a decision to carry on with you purchase. To be honest my dealership have been great with me , a car for a full weekend ! can not be much fairer than that. I all weekend have in all honesty been probably over exaggerating my driving to test the issues , probably if the car was mine I would learn like you seem to have done today to reduce the effect of the crabbing happening. I to have been in car parks in the dark in wet conditions testing. I believe the crabbing to a certain degree could be kept at bay , but re further comments that the could be more than just tyre issues ie transmission /differential issus that further make me loose faith in my purchase. IT A BIT OF A MESS.
Hi daba

It was actually Millduu who had the test drive in various models, he says he is 95% certain he will order, mine is at the dealers ready for collection on March 1st.
If possible will the dealer let you carry on with your order and drive the car around the dealers site before making a final decision, worth asking and gives you the option to make a decision on the car you are buying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
From a GLC Lover

I have had my GLC250 Sport since May 2016 and am delighted with it. I have noticed the clonking noise occasionally when manoeuvring on full lock but I'm not overly bothered about it. The GLC is an off roader with full time 4x4 and there's a lot of power and traction control going on down there. It also has a fantastic turning circle, probably better than the C Class Saloon I had before. In a tight turn at low speed, I'm not surprised that there's a bit of tyre scrubbing with the push coming from behind. In my opinion, people seem to be making a drama out of this and I wonder if they appreciate the capability of the vehicle and understand that they have bought an off roader, not just a car. To describe the issue as "crabbing" is alarmist nonsense as that term describes behaviour of a vehicle with a twisted chassis. I have every confidence that my GLC is as well built and safe as my previous Mercedes cars and if anyone is doing figure 8 turns lock to lock at excessive speed to make a point, I hope they enjoy finding out what centre of gravity means.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have to wonder why MB Dealers are asking owners to sign wavers. It smells to me. Why would they do this if they are confident of their position. It doesn't make sense unless they have something they think may bite them later on. If their course of action is to hide behind wavers rather than fix the problem, it's a big concern. There is a problem with either the setup or the choice of tyre they supply by default.

Imagine if Apple bought out an iPhone that juddered below 7c unless you put a cover on it but it worked great for the rest of the year. Would anyone call that a characteristic or a fault. I think it would be called a fault.

The GLC is a new car and I get a lot of comments about it, but I always tell the truth and let people know about the judder. I know for a fact that I've put people off the car and they are losing sales.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought that's been kicking round in my head,how come none of the motoring press never picked up on the windup/crabbing issues.Is it because they just drive them for speed from A to B.
Still trying to convince myself to go through with my car later in March,my dealers letting me take out a C43 and a GLC on 20's on sunday for as long as required to see the juddering first hand,if I'm not happy can cancel my order.
Being mechanically trained and in the tyre trade for the last 25yrs I'm hoping I can play with the camber/toe settings to reduce the problem down a little,although this won't help if it does turn out to be a diff problem which is looking more than likely the cause.
I'm 90% sure it's a toe in issue and nothing to do with the 4matic setup. Keep me updated if you find anything please.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi Pat and welcome to the forum. I'd be very interested to hear on what basis you conclude this is just a toe-in issue. I find it hard to believe Mercedes would have decided to weather the veritable sh1tstorm that has erupted by not freely admitting they have set all their RHD 4WD 4MATICS up wrongly. The Germans do have a bit of a reputation for arrogance but that would be taking it to a whole new level. So instead of systematically calling the cars back for an easy adjustment, they have taken the decision is make people sign disclaimers regarding this "characteristic.

Perhaps the GLC's mid-lifecycle refresh will include and new mode called Low Speed Front Axle Drift Assist Plus made available for free across the entire range because they value us so much. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
All in favour of you stating your personal opinion but what has that to do with calling someone insane, I am not aking you to lose any sleep.
Because in my opinion it is an irrational decision. But hey, you can choose to interpret it which ever way you want. I did not intend that comment as an insult, purely as an accurate description of my opion.

Rather than wait for my car which may have the issue why don't you ask Toobad to donate his car as it DOESN'T have it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you - I didn't realise that Toobad's car doesn't do this either. Is that correct Toobad? What model/engine etc do you have? How many miles have you done?

It is something that I was thinking about of putting up on the website, at what kind of mileage did this become unbearable? I mean I noticed mine first when I arrived home from the dealers. But I'd say that 2,200 miles onwards it started to become unbearable and made me start to look online to see if anything was known about it. And I came across Tony's video first.

I subscribe to Tony's theory that it is masked more when the tyres are new. My front left passenger side is nearly worn now at 4,007 miles and it is definitely worse than when the tyres were new.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GLC, I just want this part fixed. But if they can't and considering Mercedes recognises it themselves that have to put out a waiver it will be time to get rid of it. I always thought rejecting a car would be easy, unfortunately it is not easy once you've driven it out of the showroom. Hence people please think twice and three times before you proceed, as those nice people won't be nice and will not be the decision makers once you've paid and driven away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Pat and welcome to the forum. I'd be very interested to hear on what basis you conclude this is just a toe-in issue. I find it hard to believe Mercedes would have decided to weather the veritable sh1tstorm that has erupted by not freely admitting they have set all their RHD 4WD 4MATICS up wrongly. The Germans do have a bit of a reputation for arrogance but that would be taking it to a whole new level. So instead of systematically calling the cars back for an easy adjustment, they have taken the decision is make people sign disclaimers regarding this "characteristic.

Perhaps the GLC's mid-lifecycle refresh will include and new mode called Low Speed Front Axle Drift Assist Plus made available for free across the entire range because they value us so much. ;)
Mine is booked in with Wheels in Motion in Chesham tomorrow morning - we'll find out quickly whether it is correct or not. There have been reports from Australia from a chap called Teckno where this has resolved it enough for him. It has been part of my ongoing complained with my supplying dealer, I've asked them each and every time why they haven't checked the geometry of the car. It isn't cheap as per my experience with my GL class when you have air suspension. Hence I've been singing it out until the dealer does it. I can't wait any longer due to the excessive tyre wear.

But interestingly when I spoke to Sytner group after care director on Friday evening he was stunned as to why they didn't check something so elementary.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had my GLC250 Sport since May 2016 and am delighted with it. I have noticed the clonking noise occasionally when manoeuvring on full lock but I'm not overly bothered about it. The GLC is an off roader with full time 4x4 and there's a lot of power and traction control going on down there. It also has a fantastic turning circle, probably better than the C Class Saloon I had before. In a tight turn at low speed, I'm not surprised that there's a bit of tyre scrubbing with the push coming from behind. In my opinion, people seem to be making a drama out of this and I wonder if they appreciate the capability of the vehicle and understand that they have bought an off roader, not just a car. To describe the issue as "crabbing" is alarmist nonsense as that term describes behaviour of a vehicle with a twisted chassis. I have every confidence that my GLC is as well built and safe as my previous Mercedes cars and if anyone is doing figure 8 turns lock to lock at excessive speed to make a point, I hope they enjoy finding out what centre of gravity means.
You upgraded to this level of car, I've had quite a few comparisons ;) My last car was a Mercedes GL class, also a fantastic turning circle especially considering the considerable size difference and a million times more capable off road. But exhibited none of this crabbing behaviour; neither does my Golf R 4wd, nor my Audi Quattro, nor the Nissan Navarra I had for towing my boat, nor the Nissan Murano, nor the Nissan Patrol, nor Mercedes G-Wagon. Nor many other cars.

I'm glad you find the kind of tyre wear as linked in these threads totally safe and merely an indication of alarmists drama queens :x

·
Registered
453 Posts
I didn't realise that Toobad's car doesn't do this either. Is that correct Toobad? What model/engine etc do you have? How many miles have you done?
At 4000 miles into my Hankooks on 18-inchers, I can categorically state my 220d does NOT crab, judder and clonk. However, for reasons stated in my post #142 back on Page 15, I fully expect to start experiencing these traits as my tyres continue to wear down. So even if you are currently unaffected, I think it is highly likely this issue is going to eventually bite you. I urge everybody to keep lobbying Mercedes for a plausible explanation and remedial solution for ALL righthand drive 4MATIC vehicles since production began.
Good morning, Jean-Paul. It looks like our cars have covered roughly the same mileage. I'd have no problem with Mercedes having a close look at Red Ken's setup back at Bremen. They could leave me an AMG GT S to pootle around with for a year or two whilst they investigate. In this instance I feel it is only right to make a personal sacrifice and take one for the team. :p

I hope the geometry check yields positive results, I did post up a pic of Teckno's revised settings a few pages back but they are for a 250d on conventional springs.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi GLC_Lover and welcome to the forum. I admire your dedication, 11.25pm on a Sunday evening - I didn't realise the Mercedes PR Dept. worked so late! Is there any chance you could "leak" this week's forthcoming official announcement? >:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good morning, Jean-Paul. It looks like our cars have covered roughly the same mileage. I'd have no problem with Mercedes having a close look at Red Ken's setup back at Bremen. They could leave me an AMG GT S to pootle around with for a year or two whilst they investigate. In this instance I feel it is only right to make a personal sacrifice and take one for the team. :p

I hope the geometry check yields positive results, I did post up a pic of Teckno's revised settings a few pages back but they are for a 250d on conventional springs.
I'll definitely keep that in mind when they get back to me, including your special request :grin2:

I've just taken a look at the data. We've got feedback from 3 owners who registered with a 220d on 18" wheels. Two of them are on Hankook and one on Yokohama tyres. They all declared they've got the issue. The data is correct as of right now :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Philamg
Sorry for miss reading !! Just spoke to dealer who is on his way to pick up the car I have had on test for the weekend. I will of course ask him about taking delivery of my car and testing before the option of rejection. From reading threads , I believe the crabbing gets generally worse over time , and the way its panning out its a more of an underlying problem that MB needs to deal with. Also reading threads I haven't herd anyone who as not been subject to the crabbing issues. I have told my salesman that there is apparently another letter from MB due on the 17th Feb so will see what that as to say als0.
Disappointed customer.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Hi Philamg
Sorry for miss reading !! Just spoke to dealer who is on his way to pick up the car I have had on test for the weekend. I will of course ask him about taking delivery of my car and testing before the option of rejection. From reading threads , I believe the crabbing gets generally worse over time , and the way its panning out its a more of an underlying problem that MB needs to deal with. Also reading threads I haven't herd anyone who as not been subject to the crabbing issues. I have told my salesman that there is apparently another letter from MB due on the 17th Feb so will see what that as to say als0.
Disappointed customer.
Hi Daba, understand where you are coming from but there are owners who don't have the issue, read Toobads post yesterday.

161 - 180 of 1137 Posts