Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Though 30 cases have been reported worldwide, Mercedes is only issuing a recall in the UK for 400,000 vehicles over a potential airbag safety issue. Affected models includes the A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, and E-Class, and CLA, GLA, and GLC ranges, manufactured between November 2011 and July 2017.

No, this isn’t related to the exploding Takata airbag scandal and no deaths were reported in relation the issue. The problem Mercedes has is with the clock spring model in the steering column, which could break and deploy the airbag outside of a crash.

"If the steering column module clock spring is broken and the wiring components are not sufficiently earthed, this could lead to an electrostatic discharge which could inadvertently deploy the driver's airbag," said a Mercedes-Benz spokesperson.

Owners are urged to contact roadside assistance if the air bag warning light comes on, otherwise the listed models are safe to drive. Even if the light doesn’t turn on, Mercedes will still contact owners with affected vehicles and the fix will take less than one hour to complete. All the service department has to do is replace the clock spring model, free or charge.

Currently, we don’t know if Mercedes will issue a recall in other markets aside from the UK.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is why I like having a good dealer to handle jobs like this because often they will make sure you know about the issue in a timely manner and take you through the process as you would expect. Thankfully i'm in north america so i won't be impacted by this recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is why I like having a good dealer to handle jobs like this because often they will make sure you know about the issue in a timely manner and take you through the process as you would expect. Thankfully i'm in north america so i won't be impacted by this recall.
Unfortunately, now North America is affected. I purchased a 2017 GLC 43 AMG on 10/22 and my dealership will not let take delivery of the vehicle due to the stop sale- however the paperwork and all is done, just waiting of recall fix so I can bring my new addition home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, now North America is affected. I purchased a 2017 GLC 43 AMG on 10/22 and my dealership will not let take delivery of the vehicle due to the stop sale- however the paperwork and all is done, just waiting of recall fix so I can bring my new addition home.
Did they give you something else to drive before you get GLC?? When the delivery had to take place?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmmm....I just picked my GLC300 up at the Factory in Stuttgart on 25 September. I wonder if they addressed this issue prior to my delivery????

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would have thought it would be ok. Cars "manufactured between November 2011 and July 2017" Your car would probably have been built in August or I assume?

They know about these issues way before it goes public, always best to check though with your dealer they'll know..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did they give you something else to drive before you get GLC?? When the delivery had to take place?
Yes they took over my trade in and gave me a C300 to drive. The saleswoman also told me if it is not fixed prior to my 1st payment due date that Mercedes Benz would also pay my payment. We will see- I’m not sure, could have been a sales tactic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes they took over my trade in and gave me a C300 to drive. The saleswoman also told me if it is not fixed prior to my 1st payment due date that Mercedes Benz would also pay my payment. We will see- I’m not sure, could have been a sales tactic.

So yes, the above mentioned was definitely a sales pitch- the dealership was not even submitting the signed paperwork until the car could be delivered- possibly on into December or later. My husband upgraded me from the GLC 43 coupe to the GLE 43 coupe! I have had it 2 days now and absolutely LOVE it!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
So yes, the above mentioned was definitely a sales pitch- the dealership was not even submitting the signed paperwork until the car could be delivered- possibly on into December or later. My husband upgraded me from the GLC 43 coupe to the GLE 43 coupe! I have had it 2 days now and absolutely LOVE it!!!
How are you liking the difference in driving performance? Curious because you will probably miss out on the nimbleness of the GLC but gain on the better straight line performance of the GLE.
I don't need the space a GLE has, hence why i'm here for the GLC, but won't mind a GLE if performance is better.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
how are you liking the difference in driving performance? Curious because you will probably miss out on the nimbleness of the glc but gain on the better straight line performance of the gle.
I don't need the space a gle has, hence why i'm here for the glc, but won't mind a gle if performance is better.

glc43 0-60 4.9 seconds, gle43 0-60 5.7 seconds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How are you liking the difference in driving performance? Curious because you will probably miss out on the nimbleness of the GLC but gain on the better straight line performance of the GLE.
I don't need the space a GLE has, hence why i'm here for the GLC, but won't mind a GLE if performance is better.
I only test drove the GLC for a brief moment. So I don't have a lot to compare it to. My previous vehicle was a Yukon Denali, and the Denali has nothing on the GLE. Not one regret going with the GLE AT ALL. We love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts