Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to place my order for a 2018 GLC Coupe for European Delivery from the US. I currently lease a GLA that I picked up European Delivery in 2015 and I'm excited to do this again!

I do have a question about people's experience with Car Play navigation data usage.

I have an unlocked iPhone so I'm planning to buy a local SIM card (Germany, Austria or Switzerland -- I'll take any advice on that as well). How much data will it eat up while using my phone for navigation? Planning on about 14 days, driving through the Alps in Austria and Switzerland, maybe totalling about 1200 miles or so total.

On my last trip they loaned me a Garmin GPS, but it wasn't the best, so I'd prefer my phone for navigation.

Any insight appreciated!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't really think there's a way to track how much data the nav system uses vie the infotainment screen and background running systems could eat up some data too. I think the easiest thing to do would be to get a phone mount and use your iPhone as a GPS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Google maps really doesn't use much data at all, I've been curious about this as well on long trips as I generally prefer to use my phone for navigation. On average Google Maps navigation uses roughly 1 MB for every 10 miles. Not sure what your package is but you should only use up around 120-150 MB of data for your trip. I cant confirm this to be an exact formula, just what I've come to find aha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google maps really doesn't use much data at all, I've been curious about this as well on long trips as I generally prefer to use my phone for navigation. On average Google Maps navigation uses roughly 1 MB for every 10 miles. Not sure what your package is but you should only use up around 120-150 MB of data for your trip. I cant confirm this to be an exact formula, just what I've come to find aha.
Thanks, Caysen! I went back and searched through my data usage for Waze and Google maps here at home, but it's hard to get really granular on the data. I've found some European 10 gigabyte SIM cards on Amazon, so hopefully that would be about enough for two weeks of driving and Instagramming!:wink2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts