Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid December, bought a 2020 GLC 300. Made holiday trip from Fort Worth to Kansas City area. On way back, a truck shredded a tire, car in front pitched up a piece. Heard a noise, but nothing visible. Back inFort Worth, took car in for undercarriage inspection. Was assured that there was no damage. Around March 1, hot day, no A/C. Took car in, got a loaner. Days later, get a call about damage. Went to dealer to see on rack. Thin plastic panels behind bumper are off. Visible damage A/C evaporator, compresses cooler, radiator. A/C coolant gone. Not a single error indicator shown to driver. We are not sure is this damage was there when we bought the car or from what we brought it in for the first time. It could have been damaged at the factory. We have no way of knowing because it was winter and we had not tried to turn on the A/C until now. We get a lame excuse that they inspect all their cars. Well, they certainly didn’t catch it the first time we brought it in. Gave it a clean bill of health.

They also are telling us that the lack of any damage indication in the flimsy plastic under shield is because it is so flexible and flimsy that it flexed and caused all the damage to (in their words) “the soft aluminum stack of radiators”, in spite of no visible damage to the plastic shield. We think this is rather lame and are not convinced that it wasn’t already damaged when we got it. We are looking at thousands of dollars to fix.

As a PhD Engineer who used to work at Bell Labs, I am absolutely appalled by this design, in which all these radiators hang below the front bumper, shielded from road debris only by a flimsy thin plastic cover. I don’t know for sure what happened, but I am so ticked off, I’m considering suing for them to take the car back so we can acquire something else that is better designed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts