Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a GLC250d AMG with Premium Plus and Driver Assistance Pack and 20'' Alloys
I didn't go for the 20'' alloys, but dealer told me the factor ran out of the Standard 19'' alloys and I will have to wait more time if I don't go for the 20''

As I didn't opt for the Air Suspension, would any member informed whether the ride with standard AMG suspension is still good

I am used to firm ride like BMW X3 Msport , Boxster etc

Hope you can help!

Can should arrive next Feb.17

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi i took a 250amg out on test yesterday was impressed very good ride i had it in comfort mode couldn't fault the ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply
I can buy with confidence now
Looking forward to driving the car in FEB 17
I did test drive the GLC , but the dealer only have a 220d in Sport trim, so cant really tell what a 250d AMG with 20'' ride is like with that test drive
I am buying from another dealer anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've just done the same, well 220d AMG Line..drove the Sport for 20 miles found it a bit 'mushy', so I ordered the AMG after a drive around the block. Not keen on the steering wheel but I'll live with it. Not received the order confirmation yet so no news on wheels.

I am concerned about the ride on broken surfaces though, which is why I backed out of getting a Lexus NX. Interested to hear more views on AMGs without air.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Juddering & Skipping GLC

I've just done the same, well 220d AMG Line..drove the Sport for 20 miles found it a bit 'mushy', so I ordered the AMG after a drive around the block. Not keen on the steering wheel but I'll live with it. Not received the order confirmation yet so no news on wheels.

I am concerned about the ride on broken surfaces though, which is why I backed out of getting a Lexus NX. Interested to hear more views on AMGs without air.

I replaced an X3 with a GLC 250d AMG line 20" wheels and it's a great looking car - BUT would strongly recommend testing the GLC on full-lock reversing and driving out of and into parking spaces, to see if you can live with the inherent juddering and skipping that is apparently a feature of this car - in my opinion an unacceptable flaw :(

Take a look at the thread - UK - GLC 250d Wheel Judder

Also, search the MBClub UK Forum where others are complaining about the same problem.

Good luck a hope this might be of interest

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks TM. I had an X3 SE for a couple of years, not bad at all. How is the ride on different road with the he AMG Line? Thinking that maybe I should have gone with Sport with air.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The AMG Line on 20" wheels is very comfortable and drives well, but in my opinion struggles a little on corners, where I would say there's a fair degree of understeer. The steering is much lighter and more responsive than the X3, which my wife likes, but lacks 'feel' and the car seems to float through tight corners - I'm no driving expert and this maybe a trait of suv's, but the X3 felt more positive on the road.

MB insist fitting winter tyres will resolve the juddering and skipping problem - this has been noticeably worse during the recent cold days, it really is a nasty and uncomfortable feeling :(

Hoping to get new tyres fitted next week and will report back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you fitted Air suspension? I just remembered that my Boxster I owned previously had also this juddering sometimes on full lock. I didn't do anything at the time and thought there may be a fault. Now I know so many cars have it and its a common issues. X3 is more 'sporty' , but I found the steering too heavy when you are not in a mood for sporty driving, I much prefer a relax drive especially when its a family SUV, not sport car ... the Boxster is even heavier and I don't really like it too, hence I only driven 10,000 miles in 5 years and never missed it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine hasn't got air suspension.

To eliminate the juddering when parking / leaving a space, I have to make 6-point turns, with very little steering movement. People watching must think I'm an awful driver :(

Will try to upload a video showing the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tony,

What's the latest? Did you make the video? I may still have the option to spec air suspension but have got a build slot for a 220d AMG Line. Bit worried about the judder now though!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tony,

What's the latest? Did you make the video? I may still have the option to spec air suspension but have got a build slot for a 220d AMG Line. Bit worried about the judder now though!

I cannot upload the video - need to have made more forum posts before I have permission on this forum.

I may still have the option to spec air suspension but have got a build slot for a 220d AMG Line. Bit worried about the judder now though!

I don't believe the Air Suspension will fix the juddering problem.

Have you test driven a GLC recently and talked about the problem with the dealer?

Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts