Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
New member/owner here. Well, not quite an owner, its my wife's car but she'll never make an appearance on here.

Got a 250d AMG Line Premium Plus. Very lovely car to drive and my wife thinks its much nicer than her last car, an Evoque.

Just got the tyre shudder on lock issue to sort out now - that wa a bit of a surprise...

Owain

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Welcome Owain, see my post on the clonking thread.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Owain and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your new Mercedes experience was somewhat marred by the inclusion of the free "characteristic". By landing here you at least have the cumulative knowledge on the many members who have gone down the same road before you. The tyre skipping is an inherent design fault in the RHD versions of the GLC. The steering gear has to be mounted on the other side of the front differential and there isn't sufficient space in this area to allow the steering geometry the same range it would have in LHD cars. This causes a build-up of lateral forces which then release through the tyres causing the skipping phenomenon. More pliable tyres help to mask the effect hence the swop to all-seasons. Those of us with smaller diameter rims and hence taller tyre sidewalls do a better job of absorbing these forces so are usually less affected.

Michelin Cross Climate SUV are a new generation of all-season tyre bringing improved wet grip, quietness and longevity. Some Stealers have used them as a swop tyre although, sadly, I don't think they are available for your 20-inch diameter wheels. Other than this tyre skipping "comfort issue", I think you will find the GLC to be a truly excellent choice and still leading the competition in the mid-size luxury SUV sector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome.

I've already been over to the clonking thread and put a comment there.
Since we've owned the car, I've not actually driven it. I drove ours for less than 10 minutes before purchasing and another GLC for about 20 minutes so I'm looking forward to getting comfortable and going on reasonable drive. Being a passenger has allowed me to have a good play with the settings, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts