Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Leasing a 2018 GLC and 2019 Acura RDX Advance since 11/19.

My GLC was a demo (owner's elderly wife) and I have only 13,000 mile on it.

I feel like of the 2, the GLC is the best value (residual $26k vs. RDX $29k), and will probably buy it a keep until before the warranty expires.

I am not sure on the RDX, it has been a solid car, with only 14,000 miles. It was more expensive originally, and has more 'tech' features: HUD, adaptive dampers, 16 way heat/vented seat (driver and passenger), and great stereo. However, the transmission and infotainment have me considering passing on it going forward.

The transmission is slow to react at low speeds. 10 speed has a hard time finding correct gear for 5-10MPH coming from a rolling stop. Really noticeable when waiting for a left turn and from a soft rolling stop. The transmission auto shifts very early out of first in every mode. The only fix is to change it to Sport+ mode, which make the engine very punchy. Side effect is it activates the car 'fake engine sounds' on the cabin and tightness the suspension a bit too much for Michigan roads.

I test drove a 2021 GLC300 with AMG line package, Saddle brown interior, Surround stereo/view, 20" AMG wheels and misc. MSRP: $56k.

I am thinking about giving up the RDX, buying the 2018 GLC, and leasing a 2021/22 GLC in Nov 2021. New lease, would cost me: deposit, 1 small monthly and 1 larger monthly payment.

Or I keep the RDX and GLC, since I know they are in great shape with no issues. I can put $0 down and have 2 small monthly payments.

What would you do?

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 W4, 2018 C43 AMG W4
3 Posts
Hello,

Leasing a 2018 GLC and 2019 Acura RDX Advance since 11/19.

My GLC was a demo (owner's elderly wife) and I have only 13,000 mile on it.

I feel like of the 2, the GLC is the best value (residual $26k vs. RDX $29k), and will probably buy it a keep until before the warranty expires.

I am not sure on the RDX, it has been a solid car, with only 14,000 miles. It was more expensive originally, and has more 'tech' features: HUD, adaptive dampers, 16 way heat/vented seat (driver and passenger), and great stereo. However, the transmission and infotainment have me considering passing on it going forward.

The transmission is slow to react at low speeds. 10 speed has a hard time finding correct gear for 5-10MPH coming from a rolling stop. Really noticeable when waiting for a left turn and from a soft rolling stop. The transmission auto shifts very early out of first in every mode. The only fix is to change it to Sport+ mode, which make the engine very punchy. Side effect is it activates the car 'fake engine sounds' on the cabin and tightness the suspension a bit too much for Michigan roads.

I test drove a 2021 GLC300 with AMG line package, Saddle brown interior, Surround stereo/view, 20" AMG wheels and misc. MSRP: $56k.

I am thinking about giving up the RDX, buying the 2018 GLC, and leasing a 2021/22 GLC in Nov 2021. New lease, would cost me: deposit, 1 small monthly and 1 larger monthly payment.

Or I keep the RDX and GLC, since I know they are in great shape with no issues. I can put $0 down and have 2 small monthly payments.

What would you do?
1. Consumer Reports opines that a car only delivers its money's worth if you keep it 10 years.
2. I was mad at MB in the early 2000's and traded an E for an Acura TL type S. After 3 months I switched with my ex for his ML. Not a fair comparison to your modern RDX, but I did not find the handling, braking and general build quality comparable to the Germans. I also concluded I hated plastic imitation wood grain. A petty complaint, but it bugged me.
3. If you keep the GLC, have you considered buying the extended warranty? An electronics failure could pay for it in one repair. Pros and cons on that, but it is a factory warranty which is transferable and much more valuable than an after market wty. for a similar price.
4. Which do you enjoy driving more? Head says RDX is practical; heart says go GLC. Life is too short.

Epilogue: My beloved 17 yr. old T-reg went to the junkyard in the sky in the past month. I personally preferred it to an ML. A friend suggested I test drive a Subaru. I drove 2 and head said this deal is the most sensible. Great bang for the buck, new car wty. and 0% finance. But...... Then I drove a cpo GLC W4. You can guess what I decided. Never thought I could love a 4 banger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Acura as you well know is a Honda on steroids and arguably one of the most reliable cars on the planet. However, compared to a Mercedes GLC which has a soul and more fun to drive. The Germans will never be as reliable as a Japanese company but the Japanese will never be as fun to drive or give you a better driving experience. If you keep it for 10 years then the MB will eat away at your wallet like a carnivorous bacteria where the Acura will run for much longer......but you will just wither and die inside from sheer boredom. I have an AMG43 and if I get bored I just push the accelerator and let the smiles begin.....however would never keep an AMG for more than 5 years because that's when the big bills start to roll in. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts