Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Expecting delivery of launch edition GLC300 next week.
In Georgia now awaiting release.
We were originally just looking for a small commuter and went with the GLA 250. When it
arrived the package was wrong.
Dealer was upset as we were and suggested this car. We had looked at the GLK and we're
told of the upcoming body style change.
What are we to expect with a Launch Edition? Delaer made a big deal about it.
Thanks for any input and look forward to exchanging ideas on the forum.

·
Registered
225 Posts
So did they give you a discount or something after messing up your order?

Launch Edition is cool because it's limited edition so nobody else will be able to get one like that in the future.

GLC seems like a more practical vehicle than the GLA.

Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I sit in Texas we are still waiting. Supposedly waiting on the Launch Badges to arrive which they have now.
My first thought was waiting for a new bumber wrap due to an idiot on the ground. There went my filter!
Dealer is yanked as my car is holding up their delivery inventory they say.
I'll post pics when it arrives. Especially that elusive "badge"!
Really looking forward to the arrival.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service deal for a year. Free massages while they change the oil. ....yippee! I'd be happy with a cold beer or 3!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone figure out exactly what you get with the "Launch Edition"? I can't seem to find much information. There is one at a local dealership and I am going to check it out, it is a 4-matic with leather but doesn't have AMG package or upgraded sound system so it is not full loaded. I don't understand what extra you get with launch edition except a small badge on the side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Found the description of the Launch Edition on the Mercedes Ireland site and it's called the "Edition 1". Couldn't find the description on the U.S. site.

The AMG Line Exterior design and equipment line and the large multi-spoke AMG alloy wheels provide the base for an impressive entrance. Heat-insulating, dark-tinted glass for the rear side windows and rear windscreen and "Edition 1" badges round off the exterior in elegant fashion.

Edition 1 exterior equipment and appointments:

AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels painted titanium grey with high-sheen finish
AMG Line Exterior
"Edition 1‟ badge on left and right wing
Heat-insulating, dark-tinted glass for rear side windows and rear windscreen

There are two variants to choose between in the comfortable interior, which is equipped with seat heating, the Seat Comfort package and ambient lighting: the sporty option has seats in fine designo nappa leather in a platinum white pearl / black in diamond design, a multifunction sports steering wheel in black leather with flat bottom and black ash open-pore wood trim to add sporty, sophisticated highlights.

The eye-catching elegant alternative has upholstery in all black diamond-design designo nappa leather. The high-gloss brown linestructure lime wood trim and leather multifunction steering wheel round off the interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Edition 1 must be different from a Launch Edition. I looked at a Launch Edition, it was a 4-matic in Polar White and says Lanch Edition on the side but it does not have the AMG Sport package, it also didn't have the Burmeister stereo, list was around $52k so not fully loaded, it did have brown leather interior.

I was trying to figure out what is different about the the LE that a regular model, definitely different than the Ireland description.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi... Newbie here but not new to MB. Still driving my '96 MB E-320 and it's still going strong. I am doing research for my next car, narrow down to BMW X3 (because never owns a beamer) Lexus NX 300h (because I could get a great deal - employee discount price) or MB GLC 300 (if I knew it's reliable like my '96 E-320 then I would buy it in a heartbeat). Please share your thoughts. Regards

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi... Newbie here but not new to MB. Still driving my '96 MB E-320 and it's still going strong. I am doing research for my next car, narrow down to BMW X3 (because never owns a beamer) Lexus NX 300h (because I could get a great deal - employee discount price) or MB GLC 300 (if I knew it's reliable like my '96 E-320 then I would buy it in a heartbeat). Please share your thoughts. Regards
Glad to see we have a long time MB owner on the forum.

Have you had to do any big servicing outside of the regular scheduled maintenance and servicing schedule on your E-320?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad to see we have a long time MB owner on the forum.

Have you had to do any big servicing outside of the regular scheduled maintenance and servicing schedule on your E-320?
It has been a TANK , for 20 yrs ...

I have replaced a water pump one at 75K miles ($700? at a local independent shop whose specialty is in coolant and water pump service),
replaced all drive belts once,
I just replaced MAF sensor myself last yr at 140K miles, (very easy , done in 15 minutes)
changed spark plugs 3 times by a local mechanic whom I trust, (I will do this next time)
replace brake pads and rotors 2 times

One major issue was head gasket issue which was a poor designed by MB for this model , well known issue for this model... costed me $1800 (not cover a recall by MB)
The other major issue and well known for this 1996 E-320 was rusty "Spring Perch", Even though it's out of warranty MB covered this major issue ($2500-$3000) because there was a class action suit against MB (This problem has not been reported for later models)

Honestly, when I bought this MB, I NEVER thought it would be reliable, but so far it's more reliable than I thought... so I would not mind giving it another the chance (but in my head it says buy Lexus NX 300h ).

I change my own oil/filter (10K-12k with Mobil 1)... and any simple things that I think I could by watching Utube ... This '96 E-320 is RWD so I don't drive it during snow, IMPOSSIBLE , or I would do so at less than 30 mph around town

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not surprised to hear that feedback, MB's from that time have held up well and I even see some of them on the road with higher miles all in original condition, quite surprising. Making it even better, all, if not, most of the people driving them are enthusiasts and passionate about it

How much longer do you plan on keeping it for?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not surprised to hear that feedback, MB's from that time have held up well and I even see some of them on the road with higher miles all in original condition, quite surprising. Making it even better, all, if not, most of the people driving them are enthusiasts and passionate about it

How much longer do you plan on keeping it for?
Based on reviews of '96 E-320 owners, the In-line 6 of this car is the best Engine design by far (except the head gasket issue, of course). My challenge - as an lousy engineer - is to keep it as long as I could until it start to nickle and dime me. It has been a very low cost maintenance car so far :laugh:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the opportunity to get one of those but I ended up with a Lexus LS400 instead and very happy with it.
LS has been a great car, should be very reliable... as I said, my heart is saying MB GLC 300 but my head says NX 300h for its long term reliability. I also like the fact that I don't have to waste time for price negotiation, just bring in the "Employee Price" form from Lexus Corp to any Lexus dealer ... painless :laugh:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I do have to admit though, the styling MB has taken on is enough to take me away from Lexus.

Once i'm ready to get back into big sedans... although the new LS is nice, there's just nothing like the S-Class. Know a few people with S550 daily drivers and even those are awesome, never mind the S63.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts