Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would be strange considering we know there is an AMG GLE coming and there already is an AMG GLA...and an AMG C-class is SURELY in the deck. So why would Mercedes not build an AMG GLC?

They're probabaly playing it close to the chest in hopes of beating BMW to the punch with a super midrange SUV?

For exact engine, trim and pricing details we’ll have to wait a few weeks yet, but our prototype was fitted with a 208bhp 2.0-litre four-cyl turbo petrol engine. It’s expected that only four-cylinder diesel and petrol engines will be offered initially, with a plug-in petrol-electric hybrid to come. Zillmann also hinted that a GLC 450 AMG Sport with the same 362bhp twin-turbo V6 as the C 450 AMG Sport, and a more rear-biased four-wheel drive system is likely to follow in due course, although a full-fat V8-powered AMG variant is unlikely.
Mercedes GLC 250 first ride review | Auto Express

·
Registered
54 Posts
I read somewhere that Mercedes-Benz had regretted not offering a GLK AMG, and they were going to be sure to offer a GLC AMG in order to address that gap.

·
Registered
412 Posts
At this point it seems they want to offer an AMG anything, which makes me wonder if BMW is going to try catching up to that to some extent, they're already introducing models they never had.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point it seems they want to offer an AMG anything, which makes me wonder if BMW is going to try catching up to that to some extent, they're already introducing models they never had.
All three of them are doing it (MB, Audi, BMW) its become a feedback loop where the three of them are feeding one another. Each ultra niche is exploited by the remaining 2 because they can't let miniscule differences in sales volume stand!

Volume is the aim, no one seems to bwe talking about efficiency or margins or whatever...

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's what i've notice and it's been bringing on a lot of confusion, noticing a lot of people questioning if these are really needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All three of them are doing it (MB, Audi, BMW) its become a feedback loop where the three of them are feeding one another. Each ultra niche is exploited by the remaining 2 because they can't let miniscule differences in sales volume stand!

Volume is the aim, no one seems to bwe talking about efficiency or margins or whatever...
If it wasn't profitable, this feedback loop would stop. So clearly profitability must be the main driver as to why these models are offered.

And I don't mind because I'm all for more performance models of any stripe. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it wasn't profitable, this feedback loop would stop. So clearly profitability must be the main driver as to why these models are offered.

And I don't mind because I'm all for more performance models of any stripe. :)
of course its profitable if you're simply re purposing another vehicle into another, slash development costs and take advantage of scale. No one was questioning the profitability, but everyone should be questioning what it does to their equity as a brand.

Is a Mercedes still desirable when you see them as often as Toyotas? Think about that...

·
Registered
54 Posts
of course its profitable if you're simply re purposing another vehicle into another, slash development costs and take advantage of scale. No one was questioning the profitability, but everyone should be questioning what it does to their equity as a brand.

Is a Mercedes still desirable when you see them as often as Toyotas? Think about that...

I'd rather see some rare and interestingly styled GLC Coupe than a standard boring C-Class sedan, so I'm all for interesting variants...

·
Registered
225 Posts

They are focusing on volume right now though and I agree that that does do strange things to the brand's perception. When every 10th car on the road is a MB or a BMW, they don't seem quite as special any more.

Given Mercedes' recent strategy, I would be very surprised if there was not an AMG GLC. They are giving everything an AMG version. If the GLA gets one, then the GLC should get one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
But the good thing with a lot of benzes on the road, if you go high up enough the food chain you acquire the truly special MB`s, one`s not seen so often and when they are, they are STILL appreciated.

AMG`s still draw drools and double takes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think that an AMG version is going to happen. There is potential for it to be profitable, so why not? The trend is towards more performance options anyway, and the X4 has an M version, so Mercedes-Benz will want to compete with that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts