Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone's had anything similar to the following ... and if so, am looking at a potential failure in the future.

I had quite a scary journey home today. Genuinely thought my GLC was going to die on me.

In low gears, the the revs would be at 2-3k revs (normally between 1-2k for normal driving) so pretty much Sport+ type performance.
Up to 4th gear the changes were really severe and jerky too.

Yet once I got to around 55mph it would just stay stuck in 6th... with pretty much no power, even flooring it (no kick down).
After several seconds I could just about get it to creep up to 60, but no faster.

When I got to a steep hill, again it stayed stuck in 6th ... foot to the floor and engine revs and speed falling - thought it was going to conk out before it reached the top.
The little Fiat 500 in front of me left me for dead.
And I thought other cars were going to run into the back of me when the speed dropped to 40.

Couldn't activate manual changes to get me out of trouble. The paddles and the M button did nothing.

Was too scared to pull over and stop in case i couldn't start it again. Just wanted to get home!
No warning messages or lights on the dashboard.

Eventually got to within walking distance of a dealer and decided to risk it. (They could come rescue me if i was stuck)
Pulled over. Turned off the ignition. Waited a few secs. Started her up again.... all now ok. Silky smooth and powerful again.

Service due in a few weeks, I'll mention it but doubt they'll find anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My GLC 250d did something similar a few weeks ago. Mine too was due a service and a sensor failed on the accelerator pedal and put it into limp home mode with no power, kick down or manual gear changes. MB replaced the full accelerator pedal and did the service at the same time and had the car for a day in the garage.

Prior to getting the GLC I had an A45 and that also did something similar to what you have described. On the 45 it turned out to be a sensor for the turbo boost pressure which was a simple 2 min job to replace, but annoyingly it used to do this every 5-6 months until MB brought out a new improved part and it never did it again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. It gives me something to go on and I'll definitely mention it when I book it in and suggest that.

Only difference is that mine definitely wasn't in limp home mode.
In low gears the acceleration was ferocious as the revs were constantly high... Similar to being in Sport+.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts