Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Am currently looking at second hand GLCs and one of the things I am obsessing about - which I probably shouldn't be - is the COMAND/Audio side of things. I'm a geek coming from a 2009 Audi Q5 which has a basic multimedia setup.

Assuming I find a GLC with the Premium Plus pack, some basic questions if I may...

-- Is there a USB port for me to plug my iPhone into so I can select music from the COMAND system? Where is it located?

-- Can it stream music over BT without intermittent skips and gaps?

-- Can I search for music on Spotify over the COMAND system?

-- Does the DAB radio piggy back off your phone's internet connection?

-- Whats the standard hard drive capacity and how do you load music onto it? Via USB transfer?

-- Can the system play FLAC or AIFF files?

-- How well integrated is Apple's Siri in the car? For example, if I say "Hey siri" will it cut the music and let Siri take my command, i.e.: call mum?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
467 Posts
Being a technology neanderthal I know very little about iPhones apart from they are supposed to be very good and packed with lots of wifis and geebees :D. I usually deflect questions of this ilk by mentioning that the GLC does NOT have Apple Carplay. The ensuing foaming at the mouth and multi-page rants is usually enough to deflect from my ignorance. I'm sure somebody's child will be along shortly to fully address your questions but here's what I know:

- There's a couple of USB ports located under the centre console armrest. I would guess the contents of your iPhone would show up as an external drive.

- My Sony Xperia will stream music via Blutooth when paired with the car. No skipping or gaps in the music has been noted.

- I only have a vague awareness that Spotify may be an internet-based music streaming service and when it comes to cars people start talking about tethering.

- Doesn't the GLC come with a DAB radio? I've only had the radio on once and it took 3 weeks to switch it off!

- It has a 10Gb music register and you load it up via the USB ports in the armrest using the menu available when you are in Media mode.

- I don't think the car's player reads FLAC or AIFF files but I have HiRes Sound on the Xperia so it reads the files and they play on the Burmester via Blutooth.

- I think Siri has a strop with the GLC but after much wailing and gnashing of teeth things can be made to happen.

You can download the 222 page COMAND manual in PDF format from the MB USA site. Some things, like their weird satellite radio facility, won't be relevant but a lot of the other information will be:

USA Owners Manual for COMAND interface

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a technology neanderthal I know very little about iPhones apart from they are supposed to be very good and packed with lots of wifis and geebees :D. I usually deflect questions of this ilk by mentioning that the GLC does NOT have Apple Carplay. The ensuing foaming at the mouth and multi-page rants is usually enough to deflect from my ignorance. I'm sure somebody's child will be along shortly to fully address your questions but here's what I know:

- There's a couple of USB ports located under the centre console armrest. I would guess the contents of your iPhone would show up as an external drive.

- My Sony Xperia will stream music via Blutooth when paired with the car. No skipping or gaps in the music has been noted.

- I only have a vague awareness that Spotify may be an internet-based music streaming service and when it comes to cars people start talking about tethering.

- Doesn't the GLC come with a DAB radio? I've only had the radio on once and it took 3 weeks to switch it off!

- It has a 10Gb music register and you load it up via the USB ports in the armrest using the menu available when you are in Media mode.

- I don't think the car's player reads FLAC or AIFF files but I have HiRes Sound on the Xperia so it reads the files and they play on the Burmester via Blutooth.

- I think Siri has a strop with the GLC but after much wailing and gnashing of teeth things can be made to happen.

You can download the 222 page COMAND manual in PDF format from the MB USA site. Some things, like their weird satellite radio facility, won't be relevant but a lot of the other information will be:

Thanks for your super helpful post!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus, my wife an iPhone 7, my eldest daughter an iPhone 6 Plus. In addition my niece also plugged in her Samsung Galaxy something, and as she lost it I gave her my old iPhone 5. All of them have been used with the car.

Hi guys

Am currently looking at second hand GLCs and one of the things I am obsessing about - which I probably shouldn't be - is the COMAND/Audio side of things. I'm a geek coming from a 2009 Audi Q5 which has a basic multimedia setup.

Assuming I find a GLC with the Premium Plus pack, some basic questions if I may...

-- Is there a USB port for me to plug my iPhone into so I can select music from the COMAND system? Where is it located?
2 sockets in the middle arm rest console. I tend to leave one of my apple usb->lightning cables connected in there. And it is the place I leave my phone, on charge and out of sight.

-- Can it stream music over BT without intermittent skips and gaps?
Yes, but .....

Don't forget that BT is a wireless protocol, as such there can be interference. Further more depending on how you have music on your phone, e.g. if you use Apple Music not all may be downloaded and thus when in areas of low signal there could be issues. Nothing to do with command, just inherent to the technology and storage of music.

-- Can I search for music on Spotify over the COMAND system?
I don't use Spotify so I don't know how it stores it. I understand that it depends on your subscription level. But basically if the music is stored locally it might, if it isn't it won't. One of the reasons I use Apple Music as it will make it look like it is locally even though the phone may need to stream it remotely.

-- Does the DAB radio piggy back off your phone's internet connection?
NO, DAB radio is a broadcast technology. It will use the aerials in the windscreen.

-- Whats the standard hard drive capacity and how do you load music onto it? Via USB transfer?
Pass, well I know it can read CDs and store it locally. I've done that once because I could in the GLS. I still haven't found the use case for it when one has a mobile phone with much larger and more update capacity.

-- Can the system play FLAC or AIFF files?
Pass - either way the stereo sound quality is just not good enough to appreciate that in my opinion. The theory is nice but with Apple Music downloading in 320Meg quality I'd say that is much easier and sufficient for the vehicle. What is even better is the AMG engine soundtrack :)

-- How well integrated is Apple's Siri in the car? For example, if I say "Hey siri" will it cut the music and let Siri take my command, i.e.: call mum?

Cheers in advance
You can just hold the voice button on the steering wheel for about three seconds and Siri will get activated. So good integration. However, I find the lingautronic system in the GLC is better suited to the car unless perhaps you want to dictate a text message to Siri to send or read out the last text message. But yet you can activate without touching the phone. I did that yesterday.

Other things to keep in mine, the integration with Mercedes Me with the mobile phone is really good as well. You can lock/unlock, send address for the satnav, it will keep a log of where it was parked, will automatically switch to walking directions for you car etc....Further more the SatNav will use your mobile phone data channel for uptodate and instant traffic information. In my experience just as good as Waze. In addition it can also update your maps in the car. I noticed all new roads in my area are already on it. Really impressive.

I did find that the Burmester system required running in, it is way to tight and closed when new. Further more I also found it requires tone control settings. I normal have my systems Neutral but I found the Burmester way to flat compared to the Harmon Kardon I had in the GLS. But once you've done a couple of thousand miles with music it will open up nicely. It is sounding fantastic now.

I went to listen to some speakers for the lounge on Friday and I was listening to a strange mixture of Ed Sheeran's new album Divide, a bit of Pantera, but then also the deep bass tones of J Hus before switching to the grime speed and vocals of Stormzy. It handled it all beautifully now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus, my wife an iPhone 7, my eldest daughter an iPhone 6 Plus. In addition my niece also plugged in her Samsung Galaxy something, and as she lost it I gave her my old iPhone 5. All of them have been used with the car.

2 sockets in the middle arm rest console. I tend to leave one of my apple usb->lightning cables connected in there. And it is the place I leave my phone, on charge and out of sight.

Yes, but .....

Don't forget that BT is a wireless protocol, as such there can be interference. Further more depending on how you have music on your phone, e.g. if you use Apple Music not all may be downloaded and thus when in areas of low signal there could be issues. Nothing to do with command, just inherent to the technology and storage of music.

I don't use Spotify so I don't know how it stores it. I understand that it depends on your subscription level. But basically if the music is stored locally it might, if it isn't it won't. One of the reasons I use Apple Music as it will make it look like it is locally even though the phone may need to stream it remotely.

NO, DAB radio is a broadcast technology. It will use the aerials in the windscreen.

Pass, well I know it can read CDs and store it locally. I've done that once because I could in the GLS. I still haven't found the use case for it when one has a mobile phone with much larger and more update capacity.

Pass - either way the stereo sound quality is just not good enough to appreciate that in my opinion. The theory is nice but with Apple Music downloading in 320Meg quality I'd say that is much easier and sufficient for the vehicle. What is even better is the AMG engine soundtrack :)

You can just hold the voice button on the steering wheel for about three seconds and Siri will get activated. So good integration. However, I find the lingautronic system in the GLC is better suited to the car unless perhaps you want to dictate a text message to Siri to send or read out the last text message. But yet you can activate without touching the phone. I did that yesterday.

Other things to keep in mine, the integration with Mercedes Me with the mobile phone is really good as well. You can lock/unlock, send address for the satnav, it will keep a log of where it was parked, will automatically switch to walking directions for you car etc....Further more the SatNav will use your mobile phone data channel for uptodate and instant traffic information. In my experience just as good as Waze. In addition it can also update your maps in the car. I noticed all new roads in my area are already on it. Really impressive.

I did find that the Burmester system required running in, it is way to tight and closed when new. Further more I also found it requires tone control settings. I normal have my systems Neutral but I found the Burmester way to flat compared to the Harmon Kardon I had in the GLS. But once you've done a couple of thousand miles with music it will open up nicely. It is sounding fantastic now.

I went to listen to some speakers for the lounge on Friday and I was listening to a strange mixture of Ed Sheeran's new album Divide, a bit of Pantera, but then also the deep bass tones of J Hus before switching to the grime speed and vocals of Stormzy. It handled it all beautifully now.
What a great response - thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As for playing Spotify music in the car and search Spotify music for playback, the best way could be to convert Spotify music as a local file with the help of AudFree Spotify Converter and then transfer them to USB flash drive to access to them via car audio system.
No need to carry a phone and use phone data but still to listen to Spotify music when driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts