Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Red Ken was parked up for the night and all was well. The next morning he fires up fine but decides to add the engine warning light to the items being permanently displayed on the dash. I pushed the Spanner button up near the rear view mirror, telematics were duly extracted and transferred to mission control and eventually an operator greeted me by name. I had visions of boffins with handlebar moustaches back in Stuttgart meticulously diagnosing the fault. Years of bleeding edge automotive technical innovation was then pooled to inform me I should go and ask my Dealer why the light was on.

I duly set off but in my paranoia I was convinced I could hear metal components grinding themselves into oblivion and was now within nanoseconds of grenading the engine. But 40 miles later we arrived with the engine still intact. It turns out one of the 3 nitrogen oxide sensors installed in the Greta Thunberg side of thing had failed. Nothing was actually wrong but a sensor that monitors when something has gone wrong with the Exhaust Gas Recovery system had itself packed up. Realising replacement would attract a fairly substantial labour charge due accessibility, I resigned myself to a bill well into three figures.

And then I had the lightbulb moment. Mercedes had been caught out with their "pseudo-woke" emissions defeat software and last April Ken had been recalled to have it removed in an update referred to as SRPC1838. A certificate had been issued which warranted the EGR system against fault for a further 2 years. So in the end my engine warning light was extinguished for my favourite price - FREE :D

I would advise anybody with a car older than 3 years and seeing a warning light to lead with a claim against the EGR warranty. Diagnosis may may show it is an unrelated fault but it has to be worth a punt. Here's the recall notice:

·
Registered
5 Posts
So Red Ken was parked up for the night and all was well. The next morning he fires up fine but decides to add the engine warning light to the items being permanently displayed on the dash. I pushed the Spanner button up near the rear view mirror, telematics were duly extracted and transferred to mission control and eventually an operator greeted me by name. I had visions of boffins with handlebar moustaches back in Stuttgart meticulously diagnosing the fault. Years of bleeding edge automotive technical innovation was then pooled to inform me I should go and ask my Dealer why the light was on.

I duly set off but in my paranoia I was convinced I could hear metal components grinding themselves into oblivion and was now within nanoseconds of grenading the engine. But 40 miles later we arrived with the engine still intact. It turns out one of the 3 nitrogen oxide sensors installed in the Greta Thunberg side of thing had failed. Nothing was actually wrong but a sensor that monitors when something has gone wrong with the Exhaust Gas Recovery system had itself packed up. Realising replacement would attract a fairly substantial labour charge due accessibility, I resigned myself to a bill well into three figures.

And then I had the lightbulb moment. Mercedes had been caught out with their "pseudo-woke" emissions defeat software and last April Ken had been recalled to have it removed in an update referred to as SRPC1838. A certificate had been issued which warranted the EGR system against fault for a further 2 years. So in the end my engine warning light was extinguished for my favourite price - FREE :D

I would advise anybody with a car older than 3 years and seeing a warning light to lead with a claim against the EGR warranty. Diagnosis may may show it is an unrelated fault but it has to be worth a punt. Here's the recall notice:

Hi

we bought a November 2016 glc last March, the orange engine management light came on today, do you think Mercedes would fix ours for free? Who did you contact to sort out your issue...ps. The check brake pads light came on too, I’m picking up the pads tomorrow.

thanks

Dermot

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your local Mercedes dealer can access the car's digital service record. This will tell them if or when update SRPC 1838 was implemented. You have 2 years from that date to request a repair under the warranty assuming that warranty transfers with ownership of the car. Hope it works out for you, that warning notice on the dash is an immediate MOT fail. If you have to pay for a replacement sensor an MB dealer would want to charge you north of £500. It would be worth getting a quote from an independent garage where you are not being charged for the 'free' filter coffee and carrot cake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm having the Nox 2 Sensor issue, I've been waiting 5 weeks for my part from Mercedes and I've not been able to drive my car :( They've said it could be months of a wait.

Does anyone know the new part number for the updated Nox 2 Sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I'm having the Nox 2 Sensor issue, I've been waiting 5 weeks for my part from Mercedes and I've not been able to drive my car :( They've said it could be months of a wait.

Did the dealership say u cannot drive ? As I now have same faulty nox sensor on my c200 petrol and they have said it’s okay to drive until then and so have other garages Said the same .
I’m rather puzzled now

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Did the dealership say u cannot drive ? As I now have same faulty nox sensor on my c200 petrol and they have said it’s okay to drive until then and so have other garages Said the same .
I’m rather puzzled now
I think it may be because yours is a Petrol, mines a diesel and it’s got a count down on the dashboard, I’m down to 45 miles left and it says if it reaches 0 miles, the car will no longer start :(
Also says it needs Ad-blue but it must be down to the sensor not working because I’ve put 20 litres in it.

The dealer told me to only drive it to them when they get the part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My nox sensor failed while on a weekend away called Mercedes rescue who duly came to me quite promptly diagnostic test diagnosed nox sensor failure . Mechanic said the GLC diesel was ok to drive home but book it at your garage
I had to wait two weeks for another diagnostic test which found the same as the rescue mechanic I was told it would be £90 for the test
The workshop manager came out to tell me what the problem was and said Mercedes would foot the bill and he would get them to pay for the test and it was ok to drive the car which I have been doing for a couple of weeks he did say there was a problem with getting the sensor my only other worry is my MOT is due in June will it pass if I haven’t had the car fixed I think I’ll put it in the Mercedes dealer and let them sort it out

·
Registered
4 Posts
My nox sensor failed while on a weekend away called Mercedes rescue who duly came to me quite promptly diagnostic test diagnosed nox sensor failure . Mechanic said the GLC diesel was ok to drive home but book it at your garage
I had to wait two weeks for another diagnostic test which found the same as the rescue mechanic I was told it would be £90 for the test
The workshop manager came out to tell me what the problem was and said Mercedes would foot the bill and he would get them to pay for the test and it was ok to drive the car which I have been doing for a couple of weeks he did say there was a problem with getting the sensor my only other worry is my MOT is due in June will it pass if I haven’t had the car fixed I think I’ll put it in the Mercedes dealer and let them sort it out
Hi, I have a Merc petrol and have been waiting for a nox downstream sensor for weeks. Explained to the MOT guy on the backlog order and it was passed on the basis it was road worthy. As long as you can prove it’s a Nox sensor , which I did by taking a screenshot on my phone whilst they did the diagnostics. That should do it .
Again this is my experience l.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have a Merc petrol and have been waiting for a nox downstream sensor for weeks. Explained to the MOT guy on the backlog order and it was passed on the basis it was road worthy. As long as you can prove it’s a Nox sensor , which I did by taking a screenshot on my phone whilst they did the diagnostics. That should do it .
Again this is my experience l.
Thanks for your helpful reply I will book it in with my local Mercedes dealer for the mot and it will be due for a service then and they know about the nox sensor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well done! Im still waiting. how long have you waited for ? Who is your local MB? Just curious
My local dealer is Mercedes Bishops Stortford. The NOX sensor failed at the end of last month had to wait 10 days to get a diagnostic test. I’ve been driving the car, 250 glc I haven’t had any adverse affects except for the engine management light being on

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well done. It’s been a month already and still no update from my local dealership.
I will chase them up on Monday.
I’ve too been driving around with EML on .
GLC went in on Friday 28th to have the NOX sensor changed waited at Mercedes dealership while they did the work
took about an hour including a valet,, all seems well🤞

·
Registered
GLC 220d 2016
1 Posts
I’ve just buy my one last November with 40k
Last month I’ve drive it from London to Plymouth catch the ferry and when I was leaving Santander on my way to Portugal the engine light comes on just like that no misfire no nothing just the light on. When I’ve arrived in Portugal I visited a workshop near town (the owner was an ex Mercedes Engenier) he plugged in the computer and told me that was the back Nox sensor sending a error. So he switched off the light and run a reset on the sensor values. Paid €20
Drive back till now no more errors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, are you guys getting this replaced as a "good will"? My GLC is out of warranty and I stopped the Merc service plan last year....but form this fourm it seems a common problem, have i got a chance or am I going to get stung?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 66 plate 250glc diesel. Just over a year ago, my eml came on, had it checked and a Nox sensor was duly replaced by my local dealership Arnold Clark, Aberdeen. I was not charged for this as Mercedes paid. A couple of weeks ago, my eml came on again. I bought a topdon artilink 400 which diagnosed the problem as scr Nox catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1 catalyst 1. Looks like the Nox sensor has gone again. I phoned Arnold Clark, and told them my eml was on but I did not mention doing a check on it myself. Result the first they could check my car was 2nd September, and take it from there. Price quoted £156, for check and first hour labour, then more to follow when fault established and if more work or parts were required.. I enquired about driving the vehicle with the light on, I was assured it would be ok unless other warnings came on, then contact Mercedes. Trouble is I’m going on holiday next week to west coast of Scotland return journey just over 300 miles, and in July travelling to Cornwall, return journey 1300 miles. Don’t know how dealership can leave people in situation like this.
I just wonder how many Mercedes vehicles are driving about with their eml on. Pretty poor for that brand of car, should have just replaced my CRV with a new one. I enquired about who would have to pay if the sensor was faulty and had to be replaced, but the receptionist was non comital, saying Mercedes
paid some completely and varying percentages of others, depending on goodwill etc. Anyway I’ll continue to use the vehicle as little as possible, but that’s not why you spend shedloads of cash on an upmarket car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi we bought a November 2016 glc last March, the orange engine management light came on today, do you think Mercedes would fix ours for free? Who did you contact to sort out your issue...ps. The check brake pads light came on too, I’m picking up the pads tomorrow. thanks Dermot
I bought same car month ago management light came on 2 weeks ago glad I took extra warranty so much sensors in this type Mercedes’ , was no 2 Nox sensor still waiting it s coming from Germany back order comon fault

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

00090582411 that’s the no 2 Nox sensor am waiting on as well that’s the part no from Mercedes’ I got

1 - 19 of 19 Posts