Mercedes GLC Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Afraid you are out of luck with a C43 - different steering geometry and NO FIX 馃槚

I would suggest Lower tyre pressure - it鈥檚 the Stiffness of the tread that exaggerates the Crabbing & Skipping

Here if the UK MB recommend All Season - Winter tyres that are softer compounds and more flexible, Masking - Hiding the fault

These tyres plus replacement knuckles - Long struts behind each front wheel - significantly reduce the Crabbing & Skipping. But it鈥檚 still evident and increases as the tyres wear and become less flexible

Our 250d has replacement knuckles but still Shreds the inner edges of the All Season tyres

Over 7 years since MB launched the GLC here in the UK, and shocking that they still sell Faulty C43 AMG with NO FIX. They get away with this because the AMG C43 is the Sport version and other cars such as Porsche suffer from this behaviour. MB had to offer a Fix for non-AMG - Family SUV versions

Lovely car in the summer 馃槑

Good luck and please let us know how you get on with MB Australia
Sorry you must of mis read my last comment, I have a GLC 43.

But I will keep you all posted with how I go with MB Aus.

Its such a let down, Should of went the BMW X4-X3 :)

Registered
GLC 220d AMG Line Premium SUV Auto (Sept 2019)
Hi Tony Mac & others,

Wondered if you may be able to help? I've just bought (in Jan 2023) a GLC 220d AMG Line Premium SUV (reg date Sept 2019) with 16,000 miles on it, 20" alloy run-flat wheels, from a MB UK main dealer and had it for a few days, and the front wheel juddering happens every time I go in & out of my drive, given it is a 90degree angle entry/exit point, so I have to do full turns to get in and out. I've also parked at supermarket car park spaces in the last few days, and the same juddering happens on full turns too.

I'm trying to find out on the forum whether my 200d should not have this problem, given it is a newer SUV, built in Sept19? I cant seem to find the answer, I am 'assuming' it should only have affected SUVs built before 2018? If mine shouldn't be affected by the problems everyone else has with older models, this is even more of a worry...... :unsure:

Any thoughts/advice, as I am going to the dealer next week to speak to them. They never mentioned anything to me about the GLC steering issues, they obviously just wanted to make a sale! It's a used car with a 12mth MB warranty, so I can still hand it back to them within 14days I think for a full refund

Cheers, James (lives in UK)

Registered
Hi James,

I can鈥檛 be totally sure of which year GLC鈥檚 MB were fitting the replacement Knuckles - I thought it was Pre 2019 cars

The MB Service Dept should be able to provide more information - sales people change like the weather and unlikely to know, or care about this issue.

The Crabbing, Juddering & Clonking is truly AWFUL + gets worse as the tyres wear. After paying 拢50k for our GLC, I would literally feel sick and embarrassed when this fault surfaced.

Great car apart from this issue - had ours for 7 years and 50k miles. Currently looking to replace it

Please let us know how you get on

Tony

Registered
Hi Tony - yes, will do as it will help others too hopefully. Not expecting much, but at least with the info from these message boards I'm better informed.

Registered
My GLC was built in March 2019 and had the modified steering knuckles, never had an issue with crabbing. Best to check the build date of your car rather than registration date, believe the crabbing fix came out sometime around September 2018.

Registered
Thanks Stubax, thats great and I didnt think about that - I will find out build date then (y)

Registered
Update to post #23

Went to the MB dealer armed with info from here, and on their system it shows my car def has the new knuckles on there (a Sept 2019 GLC220d AMG Line Premium). Whilst that is great, one major question - why is it still juddering on full-lock then, surely that is a worse situation than having an older GLC, as it shouldn't be doing it AT ALL. It judders on full lock in either direction, both forward and in reverse. One of the service team took the car out and confirmed it does judder, so at least they are admitting it.

It has 20" Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tyres on all four wheels, and the MB dealer said they will replace the tyres and put something else on, they say its to do with the tyres and not the knuckle...... Any thoughts on this?

Also, what are the best tyres I should have put on the GLC220d in your opinion, the garage might choose something to suit them as opposed to me. What 20" tyres is everyone else running that you are really happy with, and last forever!

Cheers, James

Registered
Our dealer fitted new knuckles and Goodyear Eagle All Season tyres under warranty.

They wanted to fit Winter tyres but these would need swapping and storing every year - not acceptable.

As the tyres wear the flexibility reduces, resulting in more noticeable Juddering.

The replacement knuckles & tyres do a pretty good job of masking the fault on our GLC - but I can still feel it at times 馃槩

Good luck - totally different car in the summer

Registered
OK Tony, thanks. Thats interesting....so you still feel it at times, even with the knuckles having been replaced - I thought the new knuckles were supposed to resolve the issue completely? Yes, love the car apart from this issue too.

Have you still got your GLC then, I thought you had sold it having read previous posts :unsure:

Registered
Once you鈥檝e experienced the Awful Juddering I think you get very sensitive to it - even the slightest movement is felt through the steering wheel.

Trading ours in tomorrow afternoon for a new Maserati Grecale Modena馃

Registered
Agree, we've only had it a week but very aware of it on every journey now. This isnt how I was expecting to enjoy my new [used] car, it knocks the shine off everything else I like about it.

Best of luck with the Maserati (y)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts