Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. Lots of valuable information available here!

I purchased a GLC at an auction which has had an AMG conversion.

Glad (if you can call it that) to know the knuckle or crabbing is a 'normal' thing. I was worried there was something seriously wrong with the suspension on my car or maybe the 21" 63 alloys were incompatible with the car. Will be on the phone to Merc in the morning with this one.

It seems whoever did this conversion, replaced the rear bumper with one that doesn't have the towbar cut out in it. There is a button in the boot and when I press it, I do hear a motor and the towbar does indeed press down on the bumper before retracting again due to obstruction.

I've looked at photos of second hand bumpers on Ebay with the hole and it does appear like it literally is just a hole cut out of the normal bumper. If this is the case then I may just use a dremel to cut out a hole to size and get it resprayed since it is going to be going into a bodyshop anyway.

What I would really love from one of you amazing people is a rough drawing of the shape of the hole I would need to make along with dimensions. And of course if you could advise if it REALLY is possible to do this or is the towbar compatible bumper moulded - such as tapered/raised edge or rim etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'll have a look at mine this morning and get back to you

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK

That raises a few questions.

Does your car have 2 towbar switches, one lower drivers door and 2nd nearside tailgate ( oposite side to the lower and lock switches. If so then it's a factory fit as I don't think the dealers retrofit though I may be wrong.

Again if so I can think of only two possibilities, The car bumper has been replaced following a shunt or the cut out is there but out of alignment and towbar catches.

Easy to make the cut out yourself if none there as it's just 3mm plastic just cut carefully and finish off with a file, check first that there isn't a cut line marked, sometimes a moulded indent.
Does your car have keyless i.e. foot wave boot access in which case you'll need to be VERY careful not to cut the sensor wire behind the bumper.

The edge of the cut on my factory fit bumper is smooth so probably a special moulded part and is just a square cut however it's very difficult to measure accurately as you can see from the shape, the largest measutement is 470 mm.

What I suggest you do is get underneath and have someone operate the switch so you can see where it catches and just cut a little at a time until it works, you can see how far mine extends and the cut part is not visible unless to get down on hands and knees.

It's a 2017 250d AMG Line btw and my foot wave facility works whether the towbar is deployed or not.

Hope that's of help
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bud that is definitely helpful.

It must be factory fitted as yes there is a button on the door as well as in the boot so the rear bumper has been replaced at some point. The alloys have been upgraded along with some other body bods so that will have been part of the conversion.

No idea if it has the foot sensor though. If it was there its been covered up now. Can you see it on yours?

Don't want to hassle you again but if you could take a vid of it coming out that would be awesome :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep no probs but will be tomorrow as it's chucking down and getting dark now.
I don't know if you can post videos on here but if not you can give me your email and can send that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that. It should allow a zip file so you could do it that way but if that fails upload/email.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for posting Pictures
It was a welcome sigh of relief seeing the factory cut out in relation to mine
I had aftermarket detachable fitting and the cut out is very similar, leading me to believe there must be a raised profile on the inside to allow contour for cut out

·
Registered
259 Posts
Zap263
I've taken the video a couple of times on my iphone and for the life of me can't get the **** video on to my pc so I can upload it to the forum. It plays without problem and I've tried various programs to transfer or convert without success.
I'm busy at the minute and struggling for time to faff about but I'll send you a pm with my mob number so you can text me with your details if you want to and I should I think be able to forward it via whatsapp if you have that.

cheers
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts