Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep the country will now officially grind to a halt, we've had snow not far from London..

I did look on Mercedes Me app, can't find the "Clear Snow" button anywhere :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: MERC

·
Registered
467 Posts
There was 8 inches of the white stuff on ground first thing this morning and I had to doa 26-mile round trip into Hereford. There is a red button behind a flap on the overhead console which I'm told summons the Mercedes concierge service. Apparently a butler sporting lederhosen turns up, loads your GLC on to a flatbed transporter and will delivery you to your required destination. I believe sauerkraut sandwiches and Liebfraumilch are served during the journey.

It was only because I had sprung for the Off-road Engineering package and Air Body Control that I thought I should perhaps drive myself. So I selected "Slippery" and a car with a snowflake appeared on the screen. At the end of the drive is a steep slope down to the road but Red Ken slowly descended without drama thanks to me hitting the Downhill Speed Regulation button. The A465 into Hereford was still unploughed yet I could make progress at 40 mph without the hint of twitchiness. Perhaps I have my all-season tyres to thank for some of that. All-in-all I was hugely impressed with Kens performance. In Hereford there were abandoned 2WD cars everywhere and even the gentlest of inclines were defeating them. My face muscles were aching from maintaining a smug expression as I sauntered past numerous floundering BMW saloons.

Reactions: gb93616

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Good to hear Toobad, no snow down here but wouldn't fancy it in the 43, could be entertaining.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 43 handled it amazingly. Drove back from Hertforshire to Essex and saw loads of cars stuck but this thing guzzled up the road and snow with no issues at all. It did skip quite a bit going round corners but no sliding....didn't dare give the accelerator a stiff foot but in eco, it was great.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thank God for Slippery Mode and Downhill Speed Regulation

Here's my driveway entrance. I'm so impressed by the way Red Ken takes it all in his stride. That Off-Road Engineering package is so worth it. If the snow gets any deeper I'll be testing the extra underbody reinforcement that's also included in the package. It's going down to -11C here tonight so tomorrow I test Ken's performance on pack ice. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Good to hear about the 43 JITP.

Toobad, hope the snow clears by July when I head to Ross for a weeks fishing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So with the outside temperature reading -13.2C, all schools closed and local radio insisting only absolutely essential journeys should be attempted, there was only one thing to do - head off to the highest pass in the Brecon Beacons. The gritters and snowploughs had done a good job overnight and the lower roads in the National Park were fairly passable. Eventually I reached the Road Closed sign which in my head got translated as "4MATIC vehicles only". All I can say is Red Ken conducted himself with aplomb. Here's a pic of his Sir Edmund Hillary moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep the country will now officially grind to a halt, we've had snow not far from London..

I did look on Mercedes Me app, can't find the "Clear Snow" button anywhere :grin2:
LOL :D

Didn't know that you guys have a lot of snow there... How is your car working out with it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So with the outside temperature reading -13.2C, all schools closed and local radio insisting only absolutely essential journeys should be attempted, there was only one thing to do - head off to the highest pass in the Brecon Beacons. The gritters and snowploughs had done a good job overnight and the lower roads in the National Park were fairly passable. Eventually I reached the Road Closed sign which in my head got translated as "4MATIC vehicles only". All I can say is Red Ken conducted himself with aplomb. Here's a pic of his Sir Edmund Hillary moment.
Did you reach the summit with a jet wash and polishing cloth? :grin2: Red Ken looks cleaner than mine even after I've cleaned it haha...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL :D

Didn't know that you guys have a lot of snow there... How is your car working out with it?
More likely to get snow the further north you go. I've not seen snow for a few years as far as I can remember.
The car behaves very well indeed, even with summer tyres fitted - but then I'm comparing with my previous car which was a front wheel drive Audi A6.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Did you reach the summit with a jet wash and polishing cloth? :grin2: Red Ken looks cleaner than mine even after I've cleaned it haha...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Actually most of the crud on the road was still frozen since the summit attempt was made with the temperature still well below zero. I'm also a bit of a detailing freak so both the paintwork, wheels and the trim are always covered with very hydrophobic coatings so nothing much sticks to Ken.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I will be cleaning mine in April- NOT looking forward to it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So that's once a year, whether it needs it or not! :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
No Toobad, it's about 4 times a year but not in the winter, even though I get it done at local garage.

Used to have my discovery sport cleaned a lot, only because it was back and forwards to dealers and received a courtesy wash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts