Mercedes GLC Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Keen to buy a GLC but get the right one - I drive very few miles, I’m edging toward a newer petrol model as diesel seems to be less in favour these days and I’m trying to look a little long term on this one..!

Few thoughts.. have MB fixed the crabbing issue on the later models...? Also I notice some cars have navigation controlled with a wheel some have a track pad - is this on later cars or a different system..? Any help / thoughts would be appreciated...!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, MB have fixed the crabbing issue on all models except the 43/63 AMG variants. With these it continues to be a non-safety related 'characteristic'. The navigation control wheel was dropped during the mid-cycle refresh leaving just the trackpad for control although I believe extra functionality was added to the steering wheel to compensate.

I agree that diesels are now seen as the pariahs of the car world and Greta Thunbergs "woke" generation will throw stones at the car as you pass by. If you are not in a particular hurry to get into a GLC you may want to consider holding off for another year. Around this time next year you will be able to order the 2022 model year which will be a whole new car. It will be slightly longer and lower and probably offer a 7-seat option. The EQ Boost option will be offered with both diesel and petrol engines giving you around a 30-mile range on the 48V electric motor, ideal for somebody who does short journeys. A lot of the technology from this year's new S-Class will filter down with a fully digital dash and improved MBUX system. The car will also have the ability for Level 3 Autonomy assuming the Government alters legislation to allow it as they have indicated they will. Here's an artists render of what the new GLC will possibly look like:

The 2022 GLC (probably)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, MB have fixed the crabbing issue on all models except the 43/63 AMG variants. With these it continues to be a non-safety related 'characteristic'. The navigation control wheel was dropped during the mid-cycle refresh leaving just the trackpad for control although I believe extra functionality was added to the steering wheel to compensate.

I agree that diesels are now seen as the pariahs of the car world and Greta Thunbergs "woke" generation will throw stones at the car as you pass by. If you are not in a particular hurry to get into a GLC you may want to consider holding off for another year. Around this time next year you will be able to order the 2022 model year which will be a whole new car. It will be slightly longer and lower and probably offer a 7-seat option. The EQ Boost option will be offered with both diesel and petrol engines giving you around a 30-mile range on the 48V electric motor, ideal for somebody who does short journeys. A lot of the technology from this year's new S-Class will filter down with a fully digital dash and improved MBUX system. The car will also have the ability for Level 3 Autonomy assuming the Government alters legislation to allow it as they have indicated they will. Here's an artists render of what the new GLC will possibly look like:

The 2022 GLC (probably)
Hi

Thank you for such a detailed reply and for answering my concerns - unfortunately I need to update now otherwise I would have taken your advice and waited. Perhaps I’m better off going for a last of the pre-face lift (pre 2018..?) model avoiding the 43 / 63 - as an interim car and then see how the land lies after a few years on the new GLC. (Assuming these will have been recalled and crabbing fixed..?)! What do you think..? or is the newer facelift model a better option still..?

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 point to note is the road tax costs, a lot of the cars are subject to the premium car road tax due to having a list price of over £40000. For this reason I got a Sport model as it was just under the threshold, dont think there is a model available now under £40000 list even though there are some good discounts available. The crabbing issue is sorted for cars built after Sept 18, except for the AMG 43/63 models, many earlier cars have had the modification fitted under warranty. I had been a diesel driver for years but went for the 250 petrol as I no longer do enough miles for a diesel, get 30 mpg locally, 36 on a run. Having had numerous c classes have to say I quite like my GLC, very quiet and comfortable. As with all things do your research.

·
Registered
492 Posts
IIRC cars coming out of the factory from Autumn 2018 were fitted with the modified steering knuckles which greatly helped to alleviate the crabbing phenomenon. If you do decide to buy an earlier car then its digital service record would show if it has had the knuckles retrofitted. If not, I would certainly make it a condition of purchase. Having smaller rim diameters and all-season tyres also go a long way to improve any residual judder from the steering. I don't think the mid-cycle refresh model did much more than add an external facelift and revamp the interior with a larger infotainment screen and MBUX functionality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Diesel would be a poor choice if you don't do long distance driving.

I got an MY20 and am very happy with the GLC 300. Noticeably more powerful than the 250 was and the MBUX is a better UI than Comand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts