Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I own a 2016 glc 250. Firstly, does anyone know what comand version it would be running? I am looking at buying a chip to install CarPlay. Has anyone had any success in doing this? For some reason, most chips available seem to mention that they work on a huge list of Mercedes but not on a glc...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can't answer your question but isn't the GLC system exactly the same as the C class?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have an sd card under the centre armrest for the sat sav ? I yes, then it is the 'Audio 20' system ntg 5

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little expensive.
These Apple Carplay Android Auto Activation Tools For Mercedes Benz Car NTG5 S1 OBD 2 don't mention the GLC, so not sure they work.
Have an Apple phone myself, and was keen to have Carplay when I first got the car, but to be honest I haven't missed not having it, I bluetooth my phone connection and play all my audio stuff that way.
I purchased one of those OBD 2 Activators off Ebay for my March 2019 GLC 250 which has NTG5 S2 I believe (Audio 20). It seems to work i.e. You see it stating it activates Apple Carplay but you dont get the option in Telephone menu after it reboots the Audio 20 unit.. Apparently this is due to Mercedes blocking it in an update around October 2018. My car has an option for 'Mercedes-benz Link' in telephone but that requires an Adapter according to manual, Mercedes Benz dealers seem to be clueless about this option and either says its not a uk option even though car seems set up for it or dont seem to know anything about it. Bizarely it seems there is an App for Russia and Turkey (Android) . When I connect an Android Phone (S7) it seems to start up Mercedes link automatically but then states 'no authorised applications' , I suspect its a Bas*** version of Mirrorlink but yet again zero help from dealership.

They told me at first my car was enabled for Apple Carplay and said they would check into it, promised a call back but didn't, when I chased I was told curtly that Airplay wasnt available in my car. Not impressed with them at all.

I am hoping someone will figure out a way to unlock the software so it works (Airplay) , I noticed an option in Mercedes me Store for enabling Airplay ( £299 ) but that doesn't show against my car. I would gladly pay the £299 to get it working but it seems Mercedes have decided a business model to disable it.

I did look into the Braybrooks option which does seem good but for now I will wait to see if we get an option that doesnt involve 3rd party hardware, I already fell fowl of that with a previous Mercedes where they said it invalidated the warranty getting a third party reversing camera fitted

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased one of those OBD 2 Activators off Ebay for my March 2019 GLC 250 which has NTG5 S2 I believe (Audio 20). It seems to work i.e. You see it stating it activates Apple Carplay but you dont get the option in Telephone menu after it reboots the Audio 20 unit.. Apparently this is due to Mercedes blocking it in an update around October 2018. My car has an option for 'Mercedes-benz Link' in telephone but that requires an Adapter according to manual, Mercedes Benz dealers seem to be clueless about this option and either says its not a uk option even though car seems set up for it or dont seem to know anything about it. Bizarely it seems there is an App for Russia and Turkey (Android) . When I connect an Android Phone (S7) it seems to start up Mercedes link automatically but then states 'no authorised applications' , I suspect its a Bas*** version of Mirrorlink but yet again zero help from dealership.

They told me at first my car was enabled for Apple Carplay and said they would check into it, promised a call back but didn't, when I chased I was told curtly that Airplay wasnt available in my car. Not impressed with them at all.

I am hoping someone will figure out a way to unlock the software so it works (Airplay) , I noticed an option in Mercedes me Store for enabling Airplay ( £299 ) but that doesn't show against my car. I would gladly pay the £299 to get it working but it seems Mercedes have decided a business model to disable it.

I did look into the Braybrooks option which does seem good but for now I will wait to see if we get an option that doesnt involve 3rd party hardware, I already fell fowl of that with a previous Mercedes where they said it invalidated the warranty getting a third party reversing camera fitted
Does your GLC have COMAND? I'm trying to figure out whether this is not compatible with your car because it's a GLC and they just don't support any of them pre-2020 or because you have the audio 20 system, and not the COMAND system?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
I own a 2016 glc 250. Firstly, does anyone know what comand version it would be running? I am looking at buying a chip to install CarPlay. Has anyone had any success in doing this? For some reason, most chips available seem to mention that they work on a huge list of Mercedes but not on a glc...
In my opinion,your 2016 glc 250 maybe NTG5.0 comand version.I bought CarPlay from CarPlay Smart Box.I think you can take a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts