Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says above, I'm looking to get a shiny new roof box (my old Atera has seen better days), I'll also need a set of roof bars to put it on.

So any recommendations and advice would be welcome

Cheers

Paul

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I got mine from the dealers, expensive but very good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Paul.

I use Thule bars as follows.

Thule Wingbar Edge

I've had a Thule roof box for years (Pacific 780) which still looks and works OK but you can get "cooler" looking ones now like this

Thule Motion XT XL

Draven.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul.

I use Thule bars as follows.

Thule Wingbar Edge

I've had a Thule roof box for years (Pacific 780) which still looks and works OK but you can get "cooler" looking ones now like this

Thule Motion XT XL

Draven.
That's exactly the combination (Thule Wingbars and Motion XT XL) I've narrowed it down to along with the Mercedes ones.

Prices - near enough that it makes no difference
Looks - Both look fine to me
Size - The Thule is 50 litres bigger, but the Merc one does look taller
Availability - next day for both

I need a tie breaker

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*****Update*****

Bought the Thule Wingbars and Motion XT XL

Fit - size wise, the Motion XT XL fits the GLC perfectly, couldn't have gone much bigger, I think the XXL would have been too big.
Quality - The Wingbars are a nice bit of kit, but I am slightly disappointed with the roofbox itself, the quality of the plastics on the bottom half being quite poor and very flimsy. Only time will tell if it stands up to the rigours of use.
Weight - I didn't check the weight of the roofbox before I purchased it, let me tell you its heavy, 4.5KG heavier than the Mercedes one, that might not sound a lot but when you are trying to lift it onto the roof by yourself you feel all 23.5KG of it
Looks - Good
Price - Expensive

·
Registered
466 Posts
With the added carrying capacity you will now be able to transport sufficient fake tan for a long weekend away :wink2: >:)
Let us see a photo of The Beast wearing his new headgear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least another 50kg, should get a long weekend out if that lot 🙂

I'll get some pics when it stops raining but I did take this one when I was at Mercedes World earlier this week, would look good in your garage @Toobad 20180726_140050_1532862428139.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Toobad

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Cruz aero bars - no complaints at all.

Cruz Aero Bars

And I have a Kamei Husky roof box - does the job but if I was buying again, I'd pat the extra and get one which opens from both sides.

Always got my stuff (and can recommend) roofbox.co.uk.
Great customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

What's the maximum weigh you've loaded onto the roof. The manual says 75kg. BMW X3 is 100kg, C-Class Estate ranges from 75-100kg, model dependent makes a difference somehow... (don't see it myself).

I have a similar setup to Visa, but with a slightly smaller box. Thule Wingbars and the Thule Motion XT L.

I'm looking to try fit the box with two bikes. Thule 561's where the front wheel comes off and locks onto spokes. The weight is going to be close to 75, borderline exceeding. Would definitely be less than 100kg.

Roof Rails and fittings, 5kg
Bike carrier x 2, 3kg
Roofbox, 20kg
Combined bikes, 25kg.

So about 53kg without anything in roofbox. Looking to just put clothes in softbags in the roofbox, plus a few long items, beach brollies etc. Think the softbags will be about 5kg and get about 7 in. So another 35kg taking the weight up to about 90kg, 15kg over what Mercedes recommend.

I'm trying to see if I can lighter things up in the box than clothes to bring weight down). Wary it's over and not sure whether to risk it, otherwise I'll annoyingly have to loose a bike.

N.B, bars can take up 100kg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've always bought Thule but I found the genuine Merc GLC bars are better. The tool-free adjustment and rubber padding on the feet are far superior to the Thule.

Only downside is that the Merc bars have to be fitted at specific points on the rails as the width cannot be adjusted. So, if you carry long loads, the Thule might make more sense as they can be placed much further apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts