Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of a brilliant blue GLC 300 for the past year. I am looking for recommendations on a bike rack for the roof. I have learned that a hitch mounted rack will block my rear view camera (I also don't have a hitch installed). I have rails on the roof of my car and the pictures of the rack in the MB accessory catalog shows a rack mounted to a bare roof. Anyone out there have a MB rack mounted on rails or do you have a Yakima/Thule, etc rack?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Never installed bike racks, but I do like to read up on accessories and Thule seems to be one of the more well known brands. Reviews are generally positive as well and they have upright bike carriers that doesn't require removal of the front wheel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't mount them on a bare roof. I had racks on the roof on an Audi q3 I had. This involved first buying the roof bars (which where model specific) and then buying the bike roof racks.

I used Mont Blanc make - good quality and come with locks to secure them to the roof bars...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have a look at SeaSucker bike racks.

Direct mount via suction pads to the bodywork or glass screen - they are top notch!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
They look pretty cool, but I have an inbuilt mistrust for things that I've attached to the roof, even when bolted on, strapped on and by me holding it through the open sunroof :) haha.

I see the video of that dude basically handbrake turning with bikes on the roof, I just couldn't get my head around trusting it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah ! My mate has one he?s trusting of it and it works just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see this is an older thread, but replying in case you're still searching. I currently have a 2015 GLA with Mercedes OEM roof racks (mounted to the same kind of rails the GLC has) and two Thule Sidearm racks and I use them all the time to transport my son's bikes -- BMX all the way up to 29" MTB.

That said, my lease is up in 2018 and I am looking at a GLC or GLC Coupe and for sure want a hitch rack, just for convenience's sake, probably with a 1UP rack. I did see the Seasucker racks in person at Sea Otter and they looked good, but it would make me nervous to have $$$ bikes suctioned onto my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi OCMarisa, I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to check - you said you are using OEM Mercedes roof bars with Thule bike carrier. Does the Thule carrier fit ok on the Merc bars please? Do you need any sort of adapter? Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’d almost certainly suggest the Mercedes bars are made by Thule
As long as the bars have T Track fittings all will be good

I have the Thule Evo Wingbars with the 753 footpack and offers unuiversal fitting for Roof box and Cycle carriers

However, my point of post,
Access to the roof is troublesome and requires a step, probably ok for a single bike either side, however the inboard cycle is troublesome to access, as such I favoured the towbar mount as I the towbar carrier.

·
Registered
2020 GLC4M
3 Posts
Have a look at SeaSucker bike racks.

Direct mount via suction pads to the bodywork or glass screen - they are top notch!!
I use Thule crossbars and 3 fork-lock carriers. Worked well on my 2017 GLC4M and now on my new 2020. The MB crossbars actually "prevent" the panarama roof from opening, so don't go there.

Look to Rocky Mounts for a lockable thru-axle adapter for a fork mount.

If anyone needs part numbers and the video, lemme know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts