Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got running boards on their GLC. If so how do you like them and can you stand on them while getting out of the car?

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
I have them on mine and they are more for looks than practicality, help when fitting roof box.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had them on my loan GLC and hated them over winter, pain to get in and out of in bad weather without getting dirt on you trousers. Must admit that they do look really good and would make washing the roof a bit easier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have them and imo they greatly improve the look of the car. I don't stand on them but the missus does as she has a foot problem and they help her get in and out of the passenger side, ( she doesn't drive it, has her own car to get scratched :wink2: ).

I've had mine right through the winter and not a single instance of dirty trousers but you do need to be aware of them.

They significantly reduce the amound of crud and gravel being thrown up on to the bodywork and along with mudflaps keep the car much cleaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My legs are short and I will be wearing out that seat booster very fast. Looks like I will be able to stand on it like a step to get in and out.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
263 Posts
My legs are short and I will be wearing out that seat booster very fast. Looks like I will be able to stand on it like a step to get in and out.

Thanks all!
My missus is only 5'1" :smile2:

The only thing that bothers me about her standing on it is that the steel will most likely scratch though seems ok so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Side steps look good, but a waste of effort.
Hard to use to get in and out. On uneven ground you have to step out further to get foothold - would be ok if you had a ‘go go gadget’ leg that was telescopic !!!
Trousers get wet, yes you can wash front half of roof easier, useless to wash rear half of roof.
Looking to remove from my wagon.
Wife has GLC Coupe and we deleted them on build state - best decision, much easier to get in and out.
I use a small plastic 2 step stool to clean both roofs, purchased from auto shop. Safer and easier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can also stand on rear tyre and hold roof bar whilst cleaning roof.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My mate has a 2015 GLC without sidesteps and I meet up with him most Thursdays to fly fish for trout, country roads often muddy takes the same route as me and the difference between our cars is marked. Mine with steps and mudflaps arrives relatively clean but his always has loads of mud spattered halfway up the doors.

That for me makes them well worth having and a bonus that I like the look as well.

I've driven all over Oz Techno, probably lucky but seen very little mud just mostly dust which gets into everything anyway.:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Agree Lons, added bonus. Have them on this car and will be on next and NEVER caught trousers on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am picking up a AMG GLC 43 SUV maybe next week, its a stock order so no choice on trim, I want to remove the running boards I dont like them! so how easy are they to change back to the standard black trim?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think it's pretty quick and straightforward however you need to replace them with the standard plastic side skirts and no idea what the cost or availability of those are.
Why don't you have a word wirth the dealer to see if they'll swap from one of their stock no running board models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lons, I have but he is flaffing a bit as usual. At the end of the day I will change them myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will need a new inner and outer sill trim will take about a hour each side max.i would swop with you as I have non gen running boards fitted and like them.took my normal sills trims off at 1 week old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You will need a new inner and outer sill trim will take about a hour each side max.i would swop with you as I have non gen running boards fitted and like them.took my normal sills trims off at 1 week old.
Hi Learoy,

I will go to my local dealer next in the few days and see what the availability and cost of the trims are, we may be able to do a swap.

johna

·
Registered
2 Posts
The running boards on my 2018 GLC have become discoloured, they are almost a milky white colour. What can I do to restore them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi yes I fitted some myself easy to fit got them off eBay and yes you can stand on them I have also found it helps to stop people banging there doors against yours when parking at shops .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn’t really want the running boards (was part of a package the dealer found on an in stock model) but found them incredibly useful on holiday accessing the roof box! Mine have gone ‘milky’ too so any advice would be appreciated. Jamie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts