Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im in the UK and have just ordered the new GLC 300 AMG Line - i wnated the running boards but they only came with an expensive Premium Pack so i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get the running boards separate so i can fit them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you adamant about getting them? I only ask because they are a bit of a pain the @rse. The car isn't high enough to use them as a step, and when getting out of the car it is almost impossible to do so without rubbing your calf down them. This may be ok in the summer but after a rainy winter drive you always end up with a wet trouser leg.
They look good though, but if I could chose again I wouldn't have them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's a Marmite type subject, personally I like them and as I've said previously have not ( so far ) managed to get mud on my trousers from the running boards, that's over a period of 27 months and 14000 miles through one of the wettest years I can remember.

Additionally, my wife has had both hips replaced and a serious heel operation in the last 5 years and would find it difficult to get into my car if she didn't stand on the step, she does only have size 4 shoes though.

What I like most about them however is that in conjunction with front and rear mudflaps the volume of much thrown up on to the bodywork is vastly reduced compared to a car without. I have made a direct comparison over identical route as a mate had a GLC without either and we drove the same route to a golf venue.

Like everything, just my personal opinion, we're all different.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a Marmite type subject, personally I like them and as I've said previously have not ( so far ) managed to get mud on my trousers from the running boards, that's over a period of 27 months and 14000 miles through one of the wettest years I can remember.

Additionally, my wife has had both hips replaced and a serious heel operation in the last 5 years and would find it difficult to get into my car if she didn't stand on the step, she does only have size 4 shoes though.

What I like most about them however is that in conjunction with front and rear mudflaps the volume of much thrown up on to the bodywork is vastly reduced compared to a car without. I have made a direct comparison over identical route as a mate had a GLC without either and we drove the same route to a golf venue.

Like everything, just my personal opinion, we're all different.

Bob
That's a good point. MY GLC stays much cleaner than other cars I have owned. I must try and perfect getting out without getting a wet leg ha ha

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
If you like look of them get them, correct regarding helping keep car clean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I find that the car stays cleaner since I fitted mudflaps, fancied the side steps but was put off by dealer comments and the fact that it would have made the car eligible for premium car tax 🤔

·
Registered
259 Posts
I find that the car stays cleaner since I fitted mudflaps, fancied the side steps but was put off by dealer comments and the fact that it would have made the car eligible for premium car tax 🤔
That would have made them very expensive running boards! I got them fitted as part of the deal as I was over the tax threshold anyway.

You can retrofit and as said earlier they're significantly cheaper from Direct 4 x 4 and are pretty simple to fit. You probably would have an issue with your existing mudflaps however and would need to modify them slightly to accommodate the ends of the running boards. There are different flap versions available for cars with or without boards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think that’s enough reason not to spec.
Ebay offers mudflaps that can be installed with side steps, I would stress, I don’t feel the form over function, the steps are more aesthetic than functional steps as such! I wouldn’t be standing on them...

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
I had them on my GLC and they look great in my opinion, in my GLE they are a must for getting in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 'Chameleon' brand ones from ebay. They are a perfect fit and of very high quality.
Hi your GLC looks amazing MACA69 is it an AMG or AMG line also what year? do you have a link to them on ebay? we have bought a 2019 GLC-43 and would like to fit them. Are they easy to fit?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts