Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Australia to find a letter from MB informing me Red Ken requires the SRPC1838 software update, I assume all owners of diesel-engined variants Europe-wide are getting this recall notice. For anybody not aware of what this is about, it all boils down to the fact MB have been caught with their trousers down. Essentially the German transport ministry has identified the hidden "emissions defeat" coding buried in their engine management software. The Daimler PR department must have invested many late nights to put a "because we care" spin on the situation but in reality the spectre of the VW emissions scandal is what has driven the recall. The fines, compensation and vehicle buy-backs cost VW billions.

I won't be rushing to have the new software loaded but will get it done next time I have a reason to visit my Dealer, hopefully not before my June 2019 service. It's good to see the remap is warranted for 2 years against any degrading of fuel consumption or engine output as well as damage to the exhaust gas recirculation system. IIRC many VW owners were complaining their cars ran like dogs after their new software was uploaded. On the upside your diesel car will become EURO 6b compliant so should now be exempted from the London emissions surcharge provide MB update your car's specs on the Government's database. On the downside, your AdBlue consumption will increase a little bit but I'm sure the hipsters drinking their pseudo-coffees at the pavement cafes of Central London will thank you for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Toobad, I'll ask if the dealer knows when my cars' in next week though I'm in no hurry either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Received the Recall Notice and our GLC is booked in for the Software update next week.

Fingers crossed this won't cause any performance issues.

Thanks for the additional information Toobad :)

Tony

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony, maybe you can post up your recall experience to this thread next week. Perhaps you should also invest in a Friends of the Earth sticker for your GLC, it may prevent the self-entitled, omni-offended millenials from Generation Snowflake throwing stones at your environment-polluting monster >:)

Trev.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just got back from Australia to find a letter from MB informing me Red Ken requires the SRPC1838 software update, I assume all owners of diesel-engined variants Europe-wide are getting this recall notice. For anybody not aware of what this is about, it all boils down to the fact MB have been caught with their trousers down. Essentially the German transport ministry has identified the hidden "emissions defeat" coding buried in their engine management software. The Daimler PR department must have invested many late nights to put a "because we care" spin on the situation but in reality the spectre of the VW emissions scandal is what has driven the recall. The fines, compensation and vehicle buy-backs cost VW billions.

I won't be rushing to have the new software loaded but will get it done next time I have a reason to visit my Dealer, hopefully not before my June 2019 service. It's good to see the remap is warranted for 2 years against any degrading of fuel consumption or engine output as well as damage to the exhaust gas recirculation system. IIRC many VW owners were complaining their cars ran like dogs after their new software was uploaded. On the upside your diesel car will become EURO 6b compliant so should now be exempted from the London emissions surcharge provide MB update your car's specs on the Government's database. On the downside, your AdBlue consumption will increase a little bit but I'm sure the hipsters drinking their pseudo-coffees at the pavement cafes of Central London will thank you for it.
Sorry I missed you when in Oz.
Did you get south to Melbiourne or stay up around Sydney ?
Let us know how the Remap works out.
Thanks Fot the update.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Teckno. Yes, we flew from Birmingham via Dubai into Tullamarine, jumped on the Gull Bus to Geelong and spent a quick 2 weeks with the the wife's Dad in Drysdale on the Bellarine Peninsula. We didn't venture back into Melbourne this time and only wandered as far as Bell's Beach on the Great Ocean Road. Glad the weather cleared up at Flemington for the afternoon of the Melbourne Cup and smugly reminded everyone the first 3 horses past the post were all Pommie. :grin2:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good to hear, yes Pommie horses did really well. 4 Cruise ships in port for the weeks racing festivities, 8000 visitors off them !!
We did a 3 day drive last Feb down the great Ocean road in out convertible BMW 330Ci, only slowed down by tourists from our far north who cannot drive that well and constantly slowed to 35kph on bends. You new you were close by smelling transmission and their fading brakes. Gave the manual convertible some stick where able.
Will take the GLC Coupe next time, but not during Chinese New Year holidays.
Glad you had a great time, nice part of the world down there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I assume from this, as there are no follow on comments, that SRPC 1838 has not had any detrimental impact on performance, drive-ability, economy or adblue usage? Had my recall notice and didn't want to go into it if there are any issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive had mine done and driving fine.
You do get a little booklet explaining that the AdBlue usage can increase and may need a top up between services, which is what I would expect with the update anyway.

Ive also move over to Michelin Cross Climate tyres on 19 inch wheels. Seem fine and not so "clunky".

·
Registered
148 Posts
Update - The SRPC1838 software update was installed at the end of 2018 on our GLC 250d

No noticeable change in performance / gear changing etc. - The car drives exactly the same as prior to the update.

However,

Prior to the update - after 22,000 miles - the overall average mpg was showing 42 mpg

Since the update - after 4,000 miles - the overall mpg has dropped quite significantly to 35 mpg

Has anyone noticed a change?

Tony

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My update was done on Tuesday. After the whole clonking debacle over the last 3 years, my paranoia was telling me not to believe a word of the recall notice. Their embedded emissions defeat coding had been sussed by the German Transport Ministry and now MB were trying to spin the imposed recall as a "because we care" exercise in customer service. AdBlue consumption had to go up simply because you need to flush more of it through the exhaust system to meet the spec in the absence of the defeat code. Flush enough and you can claim "The new software helps to further decrease the average nitrogen oxide emissions while driving on the road."

The Certification enclosed with the recall notice states "Daimler AG guarantees that the implementation of the measure has no relevant impact on the certified fuel consumption and CO2 emissions values, nor on the engine output, torque, noise emission and service life of the vehicles."

Because of my paranoia, I took photos of my fuel consumption and total mileage just prior to getting the update. On my last tankful, Ken's 220d engine was returning 43.4mpg. I haven't done many miles since the update but the consumption is currently registering 39.7mpg. I am hoping the system needs some time to stabilise and the update doesn't end up costing me a 10% reduction in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I hope that's all it is Toobad.

I'm lucky to get 35 out of my 250d and would be seriously upset if that went down even further.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
35 isn't that bad, in a 2 litre diesel discovery sport with less power I was lucky to get 30. We all know the stated figures are rubbish, I am getting 23/24 in the 43 and I am happy with that, will be interested to see what I get in the GLE 450 but definitely won't be what MB say.

·
Registered
259 Posts
35 was a bit of a shock to me Phil as I got a good 10mpg more in the Audi avant quatro. It was a little less powerful at 190bhp which might have made a difference and lower so maybe less drag?
I don't do high mileage so isn't really important on reflection.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We all know the stated figures are rubbish, I am getting 23/24 in the 43 and I am happy with that, will be interested to see what I get in the GLE 450 but definitely won't be what MB say.
Since last September the manufacturers fuel consumption figures have been forced to be a little less rubbish. Published figures must now conform to the WLTP/RDE (World Harmonised Light Vehicle Testing Procedure/Real Driving Emissions) test. Of course manufacturers still try to show the best fuel consumption their cars can achieve by conducting the test in unreal scenarios by keeping things like the aircon and heated rear screen off. Gear changing can also still be done for optimum mpg which doesn't reflect a normal person's real world driving style. It's a move in the right direct and still serves to allow comparisons in fuel economy between different cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Since last September the manufacturers fuel consumption figures have been forced to be a little less rubbish. Published figures must now conform to the WLTP/RDE (World Harmonised Light Vehicle Testing Procedure/Real Driving Emissions) test. Of course manufacturers still try to show the best fuel consumption their cars can achieve by conducting the test in unreal scenarios by keeping things like the aircon and heated rear screen off. Gear changing can also still be done for optimum mpg which doesn't reflect a normal person's real world driving style. It's a move in the right direct and still serves to allow comparisons in fuel economy between different cars.
Correct Toobad, the figures for the 43 were 34 in 2017 now 29, still high but better. When I first bought the 43 I was concerned with the mpg I was getting but now just accept it for the fun of driving the car. Most of my journeys are relatively short (less than 8 miles) and living in wonderful Dorset where they don't have any motorways I am happy with my mileage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We get an overall average of 39mpg from our 220d (which has the latest firmware). Achieving 46mpg on a run is perfectly possible in ours - oddly, I find my Individual ‘dynamic select’ which includes Sports gearing and steering, gives me higher mpg more easily than the default Comfort setting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the same issues with my 250d. There's another thread on here from Jan 19 when mine broke down due to a fault on the accelerator pedal so whilst fixing that they did the software update.

Mine too has reduced the overall MPG average down from 43mpg to now anything between 35-40mpg depending on what type of journey I'm doing. I have done around 3000miles since the software update and keep some pretty good records which shows if I'm doing the normal daily commute to the office its averaging around 37mpg, but if I do some motorway miles across the Pennies to our Manchester office I can get 46-48mpg if I keep the speed down to 68-70mph.

AD blue consumption has also increased significantly from the software update and currently it has used almost a third of the tank within 3000 miles, so on that basis will need a refill somewhere between 9000-10000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts