Mercedes GLC Forum banner

Sat Nav Update issues with Dealership

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Headhurts 
#1 ·
Hi

As a new member I hope I have posted this in correct place!

Have had my 2016 GLC since new 2016 and I believe it has Comand system,

I have been asking to have my sat nav updated by dealership since 2017 to reflect massive 36 mile bypass round Aberdeen will all the associated new junctions.

Does anyone know if Sat Nav should have been updated for FREE during first 3 years?

Dealership are saying EACH update would have had to been paid for by me (believe now version 13?)!

They now want £117 to upgrade!

While I am now out of 3 year cover complaint has been ongoing since 2017....anyone with similar issues with Mercedes dealership especially Aberdeen?

#2 ·
Whilst I’ve no amswer, I hopeful your question shall merit discussion
I have my first service nearing and would like sat nav update to include the bypass to save me driving through fields..
Im thinking, it may be worth travelling for servicing to avoid dealership traits

#3 ·
You would need something in writing probably to confirm you had requested the satnav update within the 3 year manufacturers warranty from a MB dealership and they didn’t do it at that time.
As you are now out of the 3 year warranty you will probably have to pay unless you have a good relationship with the dealer! And yes, we are on V13 2019 for the Comand one but you only pay for the latest one and not all the previous versions.

#4 ·
Dear ditch999

I have indeed kept all my emails from 2017 onwards so have no problem on that issue
One question....You say it is now Comand Version 13 2019...do you know WHEN this was released?
I think if it was before Sept 2019 will complete my case against MB and the dealership as each is blaming the other!!

#5 ·
UPDATE; The dealership today completed the work for free after i demonstrated via past emails that I had repeatedly asked for the upgrade!

Unfortunately Mercedes Comand Sat Nav have still NOT added the Aberdeen AWPR the largest road bypass project completed in Europe in the last 10 years which has gradually opened in 2018 and completed January 2019.

Think a new car is required...and it will NOT be a Mercedes!

#7 ·
The GLC maps pre mbux are tom tom.

#17 ·
Map updates in UK are free for 3 years.

#18 ·
Djlr Hi, I'm in Aberdeen and probably use the same stealers. If you have an SD card in centre consul 'Pop' it out and read card details.(mine expired 2019) Buy similar from e bay about £20,(an unused one) and insert into SD card slot. Follow instructions, On your PC (or Lap top) Download MBADownloadManager_GarminUpdate. Insert your SD card into your reader and follow instructions. It took a long time to download so use mains power. When you re-insert into car you'll now see AWPR no probs.

#22 ·
Hi Bomber209
For some reason I have never received this post but will now try to action.
Thank you for the valuable information and will certainly give your instructions a try in coming weeks....presume by central consul you mean SD slot in compartment between front seats?

#19 ·
Hello

I have also been having issues getting my local dealership to update the maps. I recently took the car in for its second service (bought the car at a year old) and specifically asked for the maps to be updated, it is stated as completed on the invoice. However, I find my self driving across fields when using a road that was completed in early 2018. The map version is V10. When I asked why this was not updated during the service I was informed that there is a £99 charge for updating the maps and I will also have to buy a new card as he current car is not suitable.

Can anyone confirm that...

• You are allowed free map updates whilst the car is under warranty, I understand this to be the case.
  • There is no issue with a 2018 SD card, it is a 32GB card as supplied with the vehicle and has 41% free space on it.
  • I have seen a number of links to a download manager to check the card and update the map, the only one that has run on my PC has a message that no card has been detected. I am also aware that it should ask for a password but it down not. Can anyone please point me in the direction on a working version and let me know how to obtain a username and password.

Thanks

#23 ·
Hello

I have also been having issues getting my local dealership to update the maps. I recently took the car in for its second service (bought the car at a year old) and specifically asked for the maps to be updated, it is stated as completed on the invoice. However, I find my self driving across fields when using a road that was completed in early 2018. The map version is V10. When I asked why this was not updated during the service I was informed that there is a £99 charge for updating the maps and I will also have to buy a new card as he current car is not suitable.

Can anyone confirm that...

• You are allowed free map updates whilst the car is under warranty, I understand this to be the case.
  • There is no issue with a 2018 SD card, it is a 32GB card as supplied with the vehicle and has 41% free space on it.
  • I have seen a number of links to a download manager to check the card and update the map, the only one that has run on my PC has a message that no card has been detected. I am also aware that it should ask for a password but it down not. Can anyone please point me in the direction on a working version and let me know how to obtain a username and password.
Thanks
You most certainly are entitled to map updates for 3 years but seems to be an ongoing issue with both MB and dealerships being reticent to carrying out work!
The version I have had installed is V13 2019 see my proof earlier in thread....I had also been V10. Suggest you wait for V14 2020 (which maybe already out) if not ask question and others will probably know when V14 due?
Would complain to MB UK re map update (sometimes they are as useless so be prepared) and since your invoice says work carried out maybe worth discussing with local Trading Standards who are normally very helpful and will speak with dealership....worthwhile as may stop them doing again to others.

#21 ·
Assuming you are in the UK then it is my understanding that map updates are available FOC while the car is under it's 3 year warranty, mine is a premium plus with maps are on the HDD so can't be 100% certain for the card version however.
In practice it can be a bit more difficult as the dealers seem unwilling to update, I guess possibly because it ties up a bay in the case of the HDD type and they get paid relatively little for doing it. I've had several issues with my dealer who have lied saying it was up to date when it wasn't, that a new version wasn't available when it was, saying they'd done it when they hadn't and in the last case when I called MB customer services it appears that they had allocated the latest version to mine, invoiced MB but hadn't installed it. My car will be 3 years old at the end of September, there's been an update available for at least 6 months but I'm going to wait until I request a pre end of warranty inspection to have it installed and needless to say will be using a different dealer. They seem to rely on the fact that relatively few owners have any idea how to check their current version never mind knowing what is available.

What I suggest you do is telephone MB customer services to complain and ask them to act on your behalf, they will ring the dealer who will have to contact you and hopefully sort it because MB will follow up.

Great cars but absolutely cr*p dealerships IMO compared with my previous experiences with BMW and Audi.

#24 ·
Thnaks the the information and advice , just to confirm the maps are on and SD card and not HDD.

Can someone give me the correct contact details for MB customer services, I used an email before during the lock down as my service was overdue and the message just got sent directly to the dealership.

I will go back to the dealership pointing out that the claim to have done the work and probably put the time sheet through on that job too. I was told when i dropped the car off i was entitled to a free update but after I collected the car and pointed out it was not done, it became chargeable

It now means that I have to go back to the garage and leave the car there for another day for the update.

#27 ·
It will likely just be with a service assistant so be prepared for a fight if necessary. Keep copies of correspondence, 'phone calls and dates.
I've had a couple of issues, one being quite serious as after the dealer upgraded the stearing knuckles on my car it became undriveable in the wet, they brushed me off several times until I got the service managers email ( usually easy to find ) and wrote him a detailed letter and said I would be putting in a formal complaint to MB. They quickly booked me in, loaned me a car and had mine in the workshop for 2 days including overnight in a bay as I kept a check via Mercedes Me app. I never did get to the bottom of what they had done originally but the cat miraculously was back to excellent handling while they said they had made only minor adjustments, a downright lie which is why they will never get my business again. If they had put their hands up and admitted someone had not fitted the components correctly I'd have accepted that as anyone can make a mistake.

The service managers are asked to explain and qualify justified complaints and will do their utmost to sort things before it gets to that stage.

#28 ·
Surprising result after just one strong email! After being misled about the map I informed them in a complaint that I would investigate the other things I was told about the front skipping. I had also asked them to look at the front skipping (when its cold) during the service, this was not done! When I collected my car that I was told the skipping was not covered by the warranty which I said was strange, the guy immediately responded say the warranty is limit to 19,000 miles and my car was over that.and also that the steering knuckles are NOT available for the 2018 model. I got an apology from the person I dealt with. They will replace the map free of charge and the car is going into the workshop in two weeks time to have the steering knuckles changed, they claim it will take 2-3 days and I will get a courtesy car whilst the work is done.

#29 ·
D2jir Hi, I also live in Aberdeen and had same problem. If you have the type with Memory Card in armrest as I have, you can get the latest card from E-bay sites. Once purchased you have 90 days in which to update the card. This can be done on your PC/Laptop using the Download Manager in the software, It can take a long time so you'll need mains power. Just follow the instructions and you're off. Mine now shows the AWPR.

#30 ·
Hi As a new member I hope I have posted this in correct place! Have had my 2016 GLC since new 2016 and I believe it has Comand system, I have been asking to have my sat nav updated by dealership since 2017 to reflect massive 36 mile bypass round Aberdeen will all the associated new junctions. Does anyone know if Sat Nav should have been updated for FREE during first 3 years? Dealership are saying EACH update would have had to been paid for by me (believe now version 13?)! They now want £117 to upgrade! While I am now out of 3 year cover complaint has been ongoing since 2017....anyone with similar issues with Mercedes dealership especially Aberdeen?
Yes I have a 2016 GLC 250 D had problems with the sat nav radio and phone for the last 3Years Mercedes have replaced a completely new system but the problem has worsened

#31 ·
Mine has the later MBUX system and updates are done over the air and you can see which updates via MercedesMe app.

If you want a complete update ie if in U.K. the Europe mats this has to be done at dealership and they are quite reluctant unless you book it in specificall.

Robin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.