Mercedes GLC Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just noticed a fancy signature in black at bottom drivers side of windscreen, looks like G. Davidson, it is inside the glass, anybody any idea what / who it is?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Phil. Must be the same bloke who made my car, G Davidson on mine too!

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He must be knackered Andy!.

·
Registered
27 Posts
He must be knackered Andy!.
Clearly a very busy chap! Would be interested to know the significance of the signature though

·
Registered
467 Posts
Have just noticed a fancy signature in black at bottom drivers side of windscreen, looks like G. Davidson, it is inside the glass, anybody any idea what / who it is?
That's the signature of Gottlieb Daimler. Got to admire the handwriting of somebody so old. Seems such a shame he's ended up in the windscreen department after starting the company all those years ago. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he carrys on he will be in the "crabbing" department next, thanks for info Toobad.

I didn't receive the lockin wheel nut socket with the car and the dealer is getting me one, I have the "gunk" and compressor and haven't got a jack or wheelbrace, assume this is correct are your cars the same?.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yup, gunk and compressor supplied but no jack or wheelbrace. I bought a fold up cross- style wheelbrace because you need to exert force radially around the key. Using a L-shaped wheel nut wrench puts uneven purchase on just one side and risks you "mullering" the key/locknut or slipping off and damaging the wheel lacquer. It comes in its own case and stows neatly in the boot floor.

Top Tech Cross Spinner Wheel Brace £14.49 delivered

I also got a high-lift bottle jack and fabricated an adaptor to fit into the service lift jacking point. Wouldn't want a tyrefitter monkey cracking all my underbody cladding by just pushing a trolley jack under there, I'd rather remove the wheel myself.

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Toobad, think it will be Mercedes assist for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with Mercedes Assist. They wouldn't come around to take my wheels off so I could paint my brake calipers, the miserable lot :p

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe they aren't a supporter of Red Ken!. Looks good Toobad.

Reactions: Toobad

·
Registered
182 Posts
At first I thought the signature was special. But I noticed it in the GLE as well. Never had it in the GLS.

Now the interesting question is, when you have a replacement windscreen will it still have the Signature? Is this a trick by Mercedes to get people to get their windscreens instead of a third party one from Pilkington and the likes?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, I've seen that signature, I guessed it was Daimler but just assumed it was a window sticker the dealer had put on there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just had my windscreen changed on a 2016 GLC 250D. I went through the insurance company who put my on to National Windscreens. They said they could not do it because of the calibration of the cameras in the windscreen so it would have to be taken about 100 miles from me in Swansea. I objected and the insurance company instructed my local Mercedes dealership to do it. They had a third party windscreen company in to do it and then they recalibrated everything. The new screen does have the signature on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts