Mercedes GLC Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start stop issues

Hi Guys.
Newby to GLC but not to mercs. Only had my GLC a few days (love it) but as yet not got the eco stop/start to work. My wife owns an E220d rag top and the stop/start works perfectly as it should so concerns are creeping in already. Also the Mercedes me seems to be about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Registered it and was told I had to drive for 15 minuets to activate it but two hours later there's nothing, any advise would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same happened to mine when only 1 year old, mentioned to garage and they replaced the battery for free as still under warranty. It's working as before now

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine has'nt worked since I had the first service last November and as most studies say there is litle if any benefit and potential downside in incresed wear and tear and as I always turned it off anyway I wasn't bothered ,but we were parked down by the beach the other day , after about an hour or so a warning message came up to start the engine as the battery was low. I called assistance and they sent a tech round who checked everything ,said the battery was fine and couldn't find any faults on his laptop , suggested too many short trips was why the stop start didn't work . I put the battery on charge overnight still no stop start , I always wanted to turn it off permanently so I guess my wish has been granted , but I'm still puzzled by the low battery warning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
, but I'm still puzzled by the low battery warning.
I am guessing your vehicle is only a little over 1 year old.

Unless there are other circumstances, say ….time periods with ignition on but motor not running, lights on, many short trips with engine restarts.....and so on ...or pretty much "not normal driving behaviour"
...then in my estimation a low battery warning, while possible ...does sound unlikely.

Which leads to the thinking that there may be some other cause.

I have seen other posts, maybe here or other forums, where folk have had issues with the stop/start function ...and in some cases it was tracked down to some 'earth lead' being faulty. My interpretation is that this faulty lead, provides lower battery voltage readings to the sensors, this in turn negates the stop/start function most of the time and /or prompts a premature "low battery Warning". A replacement battery, may appear to fix the issue, however it just masks the underlying cause until the battery fades a little in its natural life cycle. (i.e. another 12 months)

Get you dealer to check out this possibility. They "should" be aware of it!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
After

Vehicle side requirements for automatic engine stop and start
In some countries and regardless of the display on the multimedia system screen, the Start / Stop ECO function is not available in any driving program, due to the quality of the fuel.

Requirements for automatic engine shutdown:
The Start / Stop ECO function is activated.
The outside temperature and the atmospheric pressure are in a range adapted to the system.
The engine has reached its operating temperature.
No motor diagnosis is active.
The engine speed is within a range appropriate for the system.
The box oil temperature is within a range suitable for the system.
The temperature of the passenger compartment is within the set range.
The fuel tank is sufficiently filled.
The system does not detect fogging on the windshield while the air conditioner is running.
The state of charge and the voltage of the battery are sufficient.
The battery temperature is within a range appropriate for the system.
The engine hood is closed.
The DSR is not enabled.
The AIR BODY CONTROL suspension is not raising the level.
Requirements for automatic engine start:
The vehicle starts to move.
The braking system requires the engine to run.
The temperature of the passenger compartment is outside the set range.
The system detects fog on the windshield while the air conditioner is running.
The state of charge of the battery is too low.