Mercedes GLC Forum banner

281 - 300 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for those who've had the knuckles replaced (As I did earlier this week). I now have an annoying, muffled wind/blowing sound in the cabin, has a slight tone to it. Definitely was not there when I handed the car to MB on Monday as I've owned the car since new in March 2017 and know all the wee noises it makes. I also have the 4985 Powertrain software update done at the same time, although I can't see that being the cause.

It's very odd as I can't see how new knuckles and dust guards would now create this type sound. It's a background noise, most present between 15 - 30mph.

Does anyone know if the track (wider?) or wheel geometry are changed with the new knuckles? Anyone else have any weird sounds following the knuckles being replaced.

Car goes back next Wed for them to investigate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maria, if your car has wrong knuckles fitted the only way to fix it is to fit the new ones and they should provide a courtesy car. As I said before try another MB dealer. To not provide a courtesy car to a customer while they investigate is unbelievable. Regarding them knowing about the fault it shouldn't be there.
Hi Philamg,

First, I took my car to a dealership which was the closest to me. They said that nothing to worry about, to go home and if I am not happy with their answer, to take my car to the dealership who has my money.
Which I did.
Again, they tried to say about being safe, comfort characteristic and so on. When I said that I am not happy, they finally agreed to fix it.

I had the car in, the day before yesterday.
Took the car just before 10.00, they called me at 14.30, the car is ready for collection. Already???
And, they emailed me the health check movie at 12.20.

Am I getting paranoid? How did they finish the 6 hours job in only 2 hours?
Obviously, the crabbing/juddering noise still present, not that loud or often I would say.
What can I do now?
Thank you for your time to answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All
I have just bought a 2018 GLC and was told about the judder on delivery after they taken my money, after reading few of the forums realising there is s a fix I got in contact with MB who kept passing me around their switchboard. I finally got a response and they agree to call me back tomorrow to arrange for the car seen to but they are still adamant that it is the characteristic of the car. I’m just wondering if anyone that have had the knuckle changed happen to have anything I can use to support my case? I’m worried that they will brush me of like others and gather enough facts or evidence to ensure they change the knuckle. Any specifics or document addressing the fix would be a great help! Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
What model have you bought Stephen, if it isn't an AMG 43 or 63 there shouldn't be any issue with getting the knuckles replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard any updates on this matter? My C43 is epileptic in this weather and I'm about ready to drive it through the dealership front door. For a 50k car this is completely unacepptable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone heard any updates on this matter? My C43 is epileptic in this weather and I'm about ready to drive it through the dealership front door. For a 50k car this is completely unacepptable.
Afraid not - no knuckle fix available for C43 / C63 owners. Shocking that MB are still selling these faulty epileptic cars 😩

My view is MB won’t offer a fix for these vehicles, because the AMG steering and suspension setup is totally different to the standard GLC 😖

Keep shouting directly at MB UK HQ and the dealers. Record and post videos on suitable forums & social media - you never know, miracles might happen.

TM

·
Registered
10 Posts
I told Mercedes I want to change my AMG 43 GLC due to the clonking and crabbing issues - straight away the sales rep suggested I change to another model - this surprised me as for the 13 months I've had the car they told me it was a characteristic of the car and there was nothing that could be done. I also told him about the recent ombudsman judgement that has been provided by another user on this forum and his face dropped - he asked if he could take the copy of the judgement to show his manager - his manager is now discussing it with his manager for next steps

·
Registered
15 Posts
I told Mercedes I want to change my AMG 43 GLC due to the clonking and crabbing issues - straight away the sales rep suggested I change to another model - this surprised me as for the 13 months I've had the car they told me it was a characteristic of the car and there was nothing that could be done. I also told him about the recent ombudsman judgement that has been provided by another user on this forum and his face dropped - he asked if he could take the copy of the judgement to show his manager - his manager is now discussing it with his manager for next steps
Please let us know how you get on...
Were same with a GLC43
Rob

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Were same with a GLC43
Rob
A real shame as apart from crabbing the 43 is a great car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So cars in for the map update on Monday and having read the entire crabbing posts I rang and asked my local MB garage if my car had ever been done with the new knuckles. She looked it up there and then and said no, but we will check it on Monday and it should be done ok. She seemed to know about it which helped I think!

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Good to hear ditch, they ALL know about it but some plead ignorance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A few months down the track. Our 43AMG still steering well on the new 21” tyres however I notice tyre wear and even chunks out of them after only a few 1000km. Can’t see them lasting more than 15000km.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Were same with a GLC43
Rob
To update - my Mercedes retailer have told me to make a formal complaint to Mercedes UK as they are technically the owners of the vehicle - so my letter will be sent imminently

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2017 220 Sport is going in on Monday morning for the steering knuckle replacements so at least they are still doing them! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a note on this klonking issue. I picked up my GLC 43 yesterday from they guy who reapplied my front clear bra...film etc.... He has a c class car and he has the same clonking issue on his car....not sure if anyone else has heard this but sounds like Mercedes is not the cars of old. Nothing is really. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Were same with a GLC43
Rob
Rob

Just to update you - I made a formal complaint to mercedes UK - I emailed my letter together with pictures of my worn out tyres and videos of the crabbing and clonking - I also referred to the ombudsman decision as referenced on this website together with a link to the AA website which says tyres should need changing after 20k miles and not 5k miles as in my case.

I have today had my tyres changed to all weather tyres free of charge but mercedes have admitted that they know that this will not fix the problem on the 43. Therefore I have told them whether to change the model of vehicle or I will go to the ombudsman. I have therefore contacted Mercedes finance to say the same (on the recommendation of my dealership).

I am staggered at how they have changed tact since I showed them the evidence I've collected - from initially claiming that the crabbing was just the tyres needing to warm up to a full blown confession that there is an issue with the vehicle - I stated that my wife and daughter don't feel safe in the vehicle too. If you are in the same place as me with regards your vehicle I strongly recommend doing the same as I have done - and I've only had the confidence to do this by reading this thread

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Rob

Just to update you - I made a formal complaint to mercedes UK - I emailed my letter together with pictures of my worn out tyres and videos of the crabbing and clonking - I also referred to the ombudsman decision as referenced on this website together with a link to the AA website which says tyres should need changing after 20k miles and not 5k miles as in my case.

I have today had my tyres changed to all weather tyres free of charge but mercedes have admitted that they know that this will not fix the problem on the 43. Therefore I have told them whether to change the model of vehicle or I will go to the ombudsman. I have therefore contacted Mercedes finance to say the same (on the recommendation of my dealership).

I am staggered at how they have changed tact since I showed them the evidence I've collected - from initially claiming that the crabbing was just the tyres needing to warm up to a full blown confession that there is an issue with the vehicle - I stated that my wife and daughter don't feel safe in the vehicle too. If you are in the same place as me with regards your vehicle I strongly recommend doing the same as I have done - and I've only had the confidence to do this by reading this thread
Great to hear, well done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob

Thanks for that, where are you hoping to get to, another model of the GLC ?
We are going to complain but wondering what our end goal should be, wondering if the GLA 43 does the same thing ?

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that, where are you hoping to get to, another model of the GLC ?
We are going to complain but wondering what our end goal should be, wondering if the GLA 43 does the same thing ?

Cheers

Rob
I was interested in a GLE (not the Coupe) as my previous vehicle was an ML 250 and that was a dream to drive. Unfortunately today Mercedes AMG have responded and said that they will not be taking the vehicle back as the crabbing is not a "fault" but a "characteristic" of the vehicle. I have therefore submitted a complaint with the ombudsman. I have no idea if I will be successful or not - but the precedent was set in November last year - and even the representative I dealt with at my dearlership admitted it was wrong that the vehicle has that "characteristic" - so I am hopeful for a favourable result but all I can do now is see what happens.

I would expect that your dealership will make you go through the same hoops as I did (change the tires to all weathers, check for rim damage etc) but they know this is a design flaw and there is no fix. I've managed to go from official complaint to Mercedes UK on 17 December, tire change on 30 December to ombudsman complaint today, 2 January - so it's been quite quick so far - but in any case, they should not be allowed to get away with this.

281 - 300 of 334 Posts