Mercedes GLC Forum banner

301 - 320 of 349 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Hope you get it sorted, I have changed to GLE and I am more than happy with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Phil, how do you find the GLE in terms of maneuverability on the road compared to the GLC (especially parking)?

I was keen to get a bigger boot but in addition to the significant cost increase I was concerned about the size on the road... GLE's are not small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was interested in a GLE (not the Coupe) as my previous vehicle was an ML 250 and that was a dream to drive. Unfortunately today Mercedes AMG have responded and said that they will not be taking the vehicle back as the crabbing is not a "fault" but a "characteristic" of the vehicle. I have therefore submitted a complaint with the ombudsman. I have no idea if I will be successful or not - but the precedent was set in November last year - and even the representative I dealt with at my dearlership admitted it was wrong that the vehicle has that "characteristic" - so I am hopeful for a favourable result but all I can do now is see what happens.

I would expect that your dealership will make you go through the same hoops as I did (change the tires to all weathers, check for rim damage etc) but they know this is a design flaw and there is no fix. I've managed to go from official complaint to Mercedes UK on 17 December, tire change on 30 December to ombudsman complaint today, 2 January - so it's been quite quick so far - but in any case, they should not be allowed to get away with this.
What size wheels do you have ? I was of the understanding that all seasons are not available for 21 inch , which is what we have.

Cheers for info , Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve had my case taken on for further investigation by the ombudsman around 2 weeks ago. Mercedes customer service didn’t want to know and repeated the “it’s a characteristic” line over and over. It took about 3 months from submitting the case for this to happen. I’ve submitted video evidence of the terrible crabbing from inside the car. Apparently Mercedes have 90 days to submit a response to the ombudsman so I don’t expect any results too quickly. Everyone affected should submit a case for this - it’s disgusting Mercedes think this is in any way acceptable

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve had my case taken on for further investigation by the ombudsman around 2 weeks ago. Mercedes customer service didn’t want to know and repeated the “it’s a characteristic” line over and over. It took about 3 months from submitting the case for this to happen. I’ve submitted video evidence of the terrible crabbing from inside the car. Apparently Mercedes have 90 days to submit a response to the ombudsman so I don’t expect any results too quickly. Everyone affected should submit a case for this - it’s disgusting Mercedes think this is in any way acceptable
Thanks - that's helpful - I was expecting both the "characteristic" response from Mercedes and the ombudsman to take its time

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Hey Phil, how do you find the GLE in terms of maneuverability on the road compared to the GLC (especially parking)?

I was keen to get a bigger boot but in addition to the significant cost increase I was concerned about the size on the road... GLE's are not small.
Thanks - Can I ask how you changed to the GLE?
GLE is a lot bigger car and at first is a bit daunting but you soon get used it.

I was about a year from end of my pcp with merc and negotiated a good deal on new car and good trade in on the 43, was lucky in that they had a fully loaded GLE arriving for the dealer principal which they let me have because my delivery went from May to June to July to August to December. Only reason I did it was the crabbing on 43.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Evening all, had my steering knuckles replaced today and got a copy of “Measurement form for chassis measurement” shows before and after adjustment, reading data though some of the values are outside target data, could anyone who has had the knuckle fix and have there measurements please post them so I can compare, thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts

GLE is a lot bigger car and at first is a bit daunting but you soon get used it.
Thanks Phil, I'm good with the GLC for the next few years but as the kids get bigger I can easily see it becoming too small. Good to hear the GLE is manageable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my wife a 2nd hand GLC 250D last August with only 17K on and many optional extra's. I also noticed the front tyres were very scrubbed and the back still look like new. It had 4 months factory warranty on it and full service history. I noticed the poor alignment within a few days and its very visible on grass--one wheel digs a trough.
I contacted MB within 2 weeks (25th Aug) about the issue--no response, i contacted them again (29th Aug)--no response. I sent the car to an MB dealership for an early service so i know everything is tip top and discussed the steering scrubbing issue--they tried to deal with MB Australia--again no response. I contacted them again before the warranty expired--still no response.
A few days after the warranty expired i contacted them--they finally replied 'There is an update to resolve this issue, but as the warranty has expired it will cost me $4455.25 to rectify'
I have contacted the ACCC and Queensland fair trading and awaiting a response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

Greatly appreciate if someone from this forum can educate me.
we are planning to buy a Mercedes GLC 300 amg plus, i have raised this issue with the dealer and he is adamant that all new cars do not have this issue, But they are unable to provide any official announcement or acknowledgement from MB.
I believe mine will be late December 2019 or early 2020 built car as it will be a brand new one.

your comments and replies will be highly helpful,
many thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

Greatly appreciate if someone from this forum can educate me.
we are planning to buy a Mercedes GLC 300 amg plus, i have raised this issue with the dealer and he is adamant that all new cars do not have this issue, But they are unable to provide any official announcement or acknowledgement from MB.
I believe mine will be late December 2019 or early 2020 built car as it will be a brand new one.

your comments and replies will be highly helpful,
many thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
It would help if you update your profile to include your location, as this will help others provide appropriate information.

New AMG C43 & C63 Right Hand Drive - UK / Australia GLC’s will still have the Crabbing characteristic = Fault 😩

If your car is an AMG Line GLC it will almost certainly have the revised steering geometry, that does a reasonable job of hiding the crabbing fault - it’s still there but rarely noticeable

Hope this helps

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone,

Whilst researching a possible glc purchase, I've stumbled on this forum and become aware of the worrying crabbing issue that some of you have been facing.
I already have a test drive booked for an approved used GLC 250d 4Matic AMG Line Prem Plus, at a local UK Mercedes dealer. But I'm now becoming put off the idea of owning one. As its a 2017 model, I'm sure it's likely to have or develop the issue, I'll be sure to test for it and check the tyres for wear, although from the pics they look quite new, Pirelli Scorpion Verde.

what are the chances of the dealer having carried out the knuckle fix, would I be eligible for any free fix not being the original owner, or is it even worth considering a purchase of a used glc anymore?
Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Hi Tubstac and welcome to the forum. A 2017 model is certainly a candidate for the steering knuckle modification. The car's digital service record will show whether this has been carried out but start with the assumption it hasn't. If the test drive goes well and you like the car, simply make it a condition of the sale that the modification is carried out. Request a Star View recording of the work being done so you have complete peace of mind. Here is my footage:

Video of Steering Knuckle Swop

It's a great car, especially in Premium Plus trim and with the new Scorpions and knuckles, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: MACAC69

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Knuckle mod is enough, if they cannot provide proof the mod has been done walk away, the crabbing spoils a great car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd suggest not buying a GLC at all. Get something else that doesn't crab - plenty of choice. I wouldn't buy another one!

301 - 320 of 349 Posts