Mercedes GLC Forum banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would I also need to ask for the all season tyres, or is the knuckle mod enough?

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde can be an all season tyre so maybe the car has them already?
The steering knuckle will only be done free if the car is still within its 3 year manufacturers warranty, or you come to an arrangement with the dealer. I think its over £4000!

There was a big difference to the car when I had mine done and even with all my issues I think the GLC is inherently a good car, as long as you get a good one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, I’m new to this great forum. I’m interested to know how those who’ve had the steering knuckle fix for a while are finding their cars now. Has the crabbing issue disappeared completely and are the tyre wear more normal?

·
Super Moderator
1,144 Posts
Welcome T-star, can you please add your location to your profile.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is a link to RHD 250d wheel alignment, with knuckle fix already done.

Follow link to photo with new alignment settings for 250d, steel springs, knuckle converted.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/617792-hi-land-down-under-australia-22.html#post7999892

Earlier post has 250d air suspension, also with knuckle conversion.
Hope this helps some owners.

This is for Australia, would be interested in seeing UK default settings, I wonder if both UK and Oz have same wheel align settings, given we are RHD .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody had any joy getting this done on a car with the Mercedes used car warranty please ?
Just bought a Jan 2017 250d GLC and the MB dealer did the knuckle fix as part of the deal as well as a Satnav update. :smile2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi All, I’m new to this great forum. I’m interested to know how those who’ve had the steering knuckle fix for a while are finding their cars now. Has the crabbing issue disappeared completely and are the tyre wear more normal?
Hi
I’m from Oz, and yes to all questions.
Knuckle fix is excellent, tyre wear much better and even, u-turns pleasurable !! Crabbing virtually gone, the little bit that you may experience is only due to fact you are looking and waiting for symptoms- a new owner would not know.
Still some tyre wear to outer edge on fronts due I think to stress tyres placed under pre conversion, that said, very happy, car drives and steers so much better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got a reply from the ombudsmen on our case and they have decided in Mercedes favour. So, to anyone else trying to do the same don't waste your time. All I can do is live with a substandard car, pay for new front tyres every five thousand miles and never buy another Mercedes again. What a pile of ****

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting that there were reports of others who got a different response ? Were they not substantiated?
Did you have an 43/63 ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Toobad @Billy24 - I can add to my quick success on this matter!

Just last Sunday (15th Mar '20), I was searching for something else online then somehow landed on the GLC Forum! Better still, on a subject that I once had to take my partner's GLC to Mercedes for the crabbing! What did I get? Some all-season Tyres - that was Feb 2019!

Fast forward to March 15th 2020 and I am out of Warranty on the 17 reg since 7th March 2020. Nonetheless, I check google weather and shows following morning will be between 0-1 degree celcius! Light bulb moment - Great opportunity to check if i can pick any crabbing especially because i seem to be the only person who ever noticed it wasn't completely gone after the all-season tyre short cut & sure enough, there it was! As a guy who likes to tinker with mechanical stuff...I've been waiting for this moment...no way Mercedes would lack a solution to such an issue..it was just a matter of time.

Short story, I called my local dealer Monday (16th Mar) morning, I simply said that I know there was now a solution to the issue they didn't quite fix. No questions asked, the guy agreed and out me on hold as I was out of Warranty. A minute later...."no problem sir, we will sort it out as out goodwill gesture to you". Booked in for Wed 18th Mar. Fix done, Car collected on Friday 27th. Tested it last two cold mornings, it's butter smooth! I must also point out the reason why I chanced asking for the fix while out of warranty was because I knew Merc could do it. Just late last year, my 57 Reg C-Class started pulling sideways and oversteering so dangerously on braking (almost drifting!) only to have it checked out by my local Indie and the whole rear sub-frame was gone! All rusted from the inside and collapsed yet just a week ago, it had passed an MOT and two weeks earlier was wheel aligned at Mercedes and no issue picked. After learning that this 2007 model had a rear subframe defect that Merc never acknowledged but fixed for a few folks later, i pounced on the chance...had a back & forth with MB UK customer care and the same local Merc dealer who was keen to charge £3K in parts alone! Good news, the same 'Goodwill' was extended on a 12.5yr old car! Yes...Unbelievably! Thing now drives like a dream too. Anyway, the point here is, even if out of warranty, dont give up hope until you've pushed it to the limit - both my cars were out of warranty but it's Merc's defects that cost them! So go get yours sorted if you can!

@Toobad , thanks for the pictures, I was actually looking to see what was done on other peoples cars since looking at mine, the knuckles seem to haev had quite some time on the grinder...I can tell atleast 4 places that have been 'sawed' off. I think in my head i expected a fresh new knucle with no modifications but hey, if they had to modify a new knucke to fix the issue, so be it. Sorry, i dont have the part number of the old knuckle to compare but I wonder, if it was the same part numbered knucke as the old that was being modified, why dont they just use the old one they remove from the car? Unless ofcourse its a different part altogether...Just thinking a loud...

Sorry for the long post folks! Blame the excitement of making the first post on finding the most relevant forum!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Nice one @roadhoppper and welcome to the forum. It just goes to show, if you don't ask you don't get. I love a story with a happy ending. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
I’m from Oz, and yes to all questions.
Knuckle fix is excellent, tyre wear much better and even, u-turns pleasurable !! Crabbing virtually gone, the little bit that you may experience is only due to fact you are looking and waiting for symptoms- a new owner would not know.
Still some tyre wear to outer edge on fronts due I think to stress tyres placed under pre conversion, that said, very happy, car drives and steers so much better.
Thanks Teckno for your response. I picked up my car today after getting the steering knuckle replacement done. First impression, is that the car now turns with a more positive feel. I did a tight U-turn leaving the dealership and there was absolutely no tyre skip! Very happy this problem has now been corrected. It was done in goodwill by Mercedes as the car is a year out of warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all

We purchased our 2017 GLC 220d on 9th April and was aware of this issue before we purchased but proceeded with it anyways as is under warranty until the end of November 2020.

The car has Pirelli Scorpion Verde all round and I saw from the cars last service that there was excessive wear on the NSF tyre along with the CV boot split!

I was looking for the issue when parking and couldn't notice it until I went to do the shopping. Outside temp was approx. 20 degrees and was skipping on full left lock.

I emailed the UK MB customer services who advised that they will assess and implement the fix it as soon as the local dealer opens up. (I was sure to include the part numbers of the new knuckles I previously came across a few weeks back).

Its due its first B service which the dealer we brought from (Manchester) will cover the cost of (including the recommended extras approx. £600!) when our dealership in Portsmouth reopens.

I feel that since being on this forum, Im starting to amass a list of things I want to bring to their attention!

I'll post an update as and when...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not so on the Knuckle fixes here in the UK

Our car was fitted with new Main Struts that totally change the steering geometry

There are photos in the Crabbing thread - will try to track them down

·
Registered
152 Posts

321 - 338 of 338 Posts